Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Team

Question Just asking....

I'd just like to ask those who've done it, what was the materials cost and a realistic number of hours for;
1, Complete bulb seal replacement with attaching parts (aluminum strip, removing/replacing rotted wood, fasteners, etc)
2, Complete cable replacement with associated work involved.
Here in south west Fla., we are entering the rainy season, this is usually accompanied by very gusty winds. With no suitable inside space, I need to schedule my timing.
If anyone would contribute this info, it will really help.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
sam

Default Replacing bulb seal

According to the printed instructions on a post in this forum it should take you about eight hours. It may take you a little longer. I found it helpful to hold the bulb seal as DH was installing. The best Alum to use is the kind for wrapping windows as it is heavy enough and coated white on one side. A roll can be purchased at HD. Could you put some kind of easy up shelter over your HiLo. How about a portable garage with a metal frame inside and staked down. We haven't had to do cable replacement. A member of our HiLo club did his cables and if memory serves me correctly it took him all day. Check out this post 3-3-2010Cable replacement in my 1998 HiLo 24TD. Best of luck with your repairs.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Default Sam

Reason I'm asking is there is a 2000 24TD at a very small office trailer sales place. It was traded in and the owner wants $5000. He admitted he knows little about Hi Los. It's raised now, and not plugged in so battery is dead. Inside is flawless for it's age, exterior appears to have had little maintenance. Could not see the roof, but the ceiling showed no signs of leakage. Bulb seal kaput and the cables are dug deep into the wood thru the metal. windows really need sealing. I just want to show the gent the amount of repair time/work involved. Needs 5 tires, a set of bearings for sure and now a new battery. Thanks for the input, I think if it sits too long in our rainy season....well?
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

you might want to email jerrys camping in Madison wi and ask them an estimate for doing the work. They were a local hi lo dealer and still do service.----or call the guys in Ohio and ask them. If you want to show somebody an estimate of work needed on something i'd start with what a professional shop would charge.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
sam

Default possible HiLo purchase

His price is way to high. Bring a battery and lower the unit to see the roof and make sure it has no pin holes.,A new roof is big $.. Keep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Site Team

Unhappy Too bad

Appreciate all the input, I too am sure the price is too high. I hate to see any Hi Lo left to waste. I guess I'd like to save them all. I have a 2000 240U in great shape and was looking to save and sell this Tow Lite and also an '88 24footer. I'll have to pass on both. The '88 is surely worth saving as the damage has been repaired. Just needs to be put back together. $1000 in Clearwater, Fl. We'll spend the season camping and when the time is right, I'll rejuvenate another.
Thanks all,
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC