Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Talking I Won

Just won the bid on a hi-lo from Ebay. My TV doesn't have electric brakes or the required 7 prong hook-up for the lights. Where is the simplest and on a budget to get this done please? I have to travel from Indiana to Jersey to pick it up and should get these done fairly quickly and don't want to wait on someone to order parts to get it done. Also if you could take a look a the auction and tell me I did ok or did I just bite off a whole lot of trouble. Thanks. I just joined yesterday and already an owner. Yipee

Hi Lo Travel Trailer Towable Compact Sleeps 6 No Reserve | eBay

phoneguy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

Looks like you bought it dirt cheap. Even if it takes a couple thousand to get it in shape, which it may not, you will still be in for a reasonable amount of money.

allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

I'd be concerned about the tires. The fact that two on one side are cracking, tells me they're old. They might last for the trip back home, but make sure you inflate them to the max and I would not drive over 60 mph (55 might be better).

And, if you are somewhat handy, you could install a 7-pin plug and the needed wiring on your tow vehicle yourself. If not, take it to an RV place. They can do it.

You'll need a good brake controller - you can get them online or at Camping World. I recommend the Prodigy P3. It's easy to install if your tow vehicle is wired for it. The RV place can probably advise you on this.

Does your tow vehicle have a hitch receptacle? It will need one of the proper rating.

Finally, you'll need a Weight Distributing Hitch. The seller may be including one with the trailer.

As you can see, there are a few startup costs with a trailer. Fortunately, they're mostly one-time expenses.

- Jack
Old 05-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

Default Purchase

I think you got a good deal. Similar in price to what I paid for our 1993 that we bought about 7 months ago. I bet with new tires and a deep scrub this baby will be ready for some serious camping in the very near future. Congratulations on your new purchase. Your in for a lot of fun and making memories.
byrdmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
sam

Default HiLo won the auction.

I defeniately would take it to a near by tire store and put on all new tires. It will cost you way too much money if you have a blow out. The $ damage will cost you way more than a set of tires. Make sure your HiLo brakes are good as well as the bearings. Ask the seller if it includes a WDH. If not then you could look for a used one. Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Let us know how the voyage home goes. We will advise you on preventive maintenance. Looks like a nice unit. A set of extended tow mirrors wouldn't be a bad idea. Others have given you good advice. This unit seems like it has had little use. What is your tow vehicle?
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy1212 View Post
Just won the bid on a hi-lo from Ebay. My TV doesn't have electric brakes or the required 7 prong hook-up for the lights. Where is the simplest and on a budget to get this done please? I have to travel from Indiana to Jersey to pick it up and should get these done fairly quickly and don't want to wait on someone to order parts to get it done. Also if you could take a look a the auction and tell me I did ok or did I just bite off a whole lot of trouble. Thanks. I just joined yesterday and already an owner. Yipee

Hi Lo Travel Trailer Towable Compact Sleeps 6 No Reserve | eBay
Congrats! Sounds like you got a real good deal.

1994 Hi Lo Price, 1994 Hi Lo Values & 1994 Hi Lo Specs | NADAguides

Just don't take their advice on the power washing. Not good for trailers.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #7

Southwest Wheel Company - Thirteen Inch Five Lug Wheel & Tire

Give U-Haul a try. Not a fan but I worked at a moving center in the mid 70's and we did this cheap.

IF you take a chance of driving on the old tires. give this place a try. (Link on top)
I got 5 wheels and tires for less than my local discount tire store...half the price.

Oh. Great deal. WOW
Rick
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #8

First off, let me tell you that you DID get a good deal on this rig. On that note we all agree. In order to stay within a reasonable budget we still need to know what you would use to tow this beast. (TV) If you have for example a late model Ford F-150 you might find that is not imperative that you use a WDH. Better, yes, but not required. First and foremost is your electrical wiring. Your seven pin plug and brake controller have to be installed to tow this trailer. Most trailer repair shops will be glad to do this. I would put the condition of the tires second. An average set of tires for your rig will probably run about $500.00 or so. Even at this point, throw in a low-cost WDH and you are still under a thousand dollars.....how can it get any better?
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
First off, let me tell you that you DID get a good deal on this rig. On that note we all agree. In order to stay within a reasonable budget we still need to know what you would use to tow this beast. (TV) If you have for example a late model Ford F-150 you might find that is not imperative that you use a WDH. Better, yes, but not required. First and foremost is your electrical wiring. Your seven pin plug and brake controller have to be installed to tow this trailer. Most trailer repair shops will be glad to do this. I would put the condition of the tires second. An average set of tires for your rig will probably run about $500.00 or so. Even at this point, throw in a low-cost WDH and you are still under a thousand dollars.....how can it get any better?

Thanks Jim, I went today and have an appointment on Wednesday to get the electric brake and proper 7 prong connector for about $150. I probably could have done it myself but I have a bad habit of Jerry rigging things and don't trust me. I'll wait and see how she tows before I get a WDH. Tandem and 15" tires less wind drag may not need one. It is a 12 hour each way drive so should get plenty of the quirks of the towing should be. The only thing that concerns me now is where am I going to store the everyday stuff in this thing. Because of the swing down bunk, I loose a lot of overhead storage. I could take out one of the dinette couches and put in normal kitchen base cabinets. We'll see. I want to be able to boondock for a couple weeks at a time. So I have lots of work to do on it. May not get out there till the fall, but I will in time. Thanks everyone for your help.
phoneguy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Default new Hi-Lo

You may be able to go to a former Hi-Lo dealer and still get new old stock cabinets to replace the swing down bunk. When we bought our 1'st Hi-Lo in 01 our dealer said "we change these out all the time and have anything in stock that you would want". If you want over head cabinets, phone calls cost almost nothing.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
sam

Default I won

Sounds like a good plan to have an RV dealer do some of the work. This way you will have some kind of a warranty. The folks on this forum are very good with $. Just ask for the parts you need and someone will tell you a reasonable good source. Perhaps you can find a salvage HiLo to take cupboards from. I would be concerned with the weight of household kitchen cupboards. If you don't want the overhead bunk you could remove/store or sell it. They are in very high demand. The bunk could also be left in place and used for lighter storage. I would actually pack things in before you decide you need more storage. Seems like we are all excited for your fix it adventure. Keep us posted. No matter what is wrong with your HiLo it is all fixable.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #12

Evaluate your tow vehicle. Can you use it for on road storage? Does it do a good job towing? What requirements must it meet for non towing applications? A pickup with a cover can hold far more stuff than you will ever need.
motobuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy1212 View Post
Thanks Jim, I went today and have an appointment on Wednesday to get the electric brake and proper 7 prong connector for about $150. I probably could have done it myself but I have a bad habit of Jerry rigging things and don't trust me. I'll wait and see how she tows before I get a WDH. Tandem and 15" tires less wind drag may not need one. It is a 12 hour each way drive so should get plenty of the quirks of the towing should be. The only thing that concerns me now is where am I going to store the everyday stuff in this thing. Because of the swing down bunk, I loose a lot of overhead storage. I could take out one of the dinette couches and put in normal kitchen base cabinets. We'll see. I want to be able to boondock for a couple weeks at a time. So I have lots of work to do on it. May not get out there till the fall, but I will in time. Thanks everyone for your help.
Seems like a good deal - I got my 95 21' Towlite for $4000 in 2007. I have towed it with a Dodge Dakota without a WDH until this year.
I am a retired former Bell system Phoneguy - is that what your name implies as well as DA?
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

i purchased 4 rim and tire combos at walmart for 89 ea.

Freybergers is offline   Reply With Quote