Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
PnK

Default Long term camping

Does anyone do long term camping in their HILO. By long term I mean 2 to 3 months at a time or longer. If you do what length do you have?

PnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

We have done 3-4-&5 month journeys.
1985 20' funchaser.
Done with 2 small dogs and wife.
To Florida 2 times for 3-4 months, and another west of the Mississippi only, that was 5 months.
We could have stayed in relatives homes but we are much more comfortable in our trlr.
We bring laptop with movies/and music loaded. No need for TV.
We have everything needed. Use park toilets/showers when available.

It is a small space and you MUST get along with your travel partner. No place to hide.

Unfortunately, my wife is now on Oxygen 24/7. So now my trips are alone, and shorter by far.
Yes, I still go. But without her, and dogs.

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnK View Post
Does anyone do long term camping in their HILO. By long term I mean 2 to 3 months at a time or longer. If you do what length do you have?
We hav e done one and two month trips, completing the two month trip last year in our 2005 27Tow-Lite. We stayed in State Parks, RV Parks, one night in a motel as we could not find a campground in a severe rain storm, and three weeks camped at a farm in Massachusetts. Also a few nights in a city park in Lewisville, Texas. At $8.00 a night for seniors, Lewisville can't be beat with water, electric, showers and a dump station.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

We have done 5 months for the last 2 years from Florida to Portland Oregon taking a different route each time. It's just my wife and I and our cat in our 2806C. We stay at ACE campgrounds as much as we can and do some boondocking. We have 200 watts of solar panels and 2 group 29 batteries and a 3000 watt inverter. All lighting is LED and we just installed a easy start on our AC so we can run it with our 2300 watt generator if needed. The easy start also makes the AC run much quieter when plugged into shore power. Now the only way to tell that the compressor is kicking on is you hear the fan slow down a little. Best $160 I ever spent.
Jeanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:57 AM   #5

Do you remember the easy start part # that you used
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
sam

Default Air conditioner information needed.

What is the make of your air conditioner? What is the BTU?
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

Woman we bought just bought our 2307C from in AZ said she's been full-timing in Hi-Lo's for at least 6 months a year for several years while travelling extensively in the western U.S.; said the one we bought was her 4th (each one a couple of years newer than the one it replaced).

She's single and retired, said the only reason she was selling was that she stays mainly at Thousand Trails parks - they've started strictly enforcing a 10 year maximum age limit on RV's, trailers and tow vehicles, so the '07 had "aged-out" of eligibility for their parks.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
sam

Default Long term camping

Hi Lo owners in our camping club snowbirded to Florida for 3to4 months in their 27ft. HiLo. They stayed in a park long term. Several years ago they picked up a used ifth wheel and had it transported to their park in Florida. Not sure if they have sold the HiLo. Now they have sob that they use in the summer time. Needed to down size. We had a tour of their new trailer and it was beautiful. Had a murphy bed.and was a light weight model.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:12 PM   #9

just did a little over 3 mo. in my 1978 22 ft. Bon Voyage moved from upstate N.Y. to northern Florida. She traveled and camped like a champ.

FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote