Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Unhappy Hi-Lo Seam Sealing Mess-up

Hello folks

Yes, I messed up; as a newbie to DIY trailer/RV maintenance, I attempted to primitively reseal (no leaks yet) my 2404T with caulking I had picked up from Blue Dog RV Center.

I spent hours scraping and cleaning dirty seams with denatured alcohol and inspecting for gaps in sealant. Then I spent hours going around filing in small pinhole spots on the roof, resealing windows, exterior lights and trailer seams, etc. with the clear calking I had picked up.

Then, and only then, after I finished, I noticed that the Sika tube I was using was 'natural silicon' not the '221' I meant to grab...I did a quick google search...realized what I had done, and had to sit down for a minute.

Now I know (according to the web opinion makers) I have ruined my life, my wife's life, the lives of our small children...and I might as well set the Hi-Lo ablaze and collect the insurance money

BUT should I

a: Remove the silicon now before it hardens and replace with the RIGHT STUFF, or

b: Wait until the silicon fails and then remove and replace

I know it will be a big job, but with three small kids and a 80+ hrs. a week job, and 5 camping trips planed between now and October, time is VERY valuable.

Thanks ahead of time for your options and advise!

DiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #2

I would get it off as soon as possible. Just wait till it cures enough that it's not making a mess and scrape it off.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #3

Default Silicon caulk.

I told DH about your post. He said he would just leave it. When the time comes I have read about a silicon caulk remover. Worse bloopers have been done. One time DH tangled with a big bolder leaving our campsite. It dented the lower storage door. Another time I made him pull up to the bathroom. Circling around to get our campsite he didn't swing wide enough and ripped the side of the trailer. I told him to back up and he kept going and ripping the side of the trailer. He did the damage from a road sign. Must be a macho thing when you don't listen to your wife!! In hind sight I wish I would have just peed my pants!! Hope these real life stories make you feel better. Take your family and go camping!!
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the info folks! I have decided to leave the $%#@ silicon calking on due to there being no active leaks I was trying to repair, and redoing all of it when any part of it fails. One gentlemen sent me a direct message and told me his 30+ years of experience in repairing RVs is that high quality silicon (i.e. not the cheap DAP stuff), when applied properly, can last for years and years on an RV, but when it fails, its a job to get it all off.

Thanks again!

DS
DiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #5

Default Congratulations

It is a very good thing you spent the time applying caulk. Easiest way to prevent leaks. You take care of your RV and it will take care of you!!. Do the rest of your preventive maintenance such as greasing the guide rod and lubricating your cables. You are right about premium caulks. Pay more and it pays off in longevity. We have used Lexel caulk for all our resealing of windows. It is a premium caulk that was purchased at ACE Hardware.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Diver, I think no matter what calk you used, it will prevent leaks, at least for a while. And I suspect it will not be TOO difficult to remove in the future when you decide to re-do it. I used silicone caulk around the front and back end caps of my trailer shortly after we bought it and it's held up fine. Once I tried Lexel, though, I was sold on the way it applied, and then glued everything together.

- Jack
Old 06-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #7

I have found that "OSI Quad Max" from home depot or lowes works great
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #8

To Usagi5678

DH must be a really good sport.....

If my wife posted some of my bloopers I would be fit to be tied!!!!
U4ick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #9

Default I got blessed with a good husband.

DH doesn't read the forum. He has an easy going personality. Been married 39yrs. He is a keeper. Just wanted to show we all our human and make mistakes. My favorite saying is "if it isn't permanent damage i can deal with it".
Old 06-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #10

Roll with it fix it when it leaks
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #11

Default Donated our HiLo 199025ft.

Dh fixed the blooper leaks. We ended up donating the HiLo to our RV mechanic. His son was getting out of the Navy and he lacked a bedroom for him. He had space to park in in his yard. Talked to our mechanic about a year later and he said he didn't have to do anything to the HiLo. DD was opposed to putting it on Craigs list for sale. Should have made her do it anyway. Kinda od panicked as we had just purchased another HiLo and had only enough room to park one. Just had a friend put her HiLo up for sale on Craigs list and it sold in a short amt. of time.

Tags
resealing, sika, silicon