Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Default 2008 Hi-lo 15T won't lift

Hello. On my most recent trips with my 15T, I experienced the following symptoms that seem to have culminated in the trailer being unable to be raised electronically. At night, when I had a light on and simultaneously turned on another electric item (a different light, the water pump), the electricity/lights on my refrigerator shut off and then went back on. On three separate occasions, this was accompanied by a series of three beeps of unknown origin. When I returned home and attempted to raise the trailer, it was extremely sluggish and was barely raising, even when connected to AC current. A short while later, it simply did not raise at all. That is it's current status. Any ideas on the problem and how to solve it? Thanks for your responses, Jerry

goyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Team

I kinda suspect a ground is not making good contact. Probably corrosion. But, it could be anywhere. Not much help I know, but presuming the battery is good, fully charged etc, then the likely suspect is grounding. The three beeps was most likely the carbon monoxide detector. NO idea why the lights flickered. Again I suspect grounding.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Thanks, Tree. I was thinking along the same lines.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

sounds like the battery is dead or near. I have those beeps when the battery is dying. found this the hard way. currently am using a new smart charger and disconnecting the battery when not camping. I have not tested my converter / inverter yet b/c of other projects being put in front of our hilo
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

I'm inclined to agree with others ... its the state of the battery(s).

Check the breakers on the Power panel. One of the breakers connects the 30 Amp shore power cable to the Power panel. There is another breaker that supplys the Power Converter, within the Power panel, that converts 120 v AC to 12 V DC that charges the battery.

If nothing changes there, disconnect the 30 Amp shore cable. Next, connect a separate battery charger to the battery(s) to get them to the required 12V state.
The beeps possibly could have come from the Power panel. It will emit noises when power parameters are exceeded.
BandH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

The problem was in the battery after all. Both batteries were fully discharged; one could not be recharged. I replaced both. Neither battery was even 2 years old; I discovered that this short life is not uncommon and have been told that removing them while out of use and connecting a trickle charger will extend their life. Accurate?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Guess I'm lucky enough to be able to keep my Hi Lo plugged into a 20 amp house outlet year round. Never lost a battery in all those years. Even now, my unit is in the mountains, winterized etc, but still plugged in. Only difference was I used to keep a Battery Minder plugged in during off season. But there was no difference in power usage, so now I just leave it plugged in.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 10-20-2018, 12:04 AM   #8

Default Current leak

Hi;

This might not be related to your problem, but a lot of folks have battery trouble because of a current leak through the onboard stereo in a Hi-Lo. I finally noticed in the dark there was a glow around the off/on/volume switch, that's obviously there so you can find the switch in the dark. This light does take a little power, so if the trailer is stored or sits for a while without being connected to 100v "shore power", the battery runs down even though your have nothing else on. (Ours is a 1999 model and other years might not have the same stereo.)

To counter this, I just tip the Stereo fuse out at the 12v fuse box, interrupting the power and the battery stays charged up if nothing else is on. In fact, I left it that way all winter with no charger and the battery was still up in the spring enough to raise the top crisply. If you use the stereo often it would be simple to put a toggle switch on the power wire and mount it just next to the stereo, so you wouldn't have to mess with the fuse.

Another fix for storage is to install a battery disconnect on the positive battery terminal. There are "knife blade" switches or others that you just turn a thumb wheel a couple of turns. That's a lot easier than removing the battery(ies) when in storage.

Roger
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
anchorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorwood View Post
Hi;

This might not be related to your problem, but a lot of folks have battery trouble because of a current leak through the onboard stereo in a Hi-Lo. I finally noticed in the dark there was a glow around the off/on/volume switch, that's obviously there so you can find the switch in the dark. This light does take a little power, so if the trailer is stored or sits for a while without being connected to 100v "shore power", the battery runs down even though your have nothing else on. (Ours is a 1999 model and other years might not have the same stereo.)

To counter this, I just tip the Stereo fuse out at the 12v fuse box, interrupting the power and the battery stays charged up if nothing else is on. In fact, I left it that way all winter with no charger and the battery was still up in the spring enough to raise the top crisply. If you use the stereo often it would be simple to put a toggle switch on the power wire and mount it just next to the stereo, so you wouldn't have to mess with the fuse.

Another fix for storage is to install a battery disconnect on the positive battery terminal. There are "knife blade" switches or others that you just turn a thumb wheel a couple of turns. That's a lot easier than removing the battery(ies) when in storage.

Roger
I put a toggle switch in the compartment right next to the stereo. No big deal and it works like a charm.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #10

Hello, all. Thank you all for your time and support. I replaced the batteries, and that remedied the problem. As I understand it, a trickle charger will help extend the life of my batteries. I have never used one, but from what I've been told, I will be able to leave the batteries installed in the RV and plug them into the trickle charger when I'm at home. My Hi-lo has two batteries connected together, and I would like to know if I can simply connect one of them to the trickle charger and thereby charge them both simultaneously. Thanks in advance, Jerry
Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #11
Site Team

Jerry, I've connected my Battery Minder to one battery and both remain charged exactly the same. My plug hangs out a hole in the plastic wall of the battery compartment so I need only plug it in. I don't disconnect anything.
I also connected a cheap battery condition gauge on the skirt of the trailer, curbside, so at a glance I know Battery state.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC