Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #1

Default Elixier 45 converter replacement

I am upgrading my converter with a new main board. I can leave the old case and dc panel in place. The Elixier 45 has 2 sets of yellow and white wires coming from the main board to a circuit board in the top of the case.
All four wires connect to one side of this board. On the other end of this circuit board all 4 wires come out 2 yellow and 2 whites
The 2 yellow go to a large connector. Out of this connector is a large red wire that is spliced to a large black wire with a wire Nut The 2 white wires to go the neutral bar.
My replacement main board only has 2 wires. A blue and a white.
I think I should remove the yellow wires and the the new main board blue wire to the black side coming from the trailer wall. The white wire from the new board would connect to the natural bar.
I purchased this new board from best converter. I called and talked to Randy,
he had no idea what I was talking about with the duel yellow wires set
Sure could use your help!
It is installed in our 2310 Hi Lo

Terry

desert trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Could you post some photos of the wires/connections? That would really help explain things.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #3

Default Pictures

Photos attached below. Let me know if you need more photos. Thanks for your help Terry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0904.JPG (31.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0922.JPG (29.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0920.JPG (26.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0921.JPG (34.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

I take it that you are replacing only a circuit board and not the whole converter. And I assume there is no schematic for the new board. The Elixir manual shows no 12 volt wiring. The photos don't show me much, I would have to analyze the setup without having the schematics of both.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I take it that you are replacing only a circuit board and not the whole converter. And I assume there is no schematic for the new board. The Elixir manual shows no 12 volt wiring. The photos don't show me much, I would have to analyze the setup without having the schematics of both.
I'm with Rich on this. You need a schematic of the new board so that you'll know what the wires out of it are for.

- Jack
Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

I am going to stop the project, the new main board was sold as a direct replacement. But the new board sticks out at least 2 inches out the front. Randy at Best Converter fix was to cut off the back of the old case and shove the board out the back.
I will rewire the old one back in. Guys thanks for your help.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
sam

Default Converter problems

Good call on using Best Converter for tech help. We bought our new converter through Best Converter and DH had no trouble hooking it up. Did you give Randy your model #. Maybe he sold you the wrong board? Would you just replace the entire converter.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

I called Randy a few times, about wiring questions. He did not know much about the Exilier Converters. I asked about returning the new board. He will take the board back, and exchange it for a whole new converter.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

Hi Terry; I did get your private message. My HiLo is parked under a shed and I cannot raise the top until I pull it out tomorrow (Sat,). I will look at the wiring on the new converter and compare it with the old Exilier converter to see if I can help you with your problem. I did replace my old converter with a new progressive dynamics converter. I did not have any problems with the wiring. I will get back with you after I look at my system. JIM
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

Thanks Jim, that is great news! That will be a big help!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #11

I finally got my HiLo out and up today. I went thru the old Elixir and its wiring diagram and then the new progressive converter an its wiring Dia. I don't see how I can help with the internal wiring with your new board. If the company that sold you the new board and said it was a direct replacement can't provide you with a wiring diagram then send it back to them. My changeover was easy with the info progressive provided. Most of the wires were pigtailed out the back of the new converter with the exception of the AC circuits. The biggest problem was reaching into the compartment behind the converter with two hands to put the wirenuts on. Good luck with your project. We usually can help but this one stumped me. JIM
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #12

Thanks Jim for checking! This is a great group to work with. I got the main board from Randy at best converter. When we 1st ordered it be said it was a tight fit but would work. When I called to ask for help with the wiring he was very gruff on the phone and no help. When the board would not fit, he said I would have to exchange it for another converter, no direct refund. Stuck with shipping cost both ways!
Jim since I have to exchange it for another converter, what model did you use that would fit in the same hole as the old converter.
Thanks again everyone for all your help!!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #13
sam

Default Ordering converter

When I ordered from Best Converter I just gave him my old model # and he sold us one that would fit/worked. DH has schooling in electrical. He had fun contorting over the couch to install it.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote