Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Default LP & CO detector

In the manual it says the light should be green. Is it suppose to blink green or stay steady on green?

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmouser View Post
In the manual it says the light should be green. Is it suppose to blink green or stay steady on green?
The way I read my 2005 manual it should be a steady green. Suggest you test the detector to see if it is working properly. A low battery will cause it to malfunction.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
The way I read my 2005 manual it should be a steady green. Suggest you test the detector to see if it is working properly. A low battery will cause it to malfunction.
My LP detector blinks, a green light maybe every 10-20 seconds? I've never timed it, so I don't know, but it's always been this way. And, it runs off the 12 V DC power supply from the trailer's batteries, not an internal battery.

My CO detector doesn't have a light that's on during normal operation. (Edit: see below.)

- Jack
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #4

I think you should read that manual again. My CO detector BLINKS green,HILO video # 4 on youtube.
TESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #5

Jack, what brand do you happen to have? I'd be very suspicious of a CO detector that didn't have a light. Seems like there should be one on there somewhere.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESS View Post
I think you should read that manual again. My CO detector BLINKS green,HILO video # 4 on youtube.
The blinking green is proper. The video is showing the LP detector with the green light.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jack, what brand do you happen to have? I'd be very suspicious of a CO detector that didn't have a light. Seems like there should be one on there somewhere.
I LIED! (I should spend more time in my trailer.) It DOES have a blinking green light, once every 30 seconds, and a separate red light that illuminates if there is CO detected. In my defense, it's mounted so I don't see it at night like the LP alarm, which I notice if I'm facing the right way. The CO alarm brand is Kidde.

Additional information on the LP alarm - the light flashes green under normal operation, it turns amber if there is a fault, and it turns red if there is propane detected and sounds an alarm.

Happily, we're setting off for a week on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon this weekend, so I'll get reacquainted with the trailer. We've been spending all our free time getting a rental property we have ready for sale, so haven't been out this year yet. The trailer seems to have survived the winter without incident except for a mousie that seems to have visited the lower cabinets. It shredded a roll of toilet paper and a paper towel roll. It does not seem to have set up residence.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #8

Jack, that LP detector is very sensitive. About two years ago, we were camping up at Lake Jordan outside of Raleigh, NC, and the weather turned bad while my son and husband were outside trying to get my son's large tent erected before the rain started. My granddaughter, her dog, and I were inside our Hi-Lo when the storm hit. When there was a loud clap of thunder, the dog crouched up against the LP detector and let one rip (the word starts with "fa"), the detector went off, and it was extremely loud. We were out of that camper and into the driving rain in no time flat without even time to think. My husband finally figured out what happened, and it wasn't an "LP" gas leak.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Default LP & CO detector

It seems a great many lessons are to be learned from long vacations in the Hi-Lo. The LP sensor blinking green is normal. If an animal is flagellant near the sensor better safe then sorry "pun intended" and exit the vehicle in a calm manner. Always hook up to an electrical outlet when you are going to be stationary for any length of time more than an hour so the battery does not go dead. If you put a new battery in the unit and the lights go dim anyway make sure the breaker is in the on position. Always level the Hi-Lo before raising the unit and lowering the stabilizer jacks (including unhooking before you level). Always make sure the stabilizer jacks are in the up position before moving the vehicle. Lets see... Pretty much what the Owners Manual Check list states that as a man I seem to not read the directions first before making all of the mistakes that I have made on this trip. Looking forward to being home in Michigan tomorrow evening and resting in my own bed before performing some maintenance items on my Hi-Lo before storing it for the winter. I have the Hot Water tank side of my unit about 1" or more higher than the awning side so I need to cut 2X4's and adjust my cables so both sides are level when the top is up. Discovered this in the road trip as well. I am shooting penetrating oil on the adjustment bolts and letting them sit over night when I get home so I will be able to loosen them before making adjustments. As a Technology Instructor I find it interesting that no matter how many college degree's you have that you can learn something new about something other then your field of expertise everyday.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESS View Post
I stand corrected, Tess. Just as you say, the light should BLINK green.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Dee, that's a hilarious story! Thanks for sharing it.

On the subject of detectors, I replaced the original "smoke detector" in the trailer which was the "ionization" type with a slightly more expensive "photoelectric" type. I got tired of the detector sounding off almost any time we cooked anything on the stove. According to Wikipedia, either kind is adequate, but the photoelectric kind is less likely to sound false alarms. Smoke detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So far, the new detector has been much better behaved.

- Jack
Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #12

Default Hi-Lo 17T Propane Stove

Where is the shut off valve for the propane stove? We do not use it but my wife bumped the gas knob while we were setting up the unit and there was an awful smell in the unit. The detector did not go off but it would be safer is we could turn off the propane line to the stove.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmouser View Post
Where is the shut off valve for the propane stove? We do not use it but my wife bumped the gas knob while we were setting up the unit and there was an awful smell in the unit. The detector did not go off but it would be safer is we could turn off the propane line to the stove.
Hi Ratmouser,

On my unit there is not a separate valve that isolates only the stove (at least I have not found one as yet). I believe you have to turn off the propane at the source.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Hi Ratmouser,

On my unit there is not a separate valve that isolates only the stove (at least I have not found one as yet). I believe you have to turn off the propane at the source.
Luckdog is correct. You have to turn of the propane at the source, i.e. propane tanks.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #15

Darn it!! Thank you!!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #16

speaking of detectors

While driving through New mexico a few weeks ago ( i may have posted this already-if so I apologize) I encountered a fith wheeler Camp Host unit on fire at national monument I stopped by. We could not get in the trailer to see if anyone was there. Horrible black smoke coming out by the time I got near the door and though better of opening it. Was able to call 911, and when I got home i was able to ascertain nobody WAS in it- which is great because they would not have survived. Got home and checked my fire extinquisher and I need to remember to check the smoke alarm AND the emergency exit. Not much time to save yourself when things go south!

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
Site Team

Yow! Glad no one was home. Must have been a pretty sobering experience for you!

- Jack
Old 07-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
speaking of detectors

While driving through New mexico a few weeks ago ( i may have posted this already-if so I apologize) I encountered a fith wheeler Camp Host unit on fire at national monument I stopped by. We could not get in the trailer to see if anyone was there. Horrible black smoke coming out by the time I got near the door and though better of opening it. Was able to call 911, and when I got home i was able to ascertain nobody WAS in it- which is great because they would not have survived. Got home and checked my fire extinquisher and I need to remember to check the smoke alarm AND the emergency exit. Not much time to save yourself when things go south!
Glad to hear no one was injured! Probably a good thing you didn't try and open that door!

This is a good reminder to check our safety gear. I used to work for a company that serviced fire extinguishers and many people don't realize that the extinguishing agent in the ABC type bottles is a very fine powder that can get super compacted over time, especially in a vehicle/ RV environment which vibrates and is subject to extreme temperatures. Also, the discharge gas can develop slow leaks so that there is no pressure to push the chemical out. It's a good idea to inspect your extinguishers on a regular basis and to either replace or service them every couple years or so.

Also a good idea to test that emergency egress, in my case, the kitchen window. I recently discovered on my trailer that a previous owner had applied a bead a silicone around the window, making it very difficult to open.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #19

How DO you check a fire extinguisher? Mine registers in the "ok" green range on the dial but I'm not sure that means anything.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
How DO you check a fire extinguisher? Mine registers in the "ok" green range on the dial but I'm not sure that means anything.
The only way to know absolutely is to discharge it but that's not too practical is it? It's not uncommon for the gauges to be in the green and appear as if they have a charge when in fact they may not- they can get "stuck." The best you can do is to get the extinguisher regularly serviced by a qualified service tech. It's a good idea to have an extinguisher in your TV, as well as the trailer, as a backup.

By the way, never try and use a partially discharged extinguisher, either replace or service it. The chemical can corrode the valve seat and render it useless.