Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Question Heat

New owner here ... 2805C, looking at the list of things included in the original sale is a HEAT STRIP ... would that be part of the AC and I am just not seeing where to or how to use it ???

HI-LO 2805 C
2007 Gold Wing
Time Out Camper
kalohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalohe View Post
New owner here ... 2805C, looking at the list of things included in the original sale is a HEAT STRIP ... would that be part of the AC and I am just not seeing where to or how to use it ???
Sounds like you might have a heat pump, rather than a simple AC? It probably activates automatically when you select heat if the outside air is cold enough. At least that's the way they work on the heat pumps in our home.

- Jack

Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Default Heat Strips

Kalohe
Welcome to the Hi Lo forum. I also own a 2805C. We bought ours used and it came to us with a heat strip. The heat strip is in the air conditioner unit. On the front panel of the air conditioner that is a selection to cut on the heat strip. I've only tried it once. It did not heat the Hi Lo with any degree of success so we have not used or depended on it for heat.
Your Hi Lo does have a furnance which uses propane and heats the camper up really well. We have cut it on a couple of times. But if you run it boondocking you'll quickly run your battery down running the blower motor. When we camp and have electricity hook ups we heat the Hi Lo with a small electric heater. That uses the campground's electricity and saves our propane.
Hope this helps. Let us know if you find the heat strips controls.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalohe View Post
The heat strip for an air conditioner would be a goood way to keep the 'bite' of during the winter months,. I have yet to find a heat strip but restassure if one appears while we ar out antiquing.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

The heat strip is meant to take the chill off in the trailer. It is not meant to heat the trailer like the furnace. It is controlled manually by the switch on the a/c control panel. It is not controlled thermostatically like the furnace. Hope this helps you out.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

Tend to agree with all, here. The "heat strip" was offered to me as an aftermarket option by my dealer for about 40$ installed- which was just to be wired into the existing AC in some way. I agree with jack that it makes it into a "heat pump" in as much as I understand those things. I didn't get one.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

I have a 2805C also and the AC switch does have the positions for the heat strip but you will only get heat if the strip was purchased and installed. Since the HiLo is wired for only 30 amps the strip is not going to put out a lot of heat. On a home type heat pump different, sizes (wattage) strips are available to install, so your pocketbook sets the amt of heat you will get. As Papa said a small electric heater is a good option.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #8

I also like the Mr Buddy small propane heaters if you want to take the " bite" out and you don't have to worry about wattage. Just keep the trailer well ventilated.

4x4
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

The heat strip is a "plug in and play" type item. The a/c is already wired for the heat strip if the control panel on the front of the a/c shows a "Heat" setting. Basically, it is like blowing air over your toaster. We have used our heat strip several times. We also carry a portable ceramic heater in the trailer. One advantage to the heat strip over a portable heater is that you don't have to worry about tripping over the unit or the power cord.

Bob
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input ... I do not find any indication of heat on the panel so it must not have been installed. But like everyone says I am probably not missing anything. We have put an Eaden Pure on board for chilly nights.
HI-LO 2805 C
2007 Gold Wing
Time Out Camper
kalohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

I would like to dispell the notion that the heat strip makes the A/C into a heat pump! heat pump is when the A/C's cooling pump (which pumps freon like gas) backwards "per se" through your AC. I have this type of setup in my 5th wheel. what it does is compressing the gas, causes HEAT, which in typical A/C fashion it then dispersed via the coils on the outside of the AC unit, then the gas continues to the cold coils inside the unit, which is then released into those cold coils that causes them to get cold due to dynamics of expaning gas.

When the system is turned around (ran backwards per se) the heat is generated by again the FREON gases being compressed, which then in the nromal circuit of flow, the heat is to be "given off" to the inside coils, which heats your camper, then the outside coils get the expansion gases which cools those coils, just not as much. That is a heat pump.

Here's a video on how it works...
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #12

Ok

Then How does the heat strip work? I assumed it caused, on a small basis, what you described happens on a large basis with larger units. Is the heat strip just a heating coil, then??? llke an electric heater?? Or, are you saying that the heat strip "per se" does not turn the unit into a heat pump? In other words- that though the AC unit may well, indeed, be designed to also function as a 'heat pump' , its not JUST the heat strip that does it. The youtube video DOES show a "heat strip" as part of the final cycle of dispensing heat into the 'house'.

rick

4x4
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

You are correct. It is simply a heat element that works with the fan to circulate the heat. I have been told they really don't work that well. A standard electric heater will do the job just as well and in most cases be much quieter.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
You are correct. It is simply a heat element that works with the fan to circulate the heat. I have been told they really don't work that well. A standard electric heater will do the job just as well and in most cases be much quieter.
RichR is correct. Take your money and purchase an electric heater instead of the heat strip. Although the heat strip was easy to install, it wasn't worth the purchase price. I would rate it a 4 out of 10. The blower for the A/C is noisy but it does move the air around the camper. It also puts added wear and tear on the A/C controls and blower motor.

1998 21TL
2005 Silverado
Thankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Sting, your post MAY have been aimed at me, and I assure you, though I used the "heat pump" phrase, I know a heat strip does not "create" a heat pump. But, some heat pumps do use supplemental heat when the outside air temp is very low to either speed up indoor heating or to improve the heat output. The ones on our house have this "feature" - I don't know that I care for it.

However, I was not aware that AC units could be equipped with an electric heating element which could be turned on with the unit in the "fan" position. It makes sense, but I can see there are more efficient approaches.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Ok

Then How does the heat strip work? I assumed it caused, on a small basis, what you described happens on a large basis with larger units. Is the heat strip just a heating coil, then??? llke an electric heater?? Or, are you saying that the heat strip "per se" does not turn the unit into a heat pump? In other words- that though the AC unit may well, indeed, be designed to also function as a 'heat pump' , its not JUST the heat strip that does it. The youtube video DOES show a "heat strip" as part of the final cycle of dispensing heat into the 'house'.

rick
Hilltool,

To answer your question, the heating element that mounts inside the AC unit is nothing more than a heat strip. I have found in my advanced years that a picture is worth a whole lot of explaining. I am attaching a pic of our AC control switch. You will notice that there are [3] setting each [Hi, Lo, Med] for the fan and for the AC cooling unit. The 3rd setting [OPTional Heat is for use with a heat strip that you must buy separately and install inside the AC unit. This is the setting you would use to activate the heat strip inside the AC unit. They are easily installed and the unit usually comes with mounting screws and it plugs into an existing jack stored inside the unit's interior cover.

I have found that in the RV's we have owned that had these installed and in really cold climes, they do assist in maintaining a comfort level when used with the central heating unit. I do not know if these work in conjucntion with the AC thermostat setting but I would suspect they do. To be sure, you would have to monitor it closely. Often times when it is moderately cold, these will keep your RV comfortable by themselves. They are a little noisier than a space heater but not too bad.

I hope this helps anyone considering a heat strip decide if they want to install one in their unit. I have been looking for one but the RV supplies I've visited had sold out and Harbor freight did not handle them so I am still looking. We won't need it until next spring so I will shop around.

Here are a couple of links describing these heat strips:
RV Air Conditioner Heat Strip | ModMyRV

Penguin heat strip - Bing Images

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (96.3 KB, 14 views)
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #17

Jerry

Here is a link to my local dealer who was a hi lo dealer. He offered to get one for me last spring but I declined. But, I'm sure they would be happy to get you one. And, you should like their name

Rick

Jerrys Camping Center: Travel Trailers, Expandables, Pop-Ups, Fifth Wheels, Truck Caps, Motorhomes, Truck Campers: Madison Wisconsin

4x4
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #18

We love our heat strip. It had been enough to heat our trailer even when the temps were near freezing. Of course we are dressed for cool weather with long pants and sleeves, but it has done a remarkable job and no cords or heaters sitting around. We camp all year round and rarely use the propane heater. Hope this helps. I love this forum- I have gotten so much good information from the good folks here.
Pipers Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #19

Here is what the heat strip looks like that plugs into your a/c unit.heat-strip.jpg

Bob
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #20

My AC unit has the option for a heat strip, and it is just an addition to the unit and is just an electric element that heats up... similar to a oven element... A heat is pump is a different beast and not too common on an older RV unlesss replaced by PO.

Also be VERY AWARE that there is a major recall on most of these elements as they are FIRE HAZARDS!!! Not ALL - but a lot of them. There are 2 notices in the office at the CG I am living at.

Not saying yours is or anyone elses is a fire hazard, but consider it is a heating element in a plastic case and go from there.

I heat mine with a small electric heater with a fan... I also have a Mr Heater but have yet to use it - hasn't been cold enough yet.

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote