Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

Smile Hi-Lo Cover

Any recommendations for where I might purchase a good to great cover for our 1994 Classic Hi-Lo. We purchased a cover two years ago from a company who shall remain nameless and it is already worn out.

Thank You in advance !

bryanw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw47 View Post
Any recommendations for where I might purchase a good to great cover for our 1994 Classic Hi-Lo. We purchased a cover two years ago from a company who shall remain nameless and it is already worn out.

Thank You in advance !
Search - hi-lo - Camping World

hi-lo trailer cover | eBay

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Bryan, I doubt your cover's short life is the company's fault. I suspect you can chalk the failure up to the sun.

In my opinion, the only material worth considering for an RV cover is "Sunbrella". It is somewhat more expensive than other brands, such as "Tyvek", but it has a 5 year guarantee. I had one on my trailer and it lasted six years. The seams are failing now and the areas that were most exposed to the sun have degraded fabric.

So, I built a metal "carport" for my trailer, rather than replace the cover. Where I live now, in Pine, it snows regularly in the winter and there are fairly frequent rain storms. The trailer spent the last winter under the new carport, and it's in great shape.

- Jack
Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:

Thank You in advance !
Why nameless? I would like to know so I can avoid throwing away my money. Opinions are always welcome here.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:

Thank You in advance !
You might try Calmark in California. I had one for my Lazy Daze and was happy with it. They are very pricey but you won't find a better quality cover IMO:

Hi Lo Hi-Lo Camper Trailer Covers with Sunbrella Fabric | Calmark Cover Company
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

After dealing with leaky roofs on 2 hi-lo's...I cover mine with the biggest tarp I can buy...tied and weighted down with milk jugs full of water. This has worked very well and didn't cost a fortune. Worked well enough that I was able to start repairs while 'under cover'! The down side, you'll probably only get 2 yrs out of them. But hey, for under $100 I can't complain.
2011 F150 Lariat w/tow package
specter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Tarps are bad news. They trap moisture in. You need something that can breath.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #8

Let's stay on the tarp idea for a post or two. Our neighbor by my shop keeps his trailer beside his building with a large blue tarp over the top. He keeps about ten cheap white PVC pipes laying cross-ways on the roof to keep the blue tarp from actually laying directly on the surface. He told me that the cheap tarp will make about four years and then it is off to Harbor Freight (I think) or maybe Northern Tools. He simply has bungee cords holding it down.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Site Team

Jim, I don't see why the tarp on top of PVC wouldn't work. It allows a layer of air to exist between the tarp and the trailer, which may not circulate particularly well, but I suspect it would be enough to keep mold from forming. And, it keeps direct sun off the trailer too, so you don't have sun damage.

Interesting idea!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Jim, I don't see why the tarp on top of PVC wouldn't work. It allows a layer of air to exist between the tarp and the trailer, which may not circulate particularly well, but I suspect it would be enough to keep mold from forming. And, it keeps direct sun off the trailer too, so you don't have sun damage.

Interesting idea!

- Jack
I agree, as long as condensation is not forming and constantly dripping on the trailer roof, then it would be no different than having a shelter over the trailer.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

So I started doing some research and it seems there is a lot of people out there on the side of not using tarps. Retains moisture and allows mold to develop, as well as edges not properly stowed flapping against the trailor walls may cause some finish scratches. But I agree, if there is a way to keep good air flow and tie down the tarp properly, then why wouldn't it work?

It's kinda like finishing your basement walls. If you frame right up against your exterior wall, your asking for trouble if you have a basement that has moisture issues. Leave an air gap and you'll never have a mold issue.

From my own experience, I can say I never had any mold or moisture issues with a tarp. I did have plenty of problems of wind pulling, tugging, and tearing it though. I wonder if part of the negativity is partially driven by industry that makes covers...?

But all that being said, I spent probably $80 or so on a tarp, another $20 on bungee cords and rope. Add in some more money for PVC and time to properly stow the rv....Now I see AquaShed breathable covers for hi-lo's on fleabay with full tie down straps for less than $200. So for me, I think I'll buy a cover and see how it goes.

2011 F150 Lariat w/tow package
specter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote