Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Hi Lo 1703T 2003

We just read that our Duo-Therm series 600 heater doesnt have a thermostat. Disapointed. Why in the world would they not have a thermostat? Can we get one with a thermostat? Anyone know?

Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Luisa, where did you learn this? I can't imagine a heater without a thermostat either.

- Jack

Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Factory RV Surplus carries them for about $45. Part number 3106995.040 for analog. Never worked with them, just googled Duo-Therm series 600 furnace thermostat. Also saw one at wally world for $33.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

Default Duo-Therm heater

Its in the manual for Duo-Therm heater. It says
When desired temperature in RV is reached move selector switch to off or fan position.
Thermastat does not control ON/OFF cycle.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Might be time to upgrade, my friend. Comes with wire diagrams which are also on line. Check them out, see if it fits your needs, then go for it.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 11-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Luisa, where did you learn this? I can't imagine a heater without a thermostat either.

- Jack
Hello Jack, this is Ted answering for my wife Luisa.

She did not realize that the optional heater in the Duo-therm A/C is simply to take the chill off cold mornings and is not intended to provide full heating on cold days, that being the duty of the propane furnace. Also, she could not understand a heater without an associated thermostat - and neither could I until today. The Series 600 A/C manual is quite clear that no thermostat is provided.

Thanks for your time. It's of academic importance right now because the thing has a ground fault- it pops the GFCI after about 40 sec from being energized. Still searching for a replacement as we speak.

best regards,

Ted and Luisa.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks, Luisa - I guess HiLo (or Duo-Therm) got smarter between 2003 and 2007! To be fair, though, I've never found it necessary to run the heater during sleeping hours. And, the control (which is a thermostat in my trailer) is right next to where I usually sit if I'm inside the trailer and awake.

I suspect it would be relatively easy to replace your "On/Off" switch with a thermostat equipped switch. The Duo-Therm thermostat does allow rather large temperature swings however. There are a couple threads in this forum where people have replaced it with a battery powered household thermostat for finer control.

Edit: Ted, you and I were posting at the same time and you've cleared up the confusion. I did not realize she was posting about the heating strip in the A/C. I thought it was the furnace. I'm not even sure my A/C has the heat capability and I've never used it if it does.

I've found the Propane heater takes the chill off very quickly on cold mornings.

- Jack
Old 11-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Factory RV Surplus carries them for about $45. Part number 3106995.040 for analog. Never worked with them, just googled Duo-Therm series 600 furnace thermostat. Also saw one at wally world for $33.
Tree
Thanks for the info, TC. We may be talking at cross-purposes and maybe not. I am talking about the optional heater up inside the roof A/C unit. By "furnace" are you talking about the propane furnace under one of the seats on the starboard side?

best,

Ted and Luisa.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #9

Are you sure you are talking about your heater and not your air conditioner? Duo Therm Series 600 is an A/C model. I don't know of any
Hi-Lo not having a thermostat for the furnace. The A/C unit has a temperature control mounted on it.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Are you sure you are talking about your heater and not your air conditioner?
We are talking specifically about the 600 Series Penguin Roof Top Air Conditioner used with Part Number 3105457 Air Distribution Box Kit which is PRE-WIRED FOR OPTIONAL HEAT PACKAGE. (Transcribed from the front page of the A/C manual).

Section 4 of the operating instructions says:

"Heating Operation (With Optional Heating Kit Installed).

Note: This electrical heater will not replace a furnace for heating your RV in cold weather. The intent is to remove the chill on cool days or mornings.

A. Turn the selector to Opt. Heat.
B. The heater will come on and begin heating.
C. When desired temperature level in RV is reached, move the selector switch to the off position or fan position. (My emph).
Note: [A/C] thermostat does not control heater ON/OFF cycle."

My note: the "cycle" referred to above is the poor occupant manually working the selector switch. This is actually what amazed Luisa and caused her to post here.

Quote:
Duo Therm Series 600 is an A/C model.
We know that.

Quote:
I don't know of any Hi-Lo not having a thermostat for the furnace.
Yes, we do have a thermostat for the propane furnace.

Quote:
The A/C unit has a temperature control mounted on it.
Yes, that is for the A/C, not the optional heater kit.

Hope this clarifies . . .

Ted and Luisa.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

Welcome to becoming a human thermostat.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #12

I have the same Dou-Them in my 05 17Lt and we just knock of some of the morning cool off. We don't always use the propane furnace. It blows out at head high and while the coffee is getting done. Then we turn it off.
2005retired2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Ok, A/C heater! makes sense now. No thermostat. Well, at least I know where to get a replacement thermostat for my furnace.
Our A/C is ducted to the master bedroom and the optional heating coil can't be used when ducted.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 11-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Ok, A/C heater! makes sense now. No thermostat. Well, at least I know where to get a replacement thermostat for my furnace.
Our A/C is ducted to the master bedroom and the optional heating coil can't be used when ducted.
Tree
Do yourself a favor and get a non-programmable digital thermostat. Wallyworld, Home Depot, and Lowes all keep them. There are only two wires to connect.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
sam

Default AC heat strip question

When I read the first post I knew you were talking about the Heat strip in the ceiling air conditioner. We have tried ours and it doesn't throw off enough heat. Usually we are using the oven and or stove burners and get some heat from them. Yes,many times we have used our propane furnice. It was very good.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #16

Agree with jack on furnace working better. I don't have heat strip but I have heard they are not that efficient or effective. When 110 v is available and I don't want to use propane I opt for small electric heater which can be had for 40 to 50 dollars.

Rick
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #17
Site Team

We haven't camped in the "cold" yet, but when working inside in chilly weather, I use a small infrared heater. Infrared heaters heat the objects in a room-not the air, which is quickly cooled. After a very short time, everything is warm and nothing gets hot. I used this method (X2) to heat my workshop when working on instruments. And it does not dry out the air. My 2 cents.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 11-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #18

Default Thanks to All for your help . .

. . now that we know which heater Luisa was talking about . .

. . and thanks for info about the efficacy of the 'heating strip' up there in the roof A/C.

Since we camp mainly at sites with available 120VAC, we've also decided that a small electrical heater is clearly more economic than using up our propane bottled. Like, since the electrical is already paid for in the space rental, it's sorta kinda "free" . .

best regards,

Ted and Luisa.