Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Default Brought my "new" 1990 Hi-Lo home today, question

well, its not really home since my older (1984 funchaser 21') one is still in the driveway, so its at my local dealer for storage.
anyways, i was wondering what the numbers mean? i did a lot of searching old posts but still am not sure what 229L means?
mine is a '90 Funchaser 229L with a side dinette and front jacknife sofa.
it was almost a 3hr trip to pick it up so i was only in it briefly, but
I LOVE IT!!! i can't wait to play! i want it home so i can check it all out.
i want to take pics to share.......
it looks so much bigger inside than my old one, seems more open, wider and bright.
there is no bunk so i have more cupboards. i like that cause i would not have used the bunk and i am too tall to sit under it in the down position.
they filled the propane tank, inspected it, new battery, cleaned the carpeting etc, and has all new tires on it. plus a brand new roof.
i did not see or feel any water damage inside and the hydraulics work well.
i have someone coming to look at my older one tomorrow and just got an email from another interested party so i hope it sells fast.
i had the dealer hold this one for me as i could not get down last weekend and he said he could have sold it many times over. there was a LOT of interest on it! i came so close to losing out too! we took our good old time getting there, stopped to eat and stopped at one store for a little shopping, because i thought they were open till 5pm.
NOT, they were ready to close at 3pm when we pulled in, OH MY!!! i almost drove 3hrs to arrive at a closed dealership! it was a near miss thats for sure.
good thing we called for directions, we had 10min before they would have been closed and gone. for some reason they thought i would be there at
9am! i have no idea where they got that idea, wasn't from me.
so there were many mixed signals on that one! i coulda swore they were open till 5pm, and they thought for sure i would be there at 9am, even had a guy come in extra to show me the thing and give me a tour and how to operate all the stuff.
i am still so jacked over this whole thing i don't know how i will sleep tonight.
so let me know what the numbers mean and i will know what everyone is talking about when they share their numbers
thanks
joan

Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

Hi Joan! The 22 means it is a 22 foot model. The 9 means it is a 1990. A 2209 would be a 22' 2009 trailer. Your L means it is a classic. If it was a T, it would be designated a towlite (I'm not sure if hi-lo had the towlite models in 1990).

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
sam

Default Your new to love 1990 trailer.

I would check your registration It might say 2290 Hi-Lo ClaSSIC.. Never heard of the L. 22ft. and the year is 1990. What a story getting your trailer!! I once had a family travel several states to keep their childs rehab . checkup apt. to find out it was the wrong date. The hosp. did the best they could to accomodate them. It isn,t hind site a great thing. Always email and call to confirm important things. So happy for you. Take care Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Joan,

Infrequently through the years, when I happened to be near a Hi-Lo dealer, I'd stop and pick a Hi-Lo sales brochure from that year. I only have eight, and one is from 1990! Joan, this is your lucky day!

So according to the brochure, two versions of the Model 229 "FunChaser" were produced in 1990. The "L" version had a sofa in the forward end that converted into a double bed, and a "D" version that had a forward end dinette table and bench seats that converted into a double bed. Socal is correct about how to interpret the "229."

That year Hi-Lo offered the following five basic models: 209 FunMaker, 229 FunChaser, 259 Voyager, 279 Bon Voyage, & 339 Le Grand. The FunChaser, Voyager and Bon Voyage were each available in several style variations, each with its own designator letter... similar to what I described above for the FunChaser.

Who knows why Hi-Lo altered its traditional model numbering system to omit the zero that year. Until looking at the brochure, I'd have agreed with Sam and thought Joan's should be a Model 2290.

I plan to scan all these brochures and enter them into the HTF Library.

Joan, after reading through the brochure, it looks to me like you've found a terrific trailer with a great floor plan! Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

As a point of interest, I have two brochures from 1991. One for what we would now call their "Classic," line, although they didn't label them as such. The other is for their "FunLite" series. Hi-Lo reversed the Model number system for those FunLites... they offered three Funlite Models: 9119L, 9121FLL, and 9123D. Go figure...

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #5

hey thanks Jim! thats good info to know. so i actually got one a bit longer than my 21ft one, and thats a good thing. i also noticed its got a fiberglass exterior. the old one is metal. aluminum?
is there any chance its a bit wider too? the space in there is unreal compared to the '84.
it does have its manuals which i will go over real good when i get it home.

people are still looking for these campers, as they said they only had it 3 days when i jumped on it. had i waited it would have been gone many times over.
he also has a 2008 on his lot, but i like the older ones better.
there is a trailmanor there too which i have never seen in real life. but who wants to wash dishes with your face in the cupboard! lol!
I LOVE MY HI-LO!!
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Joan,

So according to the brochure, two versions of the Model 229 "FunChaser" were produced in 1990. The "L" version had a sofa in the forward end that converted into a double bed, and a "D" version that had a forward end dinette table and bench seats that converted into a double bed. Socal is correct about how to interpret the "229."

Jim
Thanks for the clarification Jim and sorry to the OP. I looked at a 96 classic 22' several weeks ago and the designator was 22L. I assumed the L meant classic as there were towlites that year also. Now I know a little more.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Socal,

No problem. It was interesting to me too. Nor did I know about the model number inconsistencies until digging out those old brochures!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #8

Can you post the brochures in the reference library? I have a Funlite I would like to know more about!
Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I believe that Hi-Lo calls the couch a lounge, L for front lounge, D for front dinette.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #10

That is correct!

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote