Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

Default 2806 bypass valves / Lowering System

I am trying to un-winterize my water system. I flushed all the antifreeze and found two bypass valves which I turned. I only get about 3 seconds of hot water and it can't get rid of the air in the line. Its almost like I am missing another bypass valve. Any ideas?

Also when raising my 2806 I pull the cable and it raises just fine. When I go to lower it it won't move. I can't it hear anything. its like the safety bar isn't releasing. One dealer told me it gets cought on something on occasion and that I should just try to raise it a little and it should release. That doesn't work when its up all the way. If I pull REALLY hard it will go down however It concerns me that its going to break off.

behrcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Possibly, the system was winterized WITHOUT turning those bypass valves into the bypass position. And, if so, you've turned them to bypass, which may keep you from getting hot water.

I'd try the system with the valves turned the other way. Regardless, in my Hi-Lo, when the valves are turned horizontally, the hot water is available at the faucet. If the valves are vertical (pointing toward each other) they are in the winterizing position and the water heater is bypassed.

There IS possibly a third valve, at the point where a clear plastic tube is attached to a "tee" in the piping. If this valve is vertical, it allows you to suck antifreeze from a bottle into the plumbing with the pump. If the clear tube was not in a bottle of antifreeze, you would suck air. For normal operation (not winterizing) this valve should also be horizontal, not vertical.

The safety bar often gets trapped by the weight of the top on it. You should be able to easily release the safety bar if you press the "up" side of the lifting switch and then pull the bar cable. (It won't hurt to do this with the top up because there is a pressure release valve that is activated at the extreme top of travel). Once you have the bar released, push the "down" side of the lifting switch. As soon as the top has dropped a little bit, you can let go of the cable.

Hope these instructions help.

- Jack

Old 03-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

It could be if you cannot raise your roof high enough to release the safety bar the cables just need to be adjusted. If that's the case it would be a simple fix that would take an hour or so. The first time you do this it may take a little longer.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

You do not need to pull the cable when raising the top. Just leave it alone and you will hear the safety catch drop into place. A bit of cleaning and lubing under there is a good idea when cleaning and lubing the guide rod and the cables.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

I had a similar problem on my first outing with my 2806C and it turned out to be that one of the bypass valves at the hot water heater was in the wrong position. Hope this helps.
Jeanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #6

The handles on the valves point in the direction of flow, so if the valves both point toward the water heater they are correct for normal operation.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

The by pass valves on mine are rigged one vertical and one horizontal . Go figure. Also, per a suggestion on this forum- I find when I first go to use a newly filled hot water tank I need to go out and open the pressure release valve on the trailer to clear the system of air. I don't know why that works but it does.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
The by pass valves on mine are rigged one vertical and one horizontal . Go figure. Also, per a suggestion on this forum- I find when I first go to use a newly filled hot water tank I need to go out and open the pressure release valve on the trailer to clear the system of air. I don't know why that works but it does.
You have to get that air bubble out either by doing that or by keeping the faucets open while filling to get the tank completely filled. One thing I never learned until recently, by reading the manual, was that after the water heater is filled turn the water supply off or turn the pump off then open a faucet to let the pressure off the system. Then open pressure relief valve and allow the water to drain until it stops. That provides an air gap for expansion of heated water and prevents water from leaking from the pressure relief valve. I think it also cuts down on the amount the pump starts and stops as well.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

thanks, Rich. It was YOU I got that idea from.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote