Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Default e Happy with what you got!

I have been a new member for only a short time. I, being a newbie have gone to almost all of the different threads and read about what a piece of junk someone's Hi-Lo is or what the factory should have done to this or that. Man, you people don't know how good you've got it. We were interested in a new travel trailer. I have always liked the look of the Airstream. Now for all of you who don't think you got a good deal, go price a new 30 ft. Airstream. It was only $89,995.00. Why would I pay twice as much for a travel trailer than my house cost. I was a Ford auto tech for 26 years and learned that if you can find good instructions, anyone can fix anything. I haven't bought my Hi-Lo yet but I have my eye on one that I think will be perfect for us. Sure it's used and a little old, but so am I and I still get along. Unfortunatly we don't live in a perfect world and we have to learn to compromise on some things. If you would have seen what I saw when brand new vehicles were delivered to the dealership not even running and had to be pushed off of the transport truck so that we could make them perfect for the customers, it got a little disheartening at times. So all you owners don't get mad or frustrated, just do some research on what needs to be done and if you can't do it all yourself, find a mechanically gifted friend and bribe the hell out of them so they will come help you. Thanks for listening to my steam release. I hope I haven't offended anyone, if I did I am sorry. Hope to see ya'll (as we say here in Texas) out on the road.

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Bear, glad to have you with us.

But I think you have possibly misunderstood the sentiments in this forum. My take on it is that the vast majority are very happy with their HiLos and wouldn't want any other kind. I know that is certainly true with me.

Yes, some of us have had to repair/modify certain aspects of our trailers, but that is part of the joy. It makes them "our own". I personally, do that same thing for any house or vehicle that I buy.

You've really joined a group of HiLo fans.

- Jack

Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
sam

Default e happy with what you got

I agree with all you comments. Airstreams are nice,but expensive. I've done extensive research on them.Here in Niagara Falls you can buy some homes for $10.000. My neighbors passed away and two good condition homes sold for this low price. I wouldn't cook,sleep or camp differently in any other brand of trailer. Totally agree with your comments.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #4

Default Be happy

Hey guys, I get a little frustrated with people who sound like they want the world to conform to what they think they want or need. I KNOW the Hi-Lo is a good trailer. If I didn't I would look to buy something else. I wasn't raining on everyone in the forum, just the ones who sound like they're spoiled.
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

I and my husband are new HiLo owners and was very excited to find this forum. Especially since they no longer make HiLo's. We purchased our HiLo 2005 27' Towlite thru a dealership. The trailer was hardly used but stored uncovered in the elements. The outside looks a little weather beaten but the inside looks new. We have a 5th wheel that my husband lives in during the week while he is at our place of business. We previously had a tent trailer but sold it for the 5th wheel. This HiLo should suit our needs perfectly for towing and camping. I should be able to tow the vehicle with a small SUV or Crossover. I am looking forward to planning our maiden voyage but first must get it stocked up and ready for the trip. Looking forward to reading all the interesting comments on this thread regarding HiLo ownership.
pstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum pstorey. Lots of nice folks here and very helpful. We have been Hi-Lo owners for many years and just love them. We are getting things ready to leave here in about a month for our first trip of the year. Have fun with your Hi-Lo I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstorey View Post
I and my husband are new HiLo owners and was very excited to find this forum. Especially since they no longer make HiLo's. We purchased our HiLo 2005 27' Towlite thru a dealership. The trailer was hardly used but stored uncovered in the elements. The outside looks a little weather beaten but the inside looks new. We have a 5th wheel that my husband lives in during the week while he is at our place of business. We previously had a tent trailer but sold it for the 5th wheel. This HiLo should suit our needs perfectly for towing and camping. I should be able to tow the vehicle with a small SUV or Crossover. I am looking forward to planning our maiden voyage but first must get it stocked up and ready for the trip. Looking forward to reading all the interesting comments on this thread regarding HiLo ownership.
You mentioned towing with a small SUV or crossover. Your 2705T has a gross weight of 6500 pounds, 4650 empty, so using the 80% rule you will need a tow vehicle with a tow limit of at least 8000 pounds to be able to tow safely and allow for cargo in the TV. You are probably looking at a large SUV or a full size pickup.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/...-2005-hi-lo-7/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Rich brought up the weight issue while towing with a small SUV or other vehicle. That is not the only issue.
The wheel base length/width of the TV is very important to stability while towing, and of course the ability to move such a mass of weight.
This is a safety issue that should not be minimized.
steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
sam

Default New HiLo owner

PSTOREY,welcome to the forum and the world of HiLo ownership. We are not trying to "beat you up". We just want you to be safe when towing. Better to find out now. You will also need a weight distributing hitch and a brake controller. Your vehicle should have things like a heavy duty alternator,transmission cooler and a tow package. Now that you have your Rv you need to get the proper tow vehicle.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #10

Default new owners with surprises

we r happily new owners of a hilo , not sure exactly what we have bought . it is a 1976 - 18' , My first thought was that it would make a great fish house be as we live in MN. but after looking at it closer it looks to be in good shape , the sellers have owned it since 88, we are now looking at cleaning it up & using it for actual camping not fish house
RichieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

Better camper than fish house though it would surely make a comfy fish house. However,The folks on this forum living in arizona and Texas are undoubtedly wondering what the hec you are talking about.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #12

We love our 25ft Classic. We bought it new in 06 and have not regretted it. It's not as fancy as some we see but we're camping right! It's easy to tow, offers great conviences and nobody beats us in mpg's. What more could you ask for?
gmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
sam

Default Be happy with what you got.

Agree with your comments. I've seen some expensive realestate pull into the campground. Wonder how many years they will be making payments? Very happy with our paid for HiLo. I can do everything they can do and am quite content.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
PSTOREY,welcome to the forum and the world of HiLo ownership. We are not trying to "beat you up". We just want you to be safe when towing. Better to find out now. You will also need a weight distributing hitch and a brake controller. Your vehicle should have things like a heavy duty alternator,transmission cooler and a tow package. Now that you have your Rv you need to get the proper tow vehicle.
Tow packages usually consist of nothing more than a different gear ratio in the rear-end, trans cooler, some have an engine oil cooler and maybe a heavy duty alt... but with virtually every vehicle having A/C now, the heavy duty alt. is standard.

Don't be mystified by tow packages, the "basic" truck is identical to the one next to it without a tow package... just with a higher GVW rating.

You want to be safe on the road while towing? Slow down like you are supposed to.

Buying a bigger tow vehicle is not a justification to go 80+ while towing.

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote