Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

Smile How cold outside temp b4 you can't sleep in Hilo?

I might have to use my camper in NC to stay by my daughter while she recouperates from blood clots in lungs. I have been here for two weeks and it might wind up being close to 4 weeks but I have to get home and winterized the camper. Problem I might have to come back and her house is "small" and I share a bedroom with my granddaughter who is 7. I thought of bringing my Hilo down and maybe sleeping in it and using my propane tanks or an electric heater. Plus it would give me a quiet place to recharge. Anyone know the answer. Thanks. Janice

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

We have spent many nights in the low thirties. We have used a small cube electric heater with great results. Setting on top of the stove is a safe spot for it. If you fear the outside temperature briefly dipping below the freezing mark open the lower cupboard doors to allow the warmed air to keep the water pipes warm. The only exposed pipe is the freshwater tank drain. I assume you will probably not use your water or bathroom since you will be next to your daughter's house.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Team

And, we've used the propane heater quite successfully on cold nights and mornings camping. It doesn't seem to use much propane, but, the fan (blower) DOES pull some electric power, so it would be good if you could plug your shore power plug into an electrical outlet. If you don't have one, you'll need a 30-15A converter plug or cord, assuming you connect to AC power at her house.

- Jack
Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
sam

Default How cold can you camp?

We recently did a camp out in Oct. where the night time temps were in the 20s. We were very comfortable plugged into 30 electric. Our furnice kept the 25ft. HiLo very comfortable at 70degrees. You could always use flannel sheets/comforter. How about a good low temp rated sleeping bag. Maybe an electric blanket. We used bean filled "snakes" to help with any air leaks at the door. I use a carpet runner and lots of throw rugs to keep the floor warmer.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

I agree with everything said above. I also think that one good quality electric heater will probably do all you need. And remember this: Electric blankets are your friends. Low cost and very cheap to operate. And our thoughts are with your daughter, by the way. Keep us posted.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

We boondocked are few weeks back with overnight lows in the mid 20s. I set the thermostat at 60 and the heater ran 15 min on and only 5 mins off all night. The next night was a bit warmer at low 30's and I set the thermostat at 50 and it only came on once an hour for 10 minutes. Used a warm blanket the 2nd night but slept better that night. We planned on 3 nights and I had no way to recharge the battery so I was worried about that constant fan running the first night. We ended up staying only those 2 nights and the battery never went below 12 volts, plenty of propane still in the bottle.
We have a 2004 20 foot Tow Lite that has no insulation in the walls.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

came back to NJ last night. my daughter has a long recovery ahead of her and we still are waiting for results of tests we sill don't know where the blood clots came from I am going back in about 3 weeks unless she needs me sooner and have to decide if I am taking my HiLo. thanks for all the information, at lest I know I can take her and sleep in it and house my dogs. I will keep you all updated and God bless all of you for your help.

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote