Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Default Loss of water on my 15T

Hi-

I recently took two dry camping trips with my HiLo 15T, and since they didn't have water hookups at the campsites I went to, I had to fill my water tank before leaving to have water when there. However, when I got to my destinations, both times I only had about 1/2 the water remaining in the tank than when I started driving. The fill tank valve was closed, the outside water drain was shut off, and there wasn't any evident leakage underneath the trailer after we began camping, or inside the water tank compartment. My only conclusion is that the water must have sloshed out of the overflow when in transit. Has anyone else had this happen, or can anyone give me a recommendation so I can have all the water I start a trip with? It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to block the overflow without unclamping the connected hose, then clamping some other blocking device onto the outlet. Please help if you can.

Thanks!

skyking14u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome, Sky. (I used to listen to Sky King on the radio when I was young).

There are probably two, in-line drain valves in your trailer that you don't mention. Mine has them. They are between the water pump and the faucets. You can get to them via the exterior door or possibly under a couch from the interior. If one or both is not fully closed, water would escape there. They are 1/4 turn valves, and I found mine by accident when I turned on the pump one time while dry camping.

I don't really see water sloshing out of the overflow during travel. Mine certainly doesn't when I HAVE to carry water.

The only other thing I can think of is a loose connection on the tubing from the tank to the outside drain valve. I've replaced both of my OEM wire type clamps with small automotive water hose clamps that are tightened with a screwdriver or a wrench.

But, either of these should have also shown up as wet spots under the trailer when it is stopped. Possibly a slow leak would only be "fast" when the trailer is in motion.

I wonder if you possibly have a crack in the top of the tank, that would allow water to slosh out during travel? I think the only easy way to check this would be to fill the tank, then drive a short distance, stop and check for wetness everywhere.

Good luck.

- Jack

Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Thank you so much for replying so fast. I'm back at home now, and filled the tank just to see if there was any leaking while stationary--found nothing to that, tank remains full. The tank itself seems in good shape and all around the tank bottom the floor is dry. I haven't driven with the tank full since trying to find the cause, so that may be my next step. The tubing already has the automotive water hose clamps on, and they appear to be working--no leak evidence below them, and no puddles underneath the trailer.
I'll check to see if there are in-line drain valves as you suggested that I didn't know about. This is a big mystery as to where the water went, but I'll keep checking.

Thanks again Jack!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Site Team

One other thing - how are you checking the level in the water tank? Are you using the Mattel toy gauge that was OEM in the trailer? If so, it may very well be lying to you. They are notoriously undependable.

You could see if that's the problem by trying to add more water when you see it has "gone down" after a trip. If the gauge is lying, water will probably come out the overflow port rather quickly.

And, (just trying to think of other possibilities) maybe an air bubble in the tank is causing the overflow port to vent BEFORE the tank was actually filled? Then, the movement during travel causes the air bubble to vent out of the port, creating more room for water. This sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but I can't think of other reasons for the disappearance.

I DO think you have those valves. Look for an inline tee between the pump and the faucets. There will be a valve handle at the end of the short tee. But, I'm also suspicious of the water gauge in the trailer too.

Good luck! Let us know what you find. Yours is truly a new problem that I've never heard of in my time in the forums.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #5

Hi again. The water level is purely visual. It is a semi-transparent tank, and I can see exactly where the water level is just by looking at the tank and watching it raise to the top until it overflows out the overflow drain. I had an experienced RV person look at the plumbing and he couldn't find anything unusual. What's weird is that I've camped before where I had to take the water with me, and had no problem, and never changed any valve settings since then, except to add the water to the tank. But the last two times I camped I lost that water when we arrived, and the last time I camped, I was with that experienced RV person that personally filled the water tank and gave his OK-to-go. Even he is mystified as to where the water went.
I'm still going to look for those in-line drain valves that you suggested. I didn't have the time to look after your posting.
Thanks again for trying to help!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking14u View Post
I'm still going to look for those in-line drain valves that you suggested. I didn't have the time to look after your posting.
Thanks again for trying to help!
A quick way to find the drain valves is to take a look under the trailer, the tubes should be visible. The stick out maybe 2". The valves should be directly above. On my 2310H the valves are on the floor under the sink.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
sam

Default Loss of water

Our HiLo service advisor told us to use compresed air in the filler tube. Do this very gently. This air lock could prevent the tank from filling up. One time I couldn't fill the tank as it backed up immediately. A kind camper unhooked the hose and clamp under the couch. Must have been an air lock as it never did this again. Hope this solves your problem.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Replace the propane regulator at the propane tanks The rubber diaphragm inside the regular goes bad
This is for propane problems not loss of water
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

The problem is exactly what you suspected, the water is splashing out of the vent.
I have a 15t with the same problem.
Due to the location of the tank there is no good way to install a outside gravity fill
with the associated small vent tubing.
Hi-Lo then used the fill connection as the vent which is much to large.
What I did was cut the vent tubing and installed fittings to reduce the size of it.
I made the new tubing a little longer and higher and stuck the end in what was left of the larger tubing that runs through the floor.
I still lose a little water but not nearly as much as before.
tomsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsher View Post
The problem is exactly what you suspected, the water is splashing out of the vent.
I have a 15t with the same problem.
Due to the location of the tank there is no good way to install a outside gravity fill
with the associated small vent tubing.
Hi-Lo then used the fill connection as the vent which is much to large.
What I did was cut the vent tubing and installed fittings to reduce the size of it.
I made the new tubing a little longer and higher and stuck the end in what was left of the larger tubing that runs through the floor.
I still lose a little water but not nearly as much as before.
Wow! I am so glad to hear from you since you also have a 15T. I could not find any drain valves as others suggested, because they have a longer model than what we have. After studying the tank & plumbing, the sloshing out while driving had to be the answer. I was just thinking of just undoing the hose attached to the overflow outlet, then adapt a "cap" that I could secure with an automotive hose clamp to prevent any water from coming out while traveling. The overflow outlet only seems needed when filling the tank, so I can't think of any harm this would cause. What do you think? Again, thank you so much for replying!!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Site Team

Sky, the overflow outlet IS a vent to the tank that allows air to enter as water is used. If the filler cap was a tight seal and the vent was plugged, it might cause the tank to collapse as water goes out.

The vent on my model trailer (1707T) is right above the filler valve. This places it slightly above the top of the tank, and I've not experienced any water loss. If, in fact you are losing water there, I'd try to relocate the opening higher rather than closing it off. Failing that, I'd advise loosening the filler cap (but close the door over it) when you set up camp.

- Jack
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #12

Good thoughts. I will definately take that into consideration when trying to remedy the water loss. Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

The 15T does not have an external fill for the water tank.
The only way to fill it is with the city water connection and open the proper valves.
Jack is correct, the tank would collapse if you block off the vent.
Because the tank is mounted on top of the floor under the dinette seat it's not possible to make the vent higher.
I would sure like to know what HI-LO was thinking when they designed the 15T water system.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

Here is a link to a previous post I wrote on this problem: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f27/...hlight=tomsher
Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Thank you, tomsher. I had no idea there was no external fill port for the tank in that trailer. It DOES seem a questionable design.

I'm not coming up with a suitable "fix". I think it would be very easy to forget to open the vent when camping, so I'm reluctant to endorse closing it off.

- Jack
Old 10-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

The first time I filled my tank I thought I lost a bunch as well but actually it was just that the water slowly filled the also empty hot water heater. That things holds a surprising portion of the volume of the regular tank. Now I fill the big tank, then run water out the hot faucets till air is gone, then top off the tank again.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote