Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #1

Default If you have Amazon Prime check this out!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

black Friday deal don't miss it I ordered mine this morning
I also ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Team

That's a great price, Gary! Let us know how you like the way it works. I'm totally sold on the TPMS I bought for my truck and trailer.

And yes, if you but something like this, you MUST get the metal valve stems! The standard rubber ones will allow the sensor/transmitters to bang against the wheel during use and that will cause them to fail due to internal stresses.

- Jack

Old 12-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #3

In reading the reviews and questions on the valve stem website, a question was asked if these were compatible with TPMS and the Mfr replied that they were NOT compatible with TPMS.....
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Interesting point, Brian. I checked, and yes, you are reading the vendor's reply correctly. However, I don't see why they would not work with TPMS sensors, can you? Some reviewers stated they bought them to use with the sensors and I didn't notice anyone having problems.

I wonder if the incompatibility issue is related to the fact that the stems are "chromed" brass and the threads of some sensors are brass, meaning that there are dissimilar metals in contact with each other which could lead to galvanic corrosion?

The way I use these TPMS sensors is to apply them ONLY when I am on a camping trip, so the contact between the sensors and the valves is usually limited to about two weeks. This brief contact would not cause much in the way of corrosion. I remove the sensors when the trailer is stored and remove the batteries from those sensors. I see no reason to monitor the pressures and temperatures when the trailer is stored.

Edit: I just reviewed the Amazon listing and I see the valves are not able to be used with wheels that have the INTERNAL TPMS sensors installed. That makes sense, because, I think those sensors have their own valves. as part of the assembly. I don't think the incompatibility applies to external TPMS sensors.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

Gary,
Have you tried this TPMS unit yet? It appears to me like this is an upgrade for a car or truck that does not have TPMS where the monitor/receiver sitting on the dash would be close to the center of the four tire sensors/transmitters. I have a 27T, would the monitor pick up the signals coming from the trailer tires?
I don't see where it has an input for an auxiliary antennae/booster?
U4ick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

U4ick, I have somewhat the same concern, which is why I asked Gary to let us know how his TPMS worked out. The first system I bought, back when my 2007 trailer was fairly new did NOT have a signal booster and it continuously lost the signals from the trailer. What was even more problematic, was that a lost signal gave the same alarm as a low pressure condition.

The Tire Minder system I use now DOES have a signal booster and it DOES present a different alarm when the signal is lost, compared to the alarm it generates for loss of pressure. Once in a while, I DO lose the signal from one of my tires (usually the right rear truck tire actually) but I've learned to live with it. The truck has an OEM TPMS too, that works on an indirect wheel rotation speed sensor to warn of low pressure, so I have a redundant warning system. I think I just need to relocate the signal booster and I will do that next spring.

- Jack
Old 12-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

I haven't tried it because my camper is put away till spring. I bought it after reading ALL the reviews on Amazon and also the $30.00 price. Price is now back up to $60.00 I'll take the chance for that price.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Team

I agree with you Gary - I would have taken the chance too, at that price if I didn't already have a TPMS.

- Jack