Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Unhappy Boondocking how long can I run ac on battery

Bought new Marine battery 12V Deep Cycle Group Size 24M 550CCA Part 24DC-2 installed yesterday . Don't have room for a Size 27. Have a 19t and am headed to nc on Thursday but have to drive about 4 to 5 hours then pull into a rest area. Hurt my ankle and can't do the 10 hour drive plus have a new puppy 4 months old. Could I run a small fan that I use at home? Any help really appreciated you all helped out with the battery issue. Janice's

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #2

You can NOT run the A/C with 12v/batteries.

You will need 120v.

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Janice, I'm concerned and possibly confused! You say you bought a 24V battery? That will NOT work in your trailer. It needs a 12V battery, or, it might hold two of them connected in parallel so that the output remains 12V.

A 24V battery would blow every fuse in your trailer and possibly damage other components.

- Jack
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Janice, the two posters above are absolutely correct. No AC will work on any battery we might be concerned with. I'm hoping you said you bought a "size 24" battery. Keep in mind that high amperage appliances like microwaves, coffeemakers, air conditioners, hair dryers and the like are generally not to be used without actually being plugged into a standard 120 volt outlet.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Site Team

I suspect I got confused by Janice's post, now that I've re-read it and seen notanlines' post. I think she WAS referring to a Group size 24 battery. I need to learn to read more carefully!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

You could buy an inverter that converts DC to AC power and it will run a fan for a while as a small fan doesn't use much power. But you will need a 12V power port to plug the inverter into. Small inverters of the size you would need to run a fan or small appliances are relatively cheap and can be bought at most any Wal Mart or other dept. store.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Team

Janice, I see you've clarified your original post. Look at the base plate on your fan. Usually, you'll find the electrical specs there. You need to know what "Wattage" it requires. Then, you need to buy an inverter that has a higher wattage rating than the fan needs. To be safe, I'd get an inverter that has a capacity that's at least 50% higher than the fan spec.

So, if your fan pulls 150W, get an inverter rated at 225W. The extra power is not used if it's not needed, but the inverter will not have to work as hard if it has the higher capacity. You'll plug the fan into the inverter after you plug the inverter into a 12V outlet.

- Jack
Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

Why not forget the inverter and buy a 12v dc fan? You lose more wattage through the inverter than the fan will probably draw.
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-SP5708...rds=12v+rv+fan
Old 06-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

For whatever it may be worth, our cheap three speed 20" box fan draws 85 watts when running on high according to the watt meter on the inverter. I seem to remember it draws about 140 or so when just starting.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
Why not forget the inverter and buy a 12v dc fan? You lose more wattage through the inverter than the fan will probably draw.
Amazon.com: Hopkins SP570804 12 Volt Oscillating Fan: Automotive
Good point, Charlie. That would be a lot less expensive than buying an inverter. Then again, an inverter could possibly be used for other appliances . . .
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Good point, Charlie. That would be a lot less expensive than buying an inverter. Then again, an inverter could possibly be used for other appliances . . .
AND, she already has a fan she likes! The small inverter she would need is not that expensive.

- Jack
Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

I vote for the 12 v fan. Does that trailer NOT have a fantastic fan installed? Because those work nice. Also- I assume she is discussing a group 24----sems I remember a post of hers awhile back where we were talking about battery sizes.

in terms of the inverter- given issues she has had figuring that trailer out up until now- an inverter could be a head=ache in the short term if the wiring to the 12v plug is weak or loose or not connected. Those little 12v fans you can get at walgreens or walmart or about anywhere and they are inexpensive.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #13

There is probably close to a 6 percent power loss using an inverter, it varies by manufacturer. I use an inverter to charge my laptop battery because I didn't get the DC adapter (they were over a hundred dollars) but the 100 watt inverter was only $28, and there are cheaper ones available. I figure the more things in the mix the more chance for problems.