Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Communications

Hi all,

Do any of you use portable radios for communications when you're camping? Seems like they would be useful for hitching, backing, or just wandering around the campground. If so, can you recommend a brand/ model?

Thanks,

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

we use a cheap set of Motorolla 2 way radios. They came 2 to a package and I think we got them at Bass Pro, if memory serves correctly. About $45-$50. they work ok

goodolboy1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #3

We have a cheap set of Uniden radios. I don't remember where we got them.

We use them when backing up the trailer into a camping spot or our back yard (with about 8" of clearance on each side of our gate opening).

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
sam

Default Radios

I wonder if walmart would have what you are looking for. Try walmart's website. We have more fun shouting directions at each other.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #5

About a dozen years -or so -ago, I decided we needed a set of these personal radios (while on a cruise). After a short playful time I don't think we ever used them again.

They worked as advertised, but who really wants to be reached 24/7?
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #6

Smile

THIS MIGHT HELP... WE use our cell phones with the speaker ,s on.call one another and I leave my phone on the seat and when backing into camp site just talk and it works pretty well .. enjoy your camping... Happy spring
paulsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

We have done the radio thing but they seemed to be more of a pain to use at times. Visual contact with the mirrors, good hand signals, and the windows down to hear the director are pretty foolproof. Batteries not required.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
We have done the radio thing but they seemed to be more of a pain to use at times. Visual contact with the mirrors, good hand signals, and the windows down to hear the director are pretty foolproof. Batteries not required.
Yeah, DW and I need to get our hand signals and verbage down better. Not sure yet if I'm going to get the radios or not.

Speaking of radios, I noticed your call sign. Do you have a Ham radio in your rig? I am a currently non-practicing Ham but hoping to get more into it soon.

Greg
KG6ISP
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Site Team

We have the radios, but have never used them for parking the trailer. We each have one during hikes so we can stay in touch if we get separated (when we remember to carry them). I think an open window, good hand signals, mirrors, and the willingness to get out and look are the best things to use.

- Jack
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #10

My wife and I are both Ham licensed. We use it when I am flying my hang glider for retrieve. I have one on my harness, while in the air, and relay my position during flight.
I have used it for transmitting directions for medical emergencies and in finding and locating other downed pilots also. We both were nurses before retiring.
The small FRS radios are a cheap and useful tool. But they do have significant distance limitations. Never bet your life on being able to receive and transmit.

These radios use a frequency called "line-of sight" and the signal can be blocked by buildings, hills, etc. You do NOT need a license for an FRS radio.

We don't use them for backing/parking the trlr. I prefer sight and hand signals.
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

I think we would just argue on the radio because my wife likes to say, from the total darkness, " NO, THAT way!" I like her to get me close to the trailer hitch and then I stop and go back and look. More exercise this way. I AM getting a back-up camera, though.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote