Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
sam

Default Getting ready for camping

We have spent the last three days washing the exterior,applying Gel Gloss(wax). Then it was onto spray painting the tongue,steps and some rusted areas on the exterior furnace door. Touch up painting was done. Then I got ambitious and taped off the lug nuts and tires. The somewhat rusty rims got a coat of Gloss Rust oleum enamel. Looks great very shiny. DH contorted himself to grease and lubricate the cables ect. Everyday some rain in the forecast. Will have to find a dry day to prime and Koolseal the roof. Discovered the need for caulk around the exterior furnace door. Off to ACE hardwear we go for Lexell caulk. DH replaced some weather stripping around the entrance door. We need to replace the trim where the roof meets the side. We replaced this last year and it shrunk a couple of inches at each end. We have a lot of the trim left on the roll. Can't help thinking if we will be able to do all this maintenance as we age. DH is 67.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #2

Sam! 67 isn't that old, it's only a number. Heck, I'm only 66, for 19 more days. I refuse to get old regardless of what my body is telling me.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Sam,

I just turned 74 and sure do not feel it. Age is a state of mind. Keep your mind active and it will stay young; so will your body.

Enjoy your camping; it is too hot here in south-central Texas. Our next outing will be the last week in September when cooler climes prevail. Meanwhile I am doing a complete re-arrangement in our garage. We have lots of shelving units that prevent storing both cars in the 2-car garage and the MH in the RV garage so I am rearranging everything so we won't have a problem the next time we have a hailstorm. Awfully hot to do that this time of year with 100+ degree temps forecast for the next several days but I should finish up today. Leaving the MH outside in the hot sun is no good for the roof or sides, same with a car.

I hope you have recovered fully and enjoy your outing.

Jerry Curtis
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Well I am 75 and very close to 76, my mind still thinks I am young but the body is breaking down anyway. I know a guy who is 89 and is in much better shape than I am. I try to stay active, putting zink strips on the house roof right now, to prevent moss and mold. Have to rest a lot. Then I have to put Kool Seal on the Hi-Lo roof didn't get it done last fall and now summer is going by. Like it was said don't give up and quit cause that's when you go down hill fast, so they say.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Rich,
I put the zinc strips on our roof about three years ago, haven't had any algae stains since then. I used Roof Wash, like OxyClean, to remove the stains first, it did a great job with relatively little work.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Smile

Age is typically mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Default Age

Well I guess that my turning 60 a few days ago makes me one of the young folks in the group. Body is starting to feel it.
Sam -- glad to read that you are starting to get better and thinking about going camping.
Fla is just to hot this time of the year and add to the fact that out main house AC compressor died on Wednesday and IF my wife and I are lucky then it will be replaced today. It only got up to 86 in the house for the last few days. The cats and the dog did not like it. My wife and I were not happy either. Good news is the 10yr parts and labor that came in the contract when we had it installed. 16 seer 5.5 ton unit. Our electrical bills are normally under $125 during the summer. Wife likes to keep it cool in the house what can I say.
Well going to work on the bearings this weekend. Hope to get everything ready for a nice camping weekend in a few weeks.
Sam -- Enjoy

Later Tim and Nancy and a dog that wants to go camping
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
sam

Default HiLo maintenance

So glad for each one that responded to the age comment. I feel great!! Only had to be in the hospital for five tune ups. I keep saying the old gray mare she ain't what she used to be.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

I feel the youngest of all. I will be 57 on the 27th of September. After 50 everything seems to start failing. But, when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the ground and you are still breathing everyday is a good day!
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Default else

Something else to think about is that each day as you start to wake up and you feel that pain in your (fill in the blank) just look at it this way. The pain means that you are alive!!! RaRa. Pain therefore must be good right. Well..

Everyone try to get out and go camping if you get the chance. Also report in with pics as to where you went.

Later Tim
Old 08-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #11

Got yah all beat I am only 49
Old 08-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Sam, I have found that you can also get Lexel caulk at Lowes. I don't know what you pay where you are but Lowes was the cheapest around here.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #13

Good reply pain is a great motivator. Here is a pic from where we went in Mackinac City, Michigan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poe Reef Lighthouse.jpg (89.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Mackinac Bridge.jpg (89.2 KB, 6 views)
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
sam

Default Lexel caulk

Ace hardwear is only twenty minutes from my home. Lowes would be 1and 1/2 hr. round trip. I,m sure other forum members will be able to get the caulk at Lowes. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Default Michigan -- Minnesota

If you can camp in Michigan then sometime try going around and go to Split Rock Light house North of Duluth, Minnesota. The whole North Shore is a great area. Took the children there many years ago and still remember having a good time.
Thanks for sharing the pics and making me think of good times.

Later Tim
Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #16

Technically, Duluth would be considered on the Southern shore of lake Superior (more or less...). Of course if you are talking about leaving Mackinac and driving North into Canada and around Lake Superior you are certainly travelling the North shore and it is, indeed, a terrific trip. The southern shore of that lake-across Michigan's UP and Northern Wisconsnin is a beautiful area, as well.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #17

Default Duluth

Rick
I think of Duluth as at the South Western bottom of Lake Superior. So it's up to where you are at in Michigan as to how you would go. I would try to drive under Lake Superior into Wisconsin then into Minnesota and Duluth then drive up 61 as far as I wanted. The idea of taking a camper into and out of US Customs sends chills up and down my spine. The Canadian officials always seemed easy to deal with, just the US ones that worry me.
Wherever your travels take you enjoy.

Just thought about looking for a few pics that we took when we were on the North Shore with the kids, then went wait a minute that was before we had digital camera's. Have to dig through a few 35mm pics to find those pics, someday.

Later Tim and Nancy that have gone camping before in a few places. Ok, the dog wants to go to a few more also.