Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Default 2505C tip-out?

I do not see any type of seal to close off the gap between the door over the tip-out and the lower part of the camper body. A lot of black road grime was found all over the upper walls in the area of the tip-out. I do not see any sign of a flap or other type of seal ever being on the door.

Am I missing something or has a seal been torn off?
Thanks, Chuck Bos

CLBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

HI CLBos Welcome to the forum
No there is no seal on the tip out door. There should be a seal around the opening so that when the top is lowered there is a seal. A lot of dust does get in around this seal tho. Our first trip in our HI-LO was to Alaska and we ran with the vent open on the fan-tastic fan in the bedroom to keep the inside cool. Had put a MaxAir cover over it so we could leave open in rain. This set up a low pressure inside the RV which just sucked dust in around any loose seal. Did not figure this out until we got back home. We now run with all windows and vents closed an it has helped. I plan now to get a piece of foam 5" thick by 6" and long enough to fill the gap at the bottom of the tip out door when traveling. Will use velcro to to make sure it doesn't fall out. Will remove the foam when I set up. Do you plan to attend the rally next week? If so look forward to meeting you.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. We are not attending the rally, our vacation starts Father's Day weekend. I may look at adding something as well to block dust and road grime from being thrown up in the camper. I was thinking some sort of rubber flap or maybe something like the mud flap setup used on the rear of the tow vehicle to prevent rocks from being thrown. This is our first unit with the tip-out, we took our first unit to Alaska and I remember getting some dust inside.
Thanks, Chuck
CLBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

I am going to add mud flaps also. Got quite a few rock chips on the front window cover when we went to Alaska in 09. Will have them on before going back to Alaska in 2012. A dense piece of foam in the gap at the bottom of the tip out door will work out best as I see it. If anyone on the forum has a better idea, I am open to it.
Anyone with a 2010 HI-LO should consider trying to get a cover from JR or a used one from a wreck to protect that window. If nothing else, mud flaps for sure. If the covers are not available let us know on the forum and I can help you find someone in your area who can make it or help you make it. This is not a difficult item to make. The front window can be duplicated with a bit more skill. There are many plexeglass/acrylic canopies and fiberglass panels being made by companies and members of the experimental aircraft assoc.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote