Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Default Gel - Coat

I there a such thing as a spray on Gel-coat. My 3389b is starting to look a little drab on it's exterior. I would like to have something that I could shine up when we take it on the road. You know how it is. When your vehicles look good you feel better about everything. I haven't checked anywhere yet, because I was hoping someone on the forum would point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
sam

Default Gel coat care

We use Gell Gloss on our 1990 Classic. It is a wax,cleaner and polisher. We apply it with micro clothes,let it haze up and wipe with a clean micro cloth. Yes it is some work,but leaves a shiny finish. This only has to be done once a year. I just throw the clothes in the washer and reuse. It does come in a spray can at Home Depot or a pour bottle at your local RV place.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Sam, I would love to be able to do that, but evidently this trailer was left out in the Florida sun so long that that the surface of the fiberglass is no longer smooth. You can actually see the fibers. I would like to be able to find something that I could apply that would cover the surface like painting does metal or wood. I can't even imagine what a body shop would charge to refinish the exterior. By the way, tell DH belated happy birthday. It seems he is a year younger than me. But like someone said the other day. Us old folks gotta stick together. How else would these young whippersnappers learn anything.

Happy camping.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Default fiberglass??

Fiberglass?? Ours is Aluminum. When did they change to fiberglass??

Also interested in this feedback as I've got a fiberglass kayak that needs something also.

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
sam

Default Fiberglass shine

Wow,what a dilemma. Stop by a boat repair shop. They might have a suggestion for you. Is all of the exterior down to the fibers? Post a picture.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

Look for a boat detailing place. They are used to working with weathered gelcoat.

Incidentally, the Hi-Lo gelcoat is very thin. My 08 has shiny gelcoat but the texture is not smooth; I can still see the fibers.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote