Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #1

Default Hilo roof maintenance

Hello ☺️ We are the new proud owners of a 2007 17 ft Hilo. It's in great shape and we have just washed and waxed it. What do you do to protect the top? More car wax or is there something else you use?

We are planning on covering it with a protective cover. Any recommendations?

Thanks ... Maria & Dennis

Miaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Site Team

I suspect you have the same trailer as me. I've never had to do much to protect the top, but my trailer has always been under some kind of cover for most of the time I've had it. (I bought it new in 2007). You could certainly apply wax to the top, or, if mine ever shows signs of degrading, I plan to coat it with two coats of white elastomeric paint.

I DID apply that paint to the upper and side surfaces of the rolled up awning, which is exposed to the sun when the awning is retracted. This protects that area from the sun's UV radiation which will degrade most fabrics.

The fabric cover I have now is from CalMark and is made of Sunbrella. Here's a link to the thread where I show it. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f32/...er-cover-5677/ My old Sunbrella cover, which was warranted for 5 years lasted 10. This one has a 6-year warranty.

I also have it under a "carport" style shelter that I built which gives it additional protection and keeps it cooler in the Arizona sun. The shelter also keeps most of the rain (and snow) off too. (I had a 30"+ snowfall last winter).

The sun, I believe, is your major enemy though. Anything that keeps it off reduces the degradation that opens holes for water entry.

- Jack

Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

Thanks JackandJanet for the reply. Yes your cover looks great! I also have one coming, but not as nice as your one. We lived in the Phoenix area for about 4 years
so totally understand how harsh the sun can be. Now we are in Washington where we have more rain than sun, so maybe we have to think of a carport type structure as well. After I posted my question I saw that there was a thread about roof maintenance and read about the special paint. Thanks again
Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

Default Roof maintenance.

I would recommend that you coat your roof with the appropriate material following the directions on the can. The roof is very expensive to replace. We are on our second HiLo that we have done this too. The roof coating also provides heat reflection and keeps the roof somewhat cooler. Well worth the time and material investment. Kind of like wax on a floor. Easier to clean.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Thank you. Yes, that seems to be the answer alright. We will look into getting some of that special coating.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #6

1509 Hi Lo 1. How should I care for the metal roof ?

2. Is there a specific brand of the white elastomeric paint used on your awning ?
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Richard, I used the Home Depot Henry's brand of elastomeric paint on my awning. The kind I bought has a 7-year warranty. I've used the same stuff on the roofs of homes in Tucson and, on canvas shades. It can be tinted with dye, if desired. Henry's has this with longer warranties if you prefer that.

Another brand I've seen a lot is KoolCoat. There are others too.

I think covering a metal roof while in storage is the best care you can give it. The sun's UV rays are not kind.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote