Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Default First Post - Intro

Hi,

Purchased a 1993 21 ft HiLo Funlite in the fall of 2012 and I have been lurking and benefiting from this forum tremendously. Thank you! I am new to RV living, now parked in Boerne, Texas, and am working at the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio. I enjoy being in nature, rather than being condemned to stay in an apartment. The other day the awning of my HiLo was ripped off by a gust of wind. Finally, I have a project to work on. Ha ha. Looks like that, eventually, I may be able to contribute.

Chris

czwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwieb View Post
Hi,

Purchased a 1993 21 ft HiLo Funlite in the fall of 2012 and I have been lurking and benefiting from this forum tremendously. Thank you! I am new to RV living, now parked in Boerne, Texas, and am working at the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio. I enjoy being in nature, rather than being condemned to stay in an apartment. The other day the awning of my HiLo was ripped off by a gust of wind. Finally, I have a project to work on. Ha ha. Looks like that, eventually, I may be able to contribute.

Chris
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here. A lot of your questions can probably be answered from the reference library. If not, someone will eventually have an answer for you.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum Chris. Glad you came out of the shadows. :-) Remember, the only dumb question is the one not asked. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

CZWIEB, Welcome to the forum. I wish this forum was around when we purchased our used HiLo eleven years ago. Anyway , will you have to just replace your material in the awning or is the hardwear dammaged? Many of us have done awning repairs. Ask and we will help you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Hi,

Chris
Chris,

Welcome to the forum. You will find valuable assistance for whatever is needed on maintaining your HiLo.

I am located just a short distance from you in Fredericksburg and just replaced our awning a few months ago. Are you going to need a complete unit or just the awning material? When you are ready to order or replace the awning, I can save you a lot of time and effort. We are in Florida and on our way back to Fredericksburg and will be there Monday late. You may call me at 830 990-0906 anytime after Monday and I will be glad to help you with that project.

Here is the post I provided on July 2011 explaining the procedures for replacing the awning http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/...placement-540/ Just scroll down to my post.

I will help you when you are ready.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 T
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
sam

Default Awning help.

Jerry,That is so sweet of you to be willing to make a house call. I'm sure you will be a great in person resource.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

Very kind indeed! The awning is an A&E Grande Pavillion Model 8500 or 9000. Replacement hardware needed are the two rafters which attach to the top brackets as well as two new rivets, unless the experts recommend otherwise . The part numbers are no longer readable. I think the best option is to go to an RV supply shop with the torn rafters and let them find the replacements. Many thanks for any help and feedback.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arm-assmebly.jpg (96.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg torn-rafter.jpg (59.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg top-bracket.jpg (47.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg roller.jpg (55.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #8

Do a seach for rv salvage yards in your area, they may have some used parts that you may need. Even if you have to modify a different model it may save you some money.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
sam

Default Awning replacement

I would have Jerry come over and take a look at your awning,hardwear. He is very handy and knows where on the internet to get parts at reasonable prices. Not all dealers can put in a HiLo awning correctly. Since the awning needs to be replaced their is a way to beef up the supports. Most HiLo owners have had to do this. The post is reattaching awning bracket.By Sam Shields,a retired RV service advisor. 7-31-2010. Jerry would know any good RV services places in your area. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #10

Try checking with a dealer and see if they have a stock of used awning parts. My dealer friend usually has a supply of used parts on hand.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #11

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I will be checking around and see if I can locate the needed parts.

Chris
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Very kind indeed! The awning is an A&E Grande Pavillion Model 8500 or 9000. Replacement hardware needed are the two rafters which attach to the top brackets as well as two new rivets, unless the experts recommend otherwise . The part numbers are no longer readable. I think the best option is to go to an RV supply shop with the torn rafters and let them find the replacements. Many thanks for any help and feedback.

Chris
Chris,

Here is a link that explains the removal/replacement procedure for the A&E awnings.

http://hmcclub.homestead.com/awning_...structions.pdf

You did not say what the length of your awning is. Also, what is the condition of the tube itself? It may be best to just order a complete unit.

I ordered my replacement awning direct from the factory: CUSTOMER PROVIDED MODEL NO. 841 ET14.400. The awning reel is a 14' length on our trailer. The length of the material itself is 13' 1-1/2". The ordering information for our awning is as follows:

1 * B3309777GU.014 R/F,8500HL PL BAMBOO 14'SGL SD
SKU # 9108511581
Ordered: 1.00 EA
Weight per: 18.000 Extended Weight: 18.00
Carrier: UPS RESIDENTIAL GROUND
Scheduled Ship Date: 7/26/2011 from: LAGRANGE, IN

We had wanted the brown/tan/white color combination which they did not have in stock so we settled for a blue/brown/white.

Here is a link for color choices: http://www.dometic.com/93d45f4e-a070...18b396ee.fodoc

Their retail sales office phone: (260) 463-2191

Others on the forum have ordered a less expensive awning [eBay] but had to have the material cut off and re-sewed so it would fit on a Hi Lo which is not as long as those on a standard trailer.

I also had a broken arm that I went to a local RV repair & supply and bought a standard one and cut it to size. I believe the retail sales at the Dometic company can provide the rafter and arm plus whatever hardware you may need to replace.

Our schedule is fairly hectic for the remainder of this month but when you get your material and parts, give me a call and we will work out something. I do not have a riveter but I can borrow my neighbors.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #13

@Jerry,

My awning dimensions are they same as what you ordered.

Chris
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

Dometic tells me that #841 ET14.400 (tube, fabric, springs) cannot be purchased retail and one must go through an RV dealer.

Chris
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #15

In the end that is probably the best route to go anyway. Awnings aren't the most fun thing to work on.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
sam

Default awning repair

I would wait until Jerry gets home so he can recommend a RV repair shop. Jerry should be able to help you find a source to order parts if this is the direction you want to go in. The thing is you can survive without one for a while.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Chris,

Looks like SA has a couple of dealers to choose from.

Deprecated Browser Error
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #18

Couldn't find the precise matching rafters, but my RV dealer was able to order some that were longer by about a foot and had the top brackets already attached. I shortened those with a hacksaw, put everything back together and re-attached the frame to the trailer. Next I will be searching to replace the awning material. Has anybody ideas for a homemade replacement?

Best,

Chris
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #19

I ordered the awning fabric from https://www.rvawningsmart.com/ , on sale for for $119 + $19 shipping.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #20

For everybody's benefit, what information did you have to give them? Trailer brand and model, old awning dimensions, etc.?

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Tags
1993 funllte, awning, newbie, san antonio, texas