Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Default battery humming

We have a 91 is it normal to hear a humming noise all the time from the ??? fuse box /converter?

betty stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #2

Default humming noise

The converter can make a humming noise whenever it is plugged in

Castbulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

That is probably the transformer in the converter making the noise. The plates may be a bit loose allowing them to vibrate.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
That is probably the transformer in the converter making the noise. The plates may be a bit loose allowing them to vibrate.
And here I thought the converter was just a bad singer . . .
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Cool

It has made this sound since we purchased it 3 years ago, is it possible to tighten this myself? Thank you
betty stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

I can't say that you can fix it. The coil windings are actually what vibrate because of the changing magnetic field from AC current which in turn cause the plates to vibrate. Transformers years ago had the plates bolted together and could be tightened, but they now could use some type of adhesive to keep them together. You may also want to see if the transformer is tightly mounted to the chassis and if there is something against it that could be vibrating with it. As transformers age the materials they are made from dry out and make things not as tight as when new thus allowing things to vibrate. The cost to replace the transformer, if you could find one, would probably approach the cost of a new converter.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I can't say that you can fix it. The coil windings are actually what vibrate because of the changing magnetic field from AC current which in turn cause the plates to vibrate. Transformers years ago had the plates bolted together and could be tightened, but they now could use some type of adhesive to keep them together. You may also want to see if the transformer is tightly mounted to the chassis and if there is something against it that could be vibrating with it. As transformers age the materials they are made from dry out and make things not as tight as when new thus allowing things to vibrate. The cost to replace the transformer, if you could find one, would probably approach the cost of a new converter.
Remember safety though any time you work around electrical components!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Remember safety though any time you work around electrical components!
Agreed, before you start opening up the converter, make sure that the trailer is not connected to AC power. Also, disconnect the batteries.

If the noise is truly a hum and not a rattle, you may not be able to do anything about it because some transformers make noise no matter how tight they are. Do not use any type of adhesives, tapes, etc. Transformers get hot and this may melt or catch fire.

A simple fix may be to support the outer case of the whole converter better. In other words, make it more rigid. With the converter connected and making the noise, press on the front, sides, etc, to see if the noise decreases. If it does, you can use some wood blocking to make it more rigid. But you need to make sure that you don't violate any installation clearance requirements that the converter may have (check the converter manual for this).

Lastly, you may be able to glue some noise deadening material to the outer case (again, check for clearance requirements). Do a web search for, automotive sound deadening. You will find a number of materials that you can use, some have an adhesive backing already.

Good luck.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
Agreed, before you start opening up the converter, make sure that the trailer is not connected to AC power. Also, disconnect the batteries.

If the noise is truly a hum and not a rattle, you may not be able to do anything about it because some transformers make noise no matter how tight they are. Do not use any type of adhesives, tapes, etc. Transformers get hot and this may melt or catch fire.

A simple fix may be to support the outer case of the whole converter better. In other words, make it more rigid. With the converter connected and making the noise, press on the front, sides, etc, to see if the noise decreases. If it does, you can use some wood blocking to make it more rigid. But you need to make sure that you don't violate any installation clearance requirements that the converter may have (check the converter manual for this).

Lastly, you may be able to glue some noise deadening material to the outer case (again, check for clearance requirements). Do a web search for, automotive sound deadening. You will find a number of materials that you can use, some have an adhesive backing already.

Good luck.
Yes to all of the above.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Now ya'll got me curious as to the architecture of a converter-charger. Is the charger portion a separate component inside the converter box that can be replaced or is it just a board? Could it be the charger making the hum?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

I believe it is all one unit in most cases.

This is an example: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...rs/55-8805.htm

If I was to replace the converter in the Hilo this would be the one to get.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #12

If you glued or attached noise deadening material to the outer cover, wouldn't this tend to cause the converter to overheat and create other problems? Just wondering...................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
If you glued or attached noise deadening material to the outer cover, wouldn't this tend to cause the converter to overheat and create other problems? Just wondering...................

Bob
Good point. On my model the converter is under the rear dinette bench seat. There is an air intake screen in the front which I placed a red label reminding myself not to block it.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post

Bob
It depends on the converter. Some of the standalone ones have fins for cooling on the outside and those should not be blocked, have stuff glued on, etc. Others use a fan or convection to circulate air through the inside via vents on the front, rear, etc. In these it may be OK to add something to the outer surface, provided any clearance requirements listed in the installation manual aren't violated.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote