Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Just curious....

Is there anyone here that previously owned a.....how do I put this.....standard hard wall travel trailer, and converted to a HiLo? I ask as a new trailer owner and have never towed a full size travel trailer. I love the 2693rd and have no buyers remorse, and actually I have no wish to ever have another trailer, I'm just curious if anyone found out how much easier HiLo's tow and made the switch.

vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

Wow...no converts?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

Smile no hard shell camper

my wife and I started out with a 1975 (8 ft pop up camper) to a tent to a 1966 (12 ft hi-lo which i still use and now onto a 1996 hi-lo 21 FT so no .
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #4

Ive been tent camping for 25 years and finally into a trailer, this is my first and I don't understand why anyone would want anything else....it tows great.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

We started out tent camping in 1980, moved up to a pop-up in 1989 and then to the Hi-Lo in 2007. It is surprising that Hi-Lo's are not more popular, but we really enjoy ours and think it is the ultimate camper.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #6

Back in the 1960's we transitioned from tent camping, to tent trailers, to hard-sided trailers before discovering and converting to a Hi-Lo in 1967. We tried probably 6 or 8 tent trailers and 4 or 5 of the more popular hard-sided jobs (Phoenix, Shasta, etc.)... and yes, in those days Hi-Lo construction and workmanship quality was very evident in comparison. Back then it was easy to rent a trailer and try it out.

Since then I've always had a Hi-Lo, so I'm honestly not sure how they match up, today, with other brands. My reasons for staying with Hi-Lo boil down to ease of towing... and I'm kind of a gadget guy, and like the innovation of the raising roof section... and frankly, our 1969 Bon Voyage just never wore out!

I've recently passed that same 1969 Hi-Lo to my son so he can use it to camp with his young family, a testimony of Hi-Lo reliability (at least of older models).
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Back in the 1960's we transitioned from tent camping, to tent trailers, to hard-sided trailers before discovering and converting to a Hi-Lo in 1967. We tried probably 6 or 8 tent trailers and 4 or 5 of the more popular hard-sided jobs (Phoenix, Shasta, etc.)... and yes, in those days Hi-Lo construction and workmanship quality was very evident in comparison. Back then it was easy to rent a trailer and try it out.

Since then I've always had a Hi-Lo, so I'm honestly not sure how they match up, today, with other brands. My reasons for staying with Hi-Lo boil down to ease of towing... and I'm kind of a gadget guy, and like the innovation of the raising roof section... and frankly, our 1969 Bon Voyage just never wore out!

I've recently passed that same 1969 Hi-Lo to my son so he can use it to camp with his young family, a testimony of Hi-Lo reliability (at least of older models).
I'm a gadget guy myself and that's one of my reasons, well the two opposing couches turning into a residential size queen was a plus too. But Hey that's a transformer itself. Love that stuff!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #8

Default replacing the cables

can someone please help me, my dad has a 1975 hi-lo and the cables for raising up need to be replaced they are fraying, does anyone know where i can get a diagram, so i can replace them ty
joyce
joyceshawwyattg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #9

Joyce, I'm betting you have good answers before the end of the week-end. Also keep in mind that there are pulleys involved, and maybe a couple of other small items, that should also be replaced.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #10

I moved from a popup to a HiLO late last year.. Just the ease of set up makes me not wish to move to any other trailer
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #11

Our transition:

Late 70s: Open air camping (Laying out a tarp and putting our sleeping bags on top, no tent)
Early 80s: Tent
Mid 80s: Very old, 18' mini motorhome
Late 80s: Old 18' conventional travel trailer
2012: Hi-Lo

After having a MH for a few years we got tired of taking our house with us whenever we wanted to explore areas surrounding a campground. We did not want to tow a car, so we bought a standard TT (late 70s Jayco). This served us well for many years.

We sold the Jayco because we had too many other interests. Two years ago we decided to get back into camping and bought the Hi-Lo. We did not want to pay RV storage fees, so we wanted to keep the trailer in our back yard. Our neighborhood has CC&Rs that prohibit over-height vehicles stored in a back yard. This limited our trailer choices to tent trailers, Trail Manors, and Hi-Los. My wife did not want a tent trailer; neither one of us like the design of the Trail Manors. So, we ended up with a Hi-Lo and are very happy with it.

I like the way the Hi-Lo tows and also like the fuel mileage. But, I would not be against having a conventional TT if we did not have a stored height restriction.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

Started out tent camping like most folks.

Bought an older 22' class C motorhome next which I sold about 10 years ago.

After sleeping in and having the conveniences of an RV, there was no going back to a tent so just bought a Hi-Lo. Decided to convert to a trailer due to costs of buying, registering, insuring and maintaining a motorhome, and plus we already had a tow vehicle. After observing several conventional trailers swerving down the highway I learned about the Hi-Lo. Now I'm getting it ready and looking forward to our first real campout in it!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #13

I purchased a 22 foot HiLo (3300lbs empty) this spring as a companion vehicle to my 32 foot toy hauler (7200lbs empty). Toyhauler is for motorcycles and lengthy stays at few(er) and closer locations. HiLo is for longer distances with more frequent stops. Comparison is an apple/orange situation for use, but I'll be glad to compare the two while on the road. Tow vehicle is a Dodge 3/4 ton with diesel power. Fuel mileage is 11 to 11.5 (toyhauler) at interstate speeds vs 17 to 17.5 (HiLo). Wife is happy to give me a break with the HiLo. Not so with the toyhauler. I have been pulling trailers for 45 years and the HiLo causes little stress over single vehicle driving. Toyhauler is much more stressful. Did a 915 mile day and a 1025 mile day on a recent trip to and from Austin, Tx with the HiLo last month. No way I would try that with the toyhauler. Much easier to see around the shorter, 96 inch wide HiLo, than the longer, 102 inch wide toyhauler. Much less effect from crosswinds and aero push from tractor trailers with the HiLo. Hope this info is what you are looking for.
motobuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
I purchased a 22 foot HiLo (3300lbs empty) this spring as a companion vehicle to my 32 foot toy hauler (7200lbs empty). Toyhauler is for motorcycles and lengthy stays at few(er) and closer locations. HiLo is for longer distances with more frequent stops. Comparison is an apple/orange situation for use, but I'll be glad to compare the two while on the road. Tow vehicle is a Dodge 3/4 ton with diesel power. Fuel mileage is 11 to 11.5 (toyhauler) at interstate speeds vs 17 to 17.5 (HiLo). Wife is happy to give me a break with the HiLo. Not so with the toyhauler. I have been pulling trailers for 45 years and the HiLo causes little stress over single vehicle driving. Toyhauler is much more stressful. Did a 915 mile day and a 1025 mile day on a recent trip to and from Austin, Tx with the HiLo last month. No way I would try that with the toyhauler. Much easier to see around the shorter, 96 inch wide HiLo, than the longer, 102 inch wide toyhauler. Much less effect from crosswinds and aero push from tractor trailers with the HiLo. Hope this info is what you are looking for.

It sure would have been nice if the large variety of toy haulers that exists today existed when I did a lot of motorcycle riding, mid-70s to late 90s. Back then there was pretty much only one manufacturer of this type of trailer and they were very expensive. I believe that the original Weekend Warrior company (not the current one) pretty much invented the toy hauler type of trailer.

Instead of using a toy hauler, I used to load 2-3 dirt bikes or 2 street bikes in the back of my truck, in addition to pulling an 18' TT.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceshawwyattg5 View Post
can someone please help me, my dad has a 1975 hi-lo and the cables for raising up need to be replaced they are fraying, does anyone know where i can get a diagram, so i can replace them ty
joyce
You can find your cables here.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f56/...parts-com-893/
Luke 1:49
Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
It sure would have been nice if the large variety of toy haulers that exists today existed when I did a lot of motorcycle riding, mid-70s to late 90s. Back then there was pretty much only one manufacturer of this type of trailer and they were very expensive. I believe that the original Weekend Warrior company (not the current one) pretty much invented the toy hauler type of trailer.

Instead of using a toy hauler, I used to load 2-3 dirt bikes or 2 street bikes in the back of my truck, in addition to pulling an 18' TT.
I have a similar set up. I load the bikes into the back of my van and tow the hilo. Load the canoe on the roof with the wife and dog, we're ready for anything.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannooch View Post
I have a similar set up. I load the bikes into the back of my van and tow the hilo. Load the canoe on the roof with the wife and dog, we're ready for anything.
They all fit on the roof?

- Jack
Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

Ha!! They love sitting in the canoe on the roof of the van..
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Site Team

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #20

Vannooch,
Might your last name be Clampett?

Years ago, friends and I took a trip to Maine and beyond. We welded some uprights on a 6x8ish utility trailer to carry two canoes. There were two Goldwings on the deck, interspaced with various camping supplies, and a towable motorcycle cargo trailer hanging on the tailgate. Truck was a 4 door crew cab with 4 adults and two kids inside. The truck bed was full of more camping gear, clothing, tackle, boating gear, and personal items. When we left to come home, the in-laws stuck a "Beverly Hills or Bust" sign on the back that we didn't discover until Jersey.

motobuffy is offline   Reply With Quote