Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Default Hi Everyone! Newbie to the forum intro :)

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, discovered you all when my wife found a 1971 14' HiLo for sale on Craigslist, yesterday. I have never actually seen one of the units before, other then traveling down the highway. So my experience level is none. First Travel Trailer, and now the proud owners of a HiLo

We've been looking at campers for a while, and most (99%) of the ones that were pop ups we've looked at were either way to much work to fix up/restore for the price, or way too much money for our humble budget. We wanted something with hard side because my youngest son, and the one that LOVES camping so much, is also a special needs kid, and he and canvas side is a problem waiting to happen.

I bough the unit yesterday, I really wanted to restore it back to factory new (or at least looking that way)...... now I am a bit overwhelmed. I have some mechanical skills, and some common sense, hopefully enough to be able to do this project.

The unit is a '71 so here's a a list of what I see. good and bad.

The Good:
Straight Sheet Metal. No bumps, bends, crinkles, dents or the like.
New Roof 4 years ago, still looks in really good shape.
Frame/structure solid.
All glass intact
All cushions dirty but intact
Appliances worked as of two years ago. (haven't been used since)
Floors all solid
Cabinets/tables all solid
Electric brakes (?)
Some inside lights work

The bad:
Major leak around the shower vent, roof top vent, need inside ceiling replaced.
No running lights
Been store UP for two years outside, and the unit doesn't move into the down position
Battery dead, needs replacing (?)
Tires unknown, but all hold air at the moment
Needs paint

From what I understand the unit was used by the original owners up until four years ago, and kept in excellent working shape. The gentleman I bought it from got the unit to move south for a couple of months, but that trip was canceled. So he used it for storage, in the up position, and decided to sell it this month. When he originally brought it home, it was in the lowered position for travel, when right up (he says), and stayed that way, for two winters.

The unit is built like a tank, and the overall idea is to rebuild this unit. It is prefect for my wife and myself for weekend hops to local camp grounds, and small enough for my wife to feel comfortable towing it with out me on a short trip. (Durango tow vehicle). I pick the unit up Saturday (my first day off).

I hope to post pictures and details of the restore as I go along, for those interested. And I look forward to learning about the HiLo units, and talking to others that own them.

Cheers!
MrCoffee (Chuck)

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Welcome to the forum, there is much information and pictures posted by people who have rebuilt there Hi-Lo.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
sam

Default New HiLo owner

Mr. coffee,welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information and help on this forum. I amalso the parent of a 23yr. old with high functioning Autism and a lot of other diagnosis. Feel free to pm me if I can be of further asistance to you. We took our daughter camping when she was 6 months old. We had a pop up and she pushed out the canvas and I was able to grab her arm while dh ran outside and rescued her,probably was 2 yrs. of age.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Mr. coffee,welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information and help on this forum. I amalso the parent of a 23yr. old with high functioning Autism and a lot of other diagnosis. Feel free to pm me if I can be of further asistance to you. We took our daughter camping when she was 6 months old. We had a pop up and she pushed out the canvas and I was able to grab her arm while dh ran outside and rescued her,probably was 2 yrs. of age.
Hi Sam,

I know exactly what you mean, my son is in the same boat, inquisitive and curious about everything, and no fear of anything. But he loves to go camping, so we are trying to do that and make it as safe for him as possible.

It is reassuring to know that others have faced similar challenges, and overcame them.

Thanks!
MrCoffee
(Chuck)

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote