Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #21
Site Team

What a clever app! I'll have to look for it.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #22

Ok- got that except the drive on part. So you level the trailer by driving up on the leveling blocks. How do you chock the tires if they wre on something.

TMWillis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWillis13 View Post
Ok- got that except the drive on part. So you level the trailer by driving up on the leveling blocks. How do you chock the tires if they wre on something.
That CAN be tricky! If you have a tandem axle trailer, they make expanding things that go between the wheels that will lock them in place. If you have that kind of trailer, invest in a pair. And, here's a link to a DIY version: Custom Made RV Wheel Chocks for Tandem Wheels The commercial ones operate in a similar fashion, and I think they're easier to use. They show a set of ones made of metal just below the DIY ones.

If you have a single axle trailer like mine, it's a bit more complicated. The leveling blocks I use also have a "wedge" shaped chock that fits into them. Since I've NEVER camped in a space that is perfectly level, the trailer would always want to move forward or backwards. I just put that wedge on the side of the blocks the trailer would move to. This is a link to the one I bought: Lock-N-Stop Chock - Prime Engineered Plastics Corp RKCW819008 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

Then, I attached a plate of aluminum to another wedge so that when I pull the wheel against it, the tire is standing on the plate. So, it can't push the chock away. I use this on the side where the wheel is on the ground.

Finally, I attached a "topper" that has a round indentation on one of my leveling blocks. It goes under the tongue jack. The indentation just fits the round foot of the jack, and keeps the tongue end from moving, forward/back or, side to side.

I'll try to take a picture of the last two things and post them tomorrow.

- Jack
Old 05-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #24
Site Team

Can't find the app, what's it called? I'd like to try it.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #25

my iphone comes with a level built in. that said- I still prefer the longer carpenters level I carry just because it spans a greater distance and it is awfully easy to use.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #26
Site Team

Default Pictures of my Chocking Devices

OK, I took some pictures this morning. The thing I called a "topper" is actually a "Tongue Chock" and you can see it here: Tongue Chock - Prime Engineered Plastics Corp RKCW819006 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World I bought it at Camping World. There are other styles available online, but I like this one.

As I think you can see, I bolted it onto one of the leveling blocks so that I can adjust its height to suit. The leveling blocks fit together like Leggos, and they don't slip apart.

The aluminum plate I bolted onto a wheel chock just helps it stay against the wheel once I pull the trailer wheel onto it. It's the one I use on the ground.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tongue and Wheel Chock - Top.jpg (381.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Tongue and Wheel Chock - BOttom.jpg (436.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #27

Jfb, It was my understanding that those four jacks under the camper are not for leveling. Just for stabilizing any movement when you are walking around in the camper. You could do some damage by not using leveling blocks.
Camping Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #28

Jack next time you set up with the blocks and the dhocks will you shoot me a pic of the setup? Thanks TW
TMWillis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Jack next time you set up with the blocks and the dhocks will you shoot me a pic of the setup? Thanks TW
Oh, too bad! I just came back from a camping trip where I used both wheel chocks and some leveling blocks on one side as well as the tongue chock. If I'd known, I'd have taken pictures for you then.

I doubt I'll be doing any more camping till August, when we do a week at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon again.

At home, I have concrete chocks at the end of a slight incline to the rear. So, I don't use wheel chocks at all here and the tongue jack sits on a cinder block.

But, I see I haven't posted a picture of the chock that fits into the leveling blocks. I'll try to get a picture of that to you soon.

- Jack
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmike88 View Post
I find most phone apps useless but i find myself using this one alot. the toolbox app for android phones. it has a nice level feature that I just set on the floor. no more carrying a 2' level. I'm sure they have something similar for iphone. just noticed it has a decibel meter also for those that run a generator.
I've had a level app on my Android phone and it wasn't very accurate when compared to my bubble level.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #31

Smile

Just downloaded the Tool Box App. The level works great. Thank you for pointing out the App.
city Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
This is probably way late and a dollar short, but we just returned from another glorious stay at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and here's pictures of all the chocks in use.

The first picture shows the curbside wheel using the chock that has the aluminum plate attached (which is under the wheel). The parking area tilts slightly toward the front of the trailer, so I don't need chocks in back of the wheels.

The second shows the streetside wheel which had to be lifted with three leveling blocks to level the trailer. The chock here is attached to the leveling blocks (kind of a Leggo fastening system) and it cannot "fall off" the leveling blocks. I simply built this up and then pulled the trailer up on to it.

The third shows the Tongue Chock in use. It's also anchored to a leveling block that can be stacked on others to minimize the needed extension of the tongue jack.

With both wheels chocked and the tongue chocked, the trailer is very secure, even on a badly out of level campsite.

I HAVE had the tongue jack slip off a rock in the past, when I used it to help level the trailer front to back. Happily, there was no damage and we were not in the trailer at the time (I was uncoupling the trailer from the truck). Had my foot been under the jack when it came down, I would have lost a foot). Be VERY CAREFUL when using anything but a Tongue Chock under the jack! (Unless the jack is on the ground.)

Note: On a perfectly level campsite, I DO have two more chocks I could apply so that each wheel would be chocked fore and aft, but I really think the Tongue Chock would take care of any possible movement.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0731.jpg (261.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0732.jpg (211.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0733.jpg (230.1 KB, 4 views)