Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #1

Default HiLo 17T Fully Charged at 12.6V, but No Power!

I checked all the fuses, connections, charged the batteries (2 in parallel), still no power. The HiLo is fully functional only on AC or Generator.

Does anyone know what is going on??

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #2

Three way switch in the proper position, bad switch, bad ground. No 12v power anywhere or just the lift?

miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

I assume you checked the voltage at the battery terminals and they got their charge from the converter. Working from the battery, check the circuit breaker on the side of the battery compartment to see if it is okay, either with a volt meter or a test light. If power is getting past the breaker move inside and get to the back of the master switch and see if there is power there. There may be a fuse there that needs checked. Check to see if power is getting through the switch and on to the fuse panel.

My first guess is the breaker next to the battery or bad connections in the battery compartment.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

Thanks RichR and Mini,,,I have power to the Tongue Jack and nothing else. All batteries are charged, 3 way switch is in the correct position (AC will lift the HiLo, therefore the master switch is in working order). Does the Tongue Jack work on a separate circuit? This is driving me nuts!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

The tongue jack comes straight from where the battery and the other wires connect on one terminal of the solenoid on the lift motor and it has an inline fuse, so it is independent from other circuits. The heavy red wire that hooks to one side of one of the circuit breakers is the hot wire to the the fuse panel inside. You need to check to see if it is getting power at the circuit breaker terminal. Also, check to see if there is a reset button on the circuit breaker, most newer models don't have the button, they reset automatically. Do you have any type of tester?
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

Here is a wiring diagram that is readable that may help. It is good for your trailer even though it says 2306. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f51/...ry-wiring-116/

The #10 red wire goes to the master switch and then on to the 12 fuse panel. So if you have power at the battery end next check to see if you have power at the fuse panel end on that wire. If nothing there get into the back side of the master switch to see what is happening with it. There isn't much left to check after those.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

RichR, I am using a voltage meter...my 17T is 2006..
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodair View Post
Thanks RichR and Mini,,,I have power to the Tongue Jack and nothing else. All batteries are charged, 3 way switch is in the correct position (AC will lift the HiLo, therefore the master switch is in working order). Does the Tongue Jack work on a separate circuit? This is driving me nuts!!!
The part I've put in bold face should not happen. If you are lifting the top of the HiLo, the 3-way switch is in the "lockout" position (the only thing inside the trailer that will work on DC is the refrigerator). Flip that switch to the opposite position. This should disable the motor to raise the top. In this position, all DC accessories such as lights should be operational. The AC outlets will also work if you are connected to shore power.

If you still are not getting DC power with the 3-way switch in the correct position, check the circuit breakers behind the panel at the lower right corner of the refrigerator.

As has been posted elsewhere in this forum, AC power WILL NOT raise the top. That motor runs on battery power only.

- Jack
Old 04-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #9

I agree with Rich. It sounds like the breaker near the battery. If it doesn't have a reset button on the breaker to push, try by-passing the breaker with a jumper wire just to test it out. Connect a jumper wire to the terminals on both ends of the breaker. If everythings works, then the breaker is bad. Do not operate the trailer with the jumper wire still attached. This is only to test the breaker.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

On my HiLo there is also a inline fuse behind the master switch panel. Another thing to check.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

After studying the wiring diagram, if you can raise the top, there is power getting to the master switch. The inline fuse that Jim mentioned is between the master switch and the up/down switch, so it is okay. Knowing that, the 12 volt side, the up position on the switch, is connected to the #10 red wire goes directly to the 12 volt fuse panel. Check for power at the switch and at the 12 volt fuse panel. If you aren't getting anything going out of the switch, the switch is bad on one side. The only thing left is the other end of the #10 red wire at the fuse panel.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your input, I fixed it. While changing out the one of the two relays in the battery compartment, I noticed the front relay (tongue relay) attached to the tongue life had a lose bridge wire that was connected to the second relay. I tighten down the lose wire and replaced the relay (just in case). The hilo is in good working order.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

I'm glad you found the problem and got it corrected without having to tear everything apart. It doesn't take much to cause a lot of problems. Not to be a smart a**, but those are 30 amp breakers, not relays. They are to prevent your HiLo from bursting into flames in case of a serious short.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #14

Thanks you helped us to. We were with out lights. Your comment on the 3way switch is what helped. We did not know it was a 3 way switch. Flipped it up and we have lights. Yeah.

Saulpm is offline   Reply With Quote