Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Hole repair

In looking over our new trailer I have noticed that in some places around the windows, someone repairing the wood around the inside of the windows didn't measure the thickness of the walls or the length of the screws they used and the tips of some of the screws are sticking out through the exterior fiberglass. Does anyone have any ideas for fixing these small holes so they blend in with the outside of the trailer? I know someone will have this idea so I'll just beat you to it. Start with shorter screws, right? (Ha-Ha) Now that I've had my funny for the day I would really appreciate any help or ideas y'all can come up with.

Thanks,

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #2

Probably the easiest and longest lasting would be to start with shorter screws then carefully remove the broken pieces of fiberglass panel so that you can get a smooth flush surface, fill the holes with that highly recommended on the forum caulk the name of which eludes me at this time. Ah! It came to me Lexal (sp?). Push the caulk into the hole with a tooth pick or match stick so that the caulk has more to hold onto.

miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
sam

Default fiberglass repair

Lexel caulk can be purchased at ACE hardwear or on the internet.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #4

I would not use lexel to fill the screw holes if you want a smooth blended finish. Lexel is still flexable after it cures, cannot be sanded. I would use a body filler or go to a marine supply and get a filler for fiberglass boats like Marine-Tex. These fillers cure very hard and can be sanded smooth. Then get a small touch-up can of Gel-coat that matches the finish on the HiLo. You might try J&R to see if they have a Gel-Coat that matches the HiLo finish or get it at a marine supply that will be close.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #5

Talking

Can you get to the back side of the holes fairly easy? I'd put a layer of fiberglass on the back side to give the Marine-Tex something to stick to. BTW, I've patched dings on the bottom of my drift boat and that stuff is amazing! My concern would be it falling out because of road vibration. Maybe I'm just over thinking?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

So are the holes very small like the size of a BB or less? If so I would still recommend lexel. Its the least invasive repair and perfect for very small holes.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #7

Default Filling holes with Lexel

Use a mixture of soap and mineral spirits on your finger and you can smooth the Lexel so cannot tell a hole was filled. Then touch up with paint if needed. Skyking

JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote