Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Default Inspection Sticker

This question is for you other Texas Hi-Lo'ers. Do you have to get your trailer inspected every year? I'm in the process of becoming a Hi-Lo owner and I like to get all my ducks in a row so I don't have to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, or some other place.

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearshrum View Post
This question is for you other Texas Hi-Lo'ers. Do you have to get your trailer inspected every year? I'm in the process of becoming a Hi-Lo owner and I like to get all my ducks in a row so I don't have to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, or some other place.

Bear
Bear,

We have a 2406 T that is 25 pounds [dry weight] over the 4000 pound limit [that does not require annual inspections]. So, that slight weight over the minimum requires an annual inspection. If your title indicates the weight is over 4,000 pounds, Texas requires an annual safety check. It amounts to nothing more than extra tax on RV'ers. Two years ago I pulled up for an inspection and the fellow did nothing but look at it, check my insurance, and fill out the sticker. He didn't even check the brake lights, running lights, tires, brakes, or break-a-way switch. Last year another inspector checked all of these.

Jerry Curtis
2406T
Fredericksburg, TX

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

I consider annual inspections as good and cheap insurance. Our HiLo inspection is due in April, so we get everything checked and maintenance pulled in one trip before we venture out for the camping season.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearshrum View Post

Bear
I bought my trailer from a guy in New Mexico. Since I was transfering it to Texas, I had to get an inspection, which boiled down to verifing the VIN with the title. Like Jerry said, over 4500# (or exceeds 8" in width) it is required. They require a VTR-141 form. Check it out. I believe it may have all of the information you need. My title listed my 2404T at 4000# and right at 96" in width. So, all I was required to do was pay to verifiy the VIN with the title.

Vehicle Titles and Registration Forms
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
I bought my trailer from a guy in New Mexico. Since I was transfering it to Texas, I had to get an inspection, which boiled down to verifing the VIN with the title. Like Jerry said, over 4500# (or exceeds 8" in width) it is required. They require a VTR-141 form. Check it out. I believe it may have all of the information you need. My title listed my 2404T at 4000# and right at 96" in width. So, all I was required to do was pay to verifiy the VIN with the title.

Vehicle Titles and Registration Forms
RC,

Thanks for correcting my error, of course in Texas it is every RV over 4500 pounds and our HiLo exceeds it by 25 pounds or so. [Dementia is setting in]

Jerry Curtis
2406T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
sam

Default Getting an RV inspection

I would get an inspection every year by some one that will actually check the brakes,bearings ect. Especially if you buy a used unit. Pay now or pay and maybe get ripped of by a mechanic you don't know. Not fun to breakdown on the side of the road.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Default Getting ripped off

I,m not worried about getting ripped off on doing mechanical things, it's the things I don't have experience with like A/C and Electrical that worry me. I was a Ford tech for 26 years and the mechanical part doesn't scare me although my wife seems to think I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be crawling around under old cars and trailers, but hell you gotta have fun doing something.

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote