Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Default Humbly seeking advice for 91 restomod? Is that "a thing"

Hello everyone!
Ive joined a few boards for research over the years, but have almost never posted a thing. Checking out the threads here it looks like a very patient and helpful community and I usually need lots of help and patience.
But enough about me, about my hi-lo:
I traded for this craigslist gem and dont know a thing about it, or campers or much really (just ask my wife) and armed just with spare time and a shoestring budget- I aim to figure out how best to make use of what i hope to be a diamond in the rough.
The prior owner/occupant claimed its a "1991 33' RT model, everything works, partially gutted-due to cramped floor plan".
I couldnt find this easily with google as i can most times these days, and led me here.
Once i figure out how to add pictures it will save me lots of time correcting siri for my posts. :-).
Long story short: $1800 obo became $200 and a car i was about to call the scrap guy to get outta my yard.
I have just started cleaning it but im going the try to document the whole project well and see if anything useful shakes out at the end.
Id like ideas and tidbits of wisdom like:
How to raise and lower it, accurately identify its type and moniker so i can search for info more effectively, how to test and basic functionality of the main systems. Just the lil things 😣
Thanks in advance for putting up with me, i hope.
Mike in Florence, Or

Absinthe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello, Mike - welcome to our band of "Happy Campers"!

If you have a 33' model, it is just about the biggest one HiLo ever made. To learn about its features, including how to raise and lower it, go through these videos: Start with video #1 and just proceed through at your own pace.

HiLos did not change a great deal through the years, so I believe you'll find the topics in these videos will apply to your trailer (almost verbatim).

You will definitely need a Weight Distributing Hitch and I'd get one with sway control too. To pull it, you should probably have a 3/4 ton truck (mostly due to the weight the hitch puts on the tow vehicle's suspension).

Trailer tires are normally unsafe long before their tread wears out, so don't let the tread be your guide. I believe the standard advice is not to use the tires longer than 5 years. The heat generated by flexing breaks down their inner structure, which can lead to a blowout - something you never want on a trip.

There are some owner's manuals in the library on this forum, and you can probably find one that is close to the one for your model. And, you can find manuals for the appliances in the trailer here too: Reference Library - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum

You'll have more questions, so just ask when you do.

- Jack

Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

Thank you very much!
Absinthe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

The partially gutted part can be a good thing depending on what has been taken out. It gives you lots of options as far as how you want to put things back and what you want to put back in. Just remember to keep your weight in mind as you put stuff in it as that length of trailer is going to be heavy already. HiLos tend to be heavier than normal trailers of the same length. Some pictures and your ideas on what you plan on installing will help us help you design lightweight options for what you want to install. It's a lot of work restoring one but it's nice because you end up with what you really want as opposed to buying one the way they sell them and being stuck with things you may not like.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
The partially gutted part can be a good thing depending on what has been taken out. It gives you lots of options as far as how you want to put things back and what you want to put back in. Just remember to keep your weight in mind as you put stuff in it as that length of trailer is going to be heavy already. HiLos tend to be heavier than normal trailers of the same length. Some pictures and your ideas on what you plan on installing will help us help you design lightweight options for what you want to install. It's a lot of work restoring one but it's nice because you end up with what you really want as opposed to buying one the way they sell them and being stuck with things you may not like.
Welcome to the forum, Absinthe76! That's a beautiful part of the country you live in.

As Misfit said, be careful to not overload it. You wouldn't want to end up like this:
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, restoration