Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

Smile HI lo Guide blocks

I bought a 1992 Hi Lo last fall to resurrect it to usable life.. I have replaced ceiling complete and entrance upper sidewall. Have it in pretty usable condition now. New toilet , refrigerator rebuilt , All is in good working condition now except furnace which i haven't gotten to work yet, but really don't need it. But now i find that one of the guide blocks has cracked and allows the top to move slightly to one side. I have new blocks coming but i am wondering if they can be replaced without removing entire top section? If anyone has an answer for that or experience replacing one or more i would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks for your consideration, quikchip or Jack the nailbender.

quikchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

Yes, it can be done. There is a thread here that addresses doing it. You can find it by going to the main page and scrolling down to the lift system category. I will post it here to save you a bit of time. https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22...de-block-4936/

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

getting ready to tackle one, thinking I will use a gear wrench with a replaceable screwdriver bit head. Thinking this will work better than a right angle screwdriver.
midmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion on gear head wrench.. You wouldn't be around Warsaw, Mo. would you ? I had a relative close there that did some R V repair a few years ago.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

We have a bigger camper at Warsaw that we go to and fish. About 1 1/2 hour from their
midmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #6

I used a small gear wrench but found that by grinding the other side off it just barely fit... This is a job that requires patience! (and I just did the two blocks that are by the door!

Good luck!
Gobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #7

i suppose the screws are square head like all the rest? or are they something else?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #8

Ours were square head, I replaced them with stainless torx head screws.
Gobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

Thank you for your reply on screws .. Thats good idea on torx screws. Thanks again
Old 06-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

I replaced the two guide blocks at the door entrance on my 229L and I simply removed a small piece of the inside paneling, cut out a small area of the insulation and drilled 4 small holes in the outside of the camper. Unscrewed blocks, removed from bottom of guide rail and put new blocks on. Put a piece of tape on outside of holes and caulked them from inside. Replace small piece of paneling. Do this with top raised and patched holes never show from outside and this area never gets rained on anyway. About a 30 to 45 minute job.
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:54 PM   #11
Eld

Where did you purchase the guide blocks? I am having a hard time finding them. I need all 4. Thanks in advance!
Eld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:47 AM   #12

That was some time back. Last info I have is HiLo Parts & Service, 16 E. Ogle St. , Bellville, OH 44813. And a phone # I am not sure when I got it.... (419) 886-0008.

You might ask on the HiLo forum for any current info on J & R. Once you get into these campers think you will like them. I just purchased my third 22 footer.
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #13
Eld

That number isn't valid. I keep reading about J&R but I believe they are out of business. I can't reach them and have tried two different numbers posted on this site. Can anyone confirm this or post current contact info?
Old 03-14-2024, 11:15 AM   #14
Site Team

Eld, J&R and Midget Trailers are indeed out of business. So, I don't think the guide blocks are available commercially. But, I've recently posted some 3D printer files that were supplied by one of our other members, RahnA that his Daughter created for these blocks. You can find them in this thread: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22...-new-post.html.

I know you still need access to a 3D printer to use these, but they are becoming very common - especially in schools.

- Jack
Old 03-14-2024, 06:47 PM   #15
Eld

Thank you very much Jack. My son has several 3D printers, I'll request them from for my Mother's Day present. Hopefully you have saved the day!

Eld
Old 03-15-2024, 01:52 PM   #16
sam

Default HiLo parts

My HiLo dealer has a limited amt. of parts. Give Jay Simon a call at 716-625-8877 Only call him if you are going to make a purchase. They will ship any where.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eld View Post
Thank you very much Jack. My son has several 3D printers, I'll request them from for my Mother's Day present. Hopefully you have saved the day!

Eld
Eld - If he can, have him print the blocks using Carbon Fiber filament, which requires steel printing nozzles. It is much more durable than ordinary PLA or similar plastics. I suspect nylon might be good too - but it needs a dehumidifier filament feeder since it tends to absorb water.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:34 PM   #18
Eld

Thank you, I'll try him on Monday.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:52 PM   #19
sam

Default Guide blocks

If you mean you are going to call Jay at Mantelli trailer sales. They are open on Saturday from 9AM to 2PM.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:00 PM   #20
Eld

Thank you very much, in that case I'll call him tomorrow.
Eld