Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #1

Default Battery charge level

Replaced battery and indicator showed "Fair". Plugged into electricity and battery stayed at "Fair" even after a week of being plugged into electricity. (I have 1988 Hi Lo which has been parked for many years.) As I recall, in the past the light was always showing "Good". Getting ready for a trip. Is there something I should check in the converter??? Shouldn't new batteries show "Good" from the start? Maybe a bad new battery? All suggestions appreciated!!!

CindyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Cindy, you COULD have one or more blown fuses in the converter battery charge circuit. I had this happen in mine and the converter stopped charging the battery. Here's my thread on the problem and the repair: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28...g-repair-6454/

But, you can check your battery charge state with a multimeter, which you can buy for around $30 I think at home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowes. If the battery is not operating anything and it is fully charged and new, you should see 12.7V at the battery terminals.

If you used the battery to raise the top or if it's been operating something in the trailer and is not being charged, then it might show "fair" on the gauge in the trailer. You really need a multimeter to see the actual charge though. As I recall, a reading of 12.4V is about 75% charged and 12.2V is 50%. But all these readings are with NOTHING being powered by the battery!

- Jack

Old 07-30-2020, 11:10 PM   #3

Cindy, the indicator lights on the panel are far less reliable than the multimeter readings mentioned by Jack. For instance, if you are plugged into "shore power" with the 110-120 volt cord, the indicator lights probably aren't meaningful.

A friend of mine wired a voltmeter in beside the panel and connected it right to the battery. Still, you need to have no other load on the battery as Jack says when you look at it, and not in a charging state by either the converter or tow vehicle.

Those lights confuse just about everyone at one time or another.
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
anchorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

Thanks so much!!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #5

Thanks for responding! All info is beneficial!