Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Need Help.....

When you adjust the cables due top one or more sides, my case it is the front and it says to adjust the adjustment nuts, WHERE in the heck are they????

The only thing we are getting is they are where the cables connect to the bottom rail. Mine only attach to the bottom rail with a plain old bolt, nothing to adjust.

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
lengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

Default correction

I don't know what in the heck I was typing.....one end of the top sits lower than the other and trying to adjust the cables with the adjustment skrews which can't find, there is nothing on the bolt that bolts to the bottom rail.

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Team

You should see four bolts in front of the tire on the left hand side of the trailer. These will each have two nuts on the outside and if you look inside, you'll see the cables attach to them. Tightening the proper nut will pull the bolt out, which will raise the low corner. (The outer nut is just a lock nut you should tighten down once you get the cable adjusted.)

The two front bolts are moved out to raise the front of the top half. The top bolt is the Right Front, the bottom bolt is the Left Front. You lower the top onto 4 2x4s to take the tension off the cables to make the adjustments.

The complete directions can be found in this link (along with information on replacing the cables, if that need should arise):
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/atta..._1998_24td.pdf
It says it's for a 2005 model, but the description applies to most, if not all HiLos. Look at pages 4 and 10 for the adjustment points and adjustment procedure.

There are many Owners Manuals in this forum too: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/ You may find yours there.

- Jack
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Default Found them...

Thank you so much for answering. I hunted the darn things down. I do have the owner manual but it is not clear where the adjustments were. Hubby is going to help me get it adjusted this coming weekend.

Again thank you!!!

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Just be carefull and adjust in small increments, a little can go a long way.

If another person has messed with this at all, you might find that one side is too high instead of the other side being too low. I made the quick assumption, which caused me to break a pully (thankfully not a cable) which is much easier to replace the pulley than the whole cable for any given corner...

as far as I know, THE ONLY for sure "up to correct height" is to watch for the 2 "seals" (outside the lower half, inside the top half) to touch when raised, and by the same amounts all around, as none of the trim inside matters at all, though they will probably be close to same, dont just assume it will. it was assembled by humans, not robots.

Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

Thank you for the advise and will relay to hubby!!

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

There have been numerous discussions concerning cable adjustments, but everything I have found on adjustments addresses raising a low corner or low side. I have not seen anything about adjusting to lower a corner or corners. I realize it would be the opposite of raising a corner, but the question is...if you are going to lower a corner or corners, is it necessary to go through the blocking process?

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote