Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default About flipping axle over

The trailer axles have a positive camber angle built into the axle, when the axle is flipped over the positive camber angle changes to negative and the tires will wear on the inside. If you look at an HI-LO axle the center is bowed upward, when flipped the bow goes downward. If you take long trips of around 6 to 8,000 miles, don't be surprised if it takes a set of tires for each trip.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

I noticed that Towliter had said he flipped his on his '95 215TL and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile. I like to go to very remote areas and I worry about high centering or tearing off the plumbing. I guess I will continue to be careful in the future. It is a good policy anyway.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #3

I looked under the trailer and it has the slight bow you described, not that I doubted you. I am thinking my issue of uneven wear was the same as you experienced. A bent axle from a pothole. In Utah sometimes the dirt roads are in better shape than the streets.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If you find your axles are bent and you decide to have them corrected, have the shop weld new spring pads on the top of the axles, this will give you the extra height and will not effect the camber angles. It would probably be best if you pick up the spring pads, as you won't have the extra cost of them having to find them. You could also get the pads and have a welder put them on.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Thanks that's a great idea. I think I'll start looking at my usual freight damage/overstock/yard sale/classified spots. When we head out into the desert we often have full water tanks, all our 4WD emergency stuff and two big coolers full of beer ... er soda. We also have a 12V cooler that we have plugged into the truck when we drive to extend the life of our ice.