Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Question Air Compressor

Okay, probably a stupid question (I know, there are none) however, in the 12 volt schematic for my '83 Funlite it shows the wiring to the air compressor. My question is where is it and (other than providing compressed air) what is it used for in the trailer? There is no other reference to it anywhere else in the manual.

techjak2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #2

Just a guess but I would use it to air up tires.Sounds useful to me...But I already got a very compact Ryobi 18v air compressor that works with battery for my drill and impact driver,which are always with me

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Site Team

tech, I done some work on many different RVs and several different years of Hi Los and have never seen a factory installed air compressor, only a couple of self installed units. It is a good idea. Like that old salt, cva34, I carry my own portable one. Mine is a Slime complete tire repair kit. works off 12 or 120v. So if your Hi Lo is wired for it, find it or install one. You'd carry one with you so weight is not in question. Just my 2 cents.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

I don't know about Hi-Lo but some trailers had a pressurized water tank to supply water to the trailer rather than using a pump. There was an air valve that had to be used to pressurize the tank.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Site Team

I like Rich's answer here. Jack, does your HiLo have a water pump to move water from the fresh water tank to the faucets? If so, you don't have the pressurized system.

But, like Tree and cva, I carry an air compressor with me too, to inflate any tires that are low. Mine is a 120V one and I power it off my 1000W generator.

- Jack
Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #6

Back in the day fresh water was pressurized by a compressor. Like Rich says. We went to the gas station and used their air hose at the pump island to pressurize the system typically. Then the compressor maintained a pressure head to force the water through the lines. My 1964 Holiday Rambler Trav'ler had such a system.
These were a real pain to live with. If the system was low on water and the pressure was down, the compressor would run for a long time before it reached a useful pressure (why we went to gas stations to charge the system). The demand pumps we use today are far more satisfactory.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

The pressurized water system makes more sense. Mine does have a Shur-Flo water pump so that would explain why I couldn't find it! The fuse block in the wiring diagram is probably just a hold-over from that type of system. Haven't gotten to really dig into the wiring of the thing ... been raining here a lot and I'm about ready to build an ark!

I always carry a compressor in my car, so not an issue (120 psi max, think it's the slime kit as well. Has a coiled hose that's about 25 feet. Runs off the cig lighter. Thanks!

techjak2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 v wiring, air compressor, electrical, funlite