Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Default Decided to Sell/ Upgrade

When my bride and I purchased our HiLo it was an experiment to see if we liked the lifestyle and other unknowns. Well we've decided that even though we haven't camped much we do enjoy it (and expecially using it as overflow bedding when company arrives). The problem we continue to run into is space.

Now our 24 footer is fine length-wise but too narrow to pass each other. Add in two large dogs and there's no foot room either.

So tomorrow it'll go to a nearby private sales lot and we'll commence looking for something used/local with a slide-out or two.

As I'm not wanting to lose my truck bed I'll be looking for a hard-sided, bumper pull, 24-26 feet, with slide(s). We've also set a minimum size of a Queen mattress, preferably King like our HiLo. We would also greatly prefer a larger fridge. I prefer minimal extra beds but she wants lots of them so there'll need be a compromise there.

If anyone has any strong recommendations by brand name please offer them up. I guess also any brands to decline - but please explain why.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

You can't go wrong with Airstream. They are built to last and there are some pretty good deals on older ones that are still in good condition. With the all aluminum frame and skin there is little that goes wrong with the overall structure of the trailer. Interiors can always be updated with a little elbow grease.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

1970 airstream international
Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
You can't go wrong with Airstream. They are built to last and there are some pretty good deals on older ones that are still in good condition. With the all aluminum frame and skin there is little that goes wrong with the overall structure of the trailer. Interiors can always be updated with a little elbow grease.
I don't think an older airstream will work based on the requirements: ...with a slide-out or two. Newer ones are very expensive.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

Yeah I thought of that. But really the only trailer I would recommend. Everything else is just built so cheaply nowdays they are not worth the price and develop leaks very easily. My brother has a 69 Airstream that he never maintains. It sat for 6 years and he changed the tires, greased the wheel bearings, and drug it to Arkansas last weekend with no problems. And it didn't leak a drop in the 6 years it sat idle. They are just plain superior trailers and worth the price difference.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

Default Now that was quick!

So I spent the day touring numerous places/dealers, and then purchased one just down the street from where I live. These folks had just purchased a newer/ larger fifth wheel and were anxious to sell their old one.

So what did I get? A 2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite Series M-29.5 RLS. Being priced right allowed me to overlook it being a fifth wheel, and looking like new didn't hurt. Now I need to find/install a matching hitch. And build a covered shed.

For those too polite to ask: $13,000. Hopefully its not gonna be a headache.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #7

Our last tt was an 18' Jayco. We had it for 8 years and really liked it. The only problem we had was a leaky roof.

2408T
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

Talking

Wrascal,

Welcome to the world of S.O.B.'s (Some Other Brand) :-)

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
sam

Default Anyone considering an Airstream

Airstreams have their place just like all brands of trailers. If you are really serious about this brand then spend at least a year reading all you can on the www.airforums.com website. I've been on this forum for three yrs. and have learned so much. DH is a retired sheet metal fabricator with an interest in all things metal.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
sam

Default New to you SOB

Wrascal, Congrats on your new to you 5th wheel. Join a forum with other owners and I;m sure you will cut your learning curve.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #11

RC47, who you calling a SOB? It must be in the air as one of my welcoming messages from the Jayco forum site welcomed me from the SOBs also.

I haven't seen an Airstream for sale in over a year. I do like the looks (and their reputation) but as was pointed out ... I wanted foot room - my dogs like to spread out. This new 5vr has two slides, opposite from each other, which creates a very large living room; and it has a fireplace to consume my medicinal alcohol by.

The elderly gent I purchased this from was explaining that he doesn't like heights, so he allowed his father (yearly) to paint on the roof sealant - once again just before selling it. He is one thoughtful son. I guess it worked, no leaks or stains. I can't say that about my old HiLo which I simply covered when not in use.

I am still fretting, I'm afraid it's too big to handle (in tight spots), time will tell.

Now I need some Canadian - and unwind time. Y'all come on by and join me.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
RC47, who you calling a SOB? It must be in the air as one of my welcoming messages from the Jayco forum site welcomed me from the SOBs also.

I haven't seen an Airstream for sale in over a year. I do like the looks (and their reputation) but as was pointed out ... I wanted foot room - my dogs like to spread out. This new 5vr has two slides, opposite from each other, which creates a very large living room; and it has a fireplace to consume my medicinal alcohol by.

The elderly gent I purchased this from was explaining that he doesn't like heights, so he allowed his father (yearly) to paint on the roof sealant - once again just before selling it. He is one thoughtful son. I guess it worked, no leaks or stains. I can't say that about my old HiLo which I simply covered when not in use.

I am still fretting, I'm afraid it's too big to handle (in tight spots), time will tell.

Now I need some Canadian - and unwind time. Y'all come on by and join me.
Hi wrascal,

Good luck on the sale of your HiLo and congrats on the purchase of your new trailer!

My understanding is that a 5th wheel tracks differently than a travel trailer. Here is an article that explains it:

How to make a turn in a 5th wheel - National RV Travel | Examiner.com
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #13

Good luck Wrascal. I am helping a friend that is in the process of buying a fifth wheel trailer and also needs a hitch. In trying to find a hitch I have learned the trailer supply places have some outrageous prices. You will be much better off finding one on Ebay or somewhere and then taking it to a trailer place to have it installed. One place local wanted nearly $1500 for a hitch and install. But only $250 to install one. Seeing as the online prices for a new hitch average $500, the $1500 price is a massive mark up. Installation isn't terribly difficult but does involve a bit of precision drilling through your TV frame so it would be advisable to let a pro install it.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #14

misfit, the older Airstreams are the best; the new Airstreams (manufactured by Thor Industries) leave a lot to be desired even with their high price.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #15

Last year when I rolled into this town I stumbled upon an independent RV repairman that treated me right. I spoke with him yesterday and he said he would install a new 15K fifth hitch for under $500 out the door. Normally I would go the craigslist route but feel this guy needs an occasional bone - so that's where I'll bring it.

Some owners have advised a slider but this same guy says they're really more hassle than they're worth. He'd be glad to sell me one but says it's not necessary. One more reason I trust him.

I'm meeting the seller in twenty min. for the operational tour, then to the bank.

Chat later, y'all.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
misfit, the older Airstreams are the best; the new Airstreams (manufactured by Thor Industries) leave a lot to be desired even with their high price.

Dee
That's the story with everything today. High prices and low quality. And corporate record profits. Imagine that.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #17

Default It's done.

OK folks, its too late to back out, the deal is done.

The only problem(s) noted was the single battery is weak (and the tray appears to be able to hold two batteries). The battery is code dated G09, which to me likely means July 09- on an 08 trailer? I forget the batteries name but it's also labeled as a marine battery - which I don't think Jayco would use. I'm guessing someone (prior single owner) swapped it (or two) batteries out for this older one - but of course I didn't throw accusations as he is a polite gentleman. Coincidentally I now find out that his current/ larger 5vr is also used ... I wonder if it needed a battery, or two?

WOW, my English/grammar teacher would have fits over that paragraph.

So I'm likely gon'na need a new battery; oh yeah, and two tanks of propane - as both tanks (the larger size) are empty. I wonder if his newer one needs propane? Both minor things but of course the money does add up. Add in sales tax (still unpaid) and the required hitch and my expenses aren't yet done.

I'm sure that I'll always be using shore power so what do y'all think, will a marine battery suffice? I also feel that one battery will be sufficient - but will listen to users with experience. AND, should I go strictly RV deep cycle?

This Cheap Charlie Would spend more - if its really worth it for my usage.

EDIT: Not a single nibble on my HiLo which I attribute to both the wrong season and weekday viewing traffic. I'll be dropping the asking price weekly and do expect someone to eventually feel "what a bargain".
Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #18

Just for full discloser, State Farms wants $29.33 monthly (for $1k deductible). I believe my HiLo was about $10 month for the same coverage. Of course I value the newer one 6-8 times more so that's not bad in my opinion.

Now I'm gonna pour a stiff one - then head to bed. If y'all hurry I'll offer you a night-cap.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #19
Site Team

Wrascal, I don't think a deep cycle battery is particularly more expensive than a marine one, and I think it will last longer under heavy use, such as when you stop for a break on a trip and have it powering the fridge.

As was pointed out, a 5th wheel tracks MUCH differently than a bumper pull. But my Sister pulls a 4-horse gooseneck trailer with her F250 and she's learned how to do everything with it - loaded with hay burners too! So far, not a scratch on it.

- Jack
Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #20

Many manufacturers label their deep cycle batteries as RV-marine. No issue there.

I recommend the largest deep cycle batteries that will fit, group 31 or 27. Better yet, use two CG2 golf cart batteries if they fit. You will have to buy a short jumper cable to wire them in series.

2408T