Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Default HiLo electrical question

2009 HiLo 17T purchased a new battery, when I plug the camper in, it runs the new battery dead. We thought the battery needed to be replaced to stop it from going dead when we have it plugged in
We notice when we bought the camper it was missing the two 30 amp fuses , we replaced them.
Any idea what is going on?

Saulpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Saul, I'm confused. You're saying that plugging the trailer into shore power somehow drains the battery? What two 30 Amp fuses are you talking about? The only ones I can think of offhand are two somewhat hidden ones inside the converter, an inline fuse for the refrigerator, and I think there's an inline fuse on the power line to the tongue hitch.

If plugging the trailer into shore power drains the battery, does it stay charged when not plugged in and all lights and appliances are turned off?

Can you clarify a bit for me? I have essentially the same trailer, so I think I might be able to help you with this.

- Jack

Old 08-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #3

I think we narrowed it down to the convertor needs to be replaced.
What was happening is that the AC is working but when we go DC it runs it dead even when plugged into the wall. Camper is in our garage.
We think it is the convertor. It is a Elixir convertor / cjharger ELX-45. We are looking for the convertor. Having problems finding one. Any idea where to get the convertor.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

As for the two 30 amp fuses the two 30 Amp fuses where f10 and f11 both DC output fuses.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
Site Team

OK Saul - Your converter MAY be different than mine. Here is a link to a thread where I discussed finding and replacing two inline 30 Amp fuses that are sort of hidden inside the converter: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28...g-repair-6454/
Post #1 shows my two fuses and as you can see, they are not numbered. But, if either of them are blown, the battery(s) will not charge using the converter.

Note: I just updated that post to better describe those two fuses and their location.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Site Team

If you need to replace the actual converter, RichR recommends Best Converter. Here's a link to the thread where he tells you about it in Post #3: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28...-towlite-7134/ You want one of the 45 Amp models, which, as you see, are somewhat pricey.

- Jack
Old 08-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
sam

Default Recommend Best Converter out of California.

Have the model # of your old converter when you call. Randy the tech is very knowledgeable and will help you get the right converter. They will also help you with any questions during install.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

Our cousin replaced the converter in his 2409T with the Boondocker converter, the rest of the power center is fine. The only non-standard part of wiring the Towlite converter is the wires from the lift switch that needs to be connected to corresponding terminals on the new converter. NOTE: take a photo of the wiring hookup on the old converter before removing it.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

Jack we thought we had this fix but a new problem. We are plugged in to a 30amp circuit at this park now no A/c and ref will not operate. The lights work as well as the outlets. Any idea where we should start. It is a 17ft towline.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #10

Yeah I fixed it. The electrical hook up in bathroomdisconnected.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Good! I was about to suggest checking that. For your information though, the lights are all DC (battery) powered. They don't depend on the converter. The outlets, however, are AC and the converter passes shore power to them directly.

Have a wonderful stay where you're camping!

- Jack
Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 AM   #12

One way to run the battery down is to have the refrigerator switched to DC if it has that option.

HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertor