Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Lisa - I don't know anything about the items you bought. Like Sam, I highly recommend Lexel caulk, which I've bought at ACE hardware, and/or, Eternabond tape, which I purchased online. Eternabond seems to be waterproof, and it adheres forever (I used it to mount my solar panels on the roof of my Hi-Lo).

What you have may certainly work, but I'd stick with products that forum members recommend.

- Jack
Thank you Jack. I was wondering about them as well. I have the Eternabond Tape (that is the black roll) just was not sure how to use it. I purchased it online and it was saying that I could use it to put along the top of the trailer on the sides. but that it does not stick to silicone. I have removed all of the silicone alone the top of the trailer. I am going to order the Lexel Caulk because I cannot find it here, even at Ace Hardware. Seems like it is proven to work on this forum.

thanks again for your reply

i purchased a lemon and now trying to turn it into lemonade (that's just my inside joke). wasn't aware the trailer had water damage in one wall.

lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #22
sam

Default Help with repairs

I would go back to ACE hardware and ask a sales person to help you find the Lexel caulk(save on shipping). Get on the externabond website for install instructions. Seems to me I remember some one putting it in the freezer and not stretching it when applying. Preperation is key. Get it positioned correctly the first time and you can't do over. Disclaimer...I haven't had to use externabond in my repairs.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #23
Site Team

I'm not trying to start an argument with Sam (who is an acknowledged expert on Hi-Lo repairs), but I did not have to do anything special when I applied my EternaBond. I didn't use any special cleaners, just 409, but I wiped it off well with water afterwards and let it dry completely.

I know I didn't stretch it. The main difficulty is getting it positioned properly at the beginning on a long, straight run. If it is not parallel to the edge you are taping, you may get a "wrinkle" in it somewhere along the way as you attempt to change direction to follow the edge. I had two segments with small wrinkles because of this. It's cosmetic. The tape is still holding perfectly after two years. It is on top of the trailer and has had no extra coatings applied to "weatherproof" it. In fact, the first image in the review section here: https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...WH4DNMPWXEZ7SY is the one I took of my trailer with the solar panels installed. It looks the same today.

I WILL say I used white EternaBond. I think you would like white better than black too. I have no idea if it can be painted, but I suspect it can.

And, Lisa, EternaBond is a brand name. The tape roll in your picture doesn't look like it's the same thing to me. It's also expensive. I got a 4" x 50 ft roll and it was around $50 from Amazon.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument with Sam (who is an acknowledged expert on Hi-Lo repairs), but I did not have to do anything special when I applied my EternaBond. I didn't use any special cleaners, just 409, but I wiped it off well with water afterwards and let it dry completely.

I know I didn't stretch it. The main difficulty is getting it positioned properly at the beginning on a long, straight run. If it is not parallel to the edge you are taping, you may get a "wrinkle" in it somewhere along the way as you attempt to change direction to follow the edge. I had two segments with small wrinkles because of this. It's cosmetic. The tape is still holding perfectly after two years. It is on top of the trailer and has had no extra coatings applied to "weatherproof" it. In fact, the first image in the review section here: https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...WH4DNMPWXEZ7SY is the one I took of my trailer with the solar panels installed. It looks the same today.

I WILL say I used white EternaBond. I think you would like white better than black too. I have no idea if it can be painted, but I suspect it can.

And, Lisa, EternaBond is a brand name. The tape roll in your picture doesn't look like it's the same thing to me. It's also expensive. I got a 4" x 50 ft roll and it was around $50 from Amazon.

- Jack
Jack I purchased the EternaBond off of Ebay. This is the info the seller was posting (These rolls were purchased from EternaBond a few years ago in jumbo rolls. They were then cut into 3"x 50' rolls. For this reason the labels do not say EternaBond.) I sure hope it is true. I have an aluminum grey roof and really hope this will stick to the edge. When I tore out the inside wall I found three places where the water was running down the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170205_094610.jpg (103.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20170205_094619.jpg (75.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20170205_094630.jpg (121.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #25

I looked under my trailer the other day when I saw water dripping. once again Low and Behold, the pipe has broken away from the tank. Without having to replace the tank do anyone know how I can re-attach it where it has broken apart. I will try and upload the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161011_102455.jpg (150.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20161011_102505.jpg (69.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #26

Lisa, google "rv black tank line repair". A page will pop up showing several you tube videos you can watch on the repair. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #27
Site Team

Lisa, EternaBond tape has a silicone coated film on the sticky side that you peel off as you lay it down. If your tape has that, it's probably EternaBond. I know there ARE ebay sellers who cut the rolls down from the standard 50' lengths and sell shorter ones.

What you have pictured above kind of looks like it has that film, but you would know for sure.

I'm guessing your black tank pipe separated due to the poor retention by the string. That was not a good solution by the previous owner. Note the broken rusted metal strap hanger - try to use something like that when you complete the repair. You can find straps like that in Home Depot or Ace and probably Lowes too.

- Jack
Old 02-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #28

Here is a thread I posted on issues I had. It may or maynot offer insight.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f27/...nted-fix-4546/

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #29
sam

Default Jack

I value any post that you do and would never take offense to anything you say. You have been a valued contributor as well and have done your share of mods and repairs. I never claim to be anything but an amateur repair person. I leave all the mechanical repairs up to DH. I'm just the clean up and supervision person. We haven't had much snow and that is alright with me. Just very cold with a mean windchill. You just want to run from your truck into a warm store/house.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
Site Team

Thanks, Sam - I knew your Husband did the MAJOR repair work on your trailer, but I see you two as a team and when I refer to your posts, I'm referring to the team. My "repairs" have been minimal, thank goodness, nothing like the rebuild work you have both done.

So, you are BOTH experts in my eyes!

- Jack
Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #31

FYI; I see that Lowes is now stocking Lexel
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #32
sam

Default Thanks for the information

The Lowes is 45 minutes from my home. ACE hardware is only a 1/2hr. round trip for me. Good to know of another source for this product.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #33

excuse me for being "duh" but what is Lexel?
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #34

A brand of caulk. good stuff.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1992 hi-lo classic, 2292l, texas