Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Default Need some advice

I am doing a project on the BEAST to raise the ground clearance. I found the axles I need, and want to use my old hubs and drums. That will save me about $400.00 and I can use that money in other places. The hubs and drums are in real good shape and I want to replace the bearings, seals and brakes. My question is are the bearings on a 3500 lb. axle the same from axle to axle. (I mean on different brands) This project will raise my ground clearance about 10 inches. No more worrying about dragging the frame going up a driveway or tearing off the sewer valves on rough ground. Maybe if mine works it would help some of you guys and girls to fix your trailers also. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
sam

Default axle question

Do an internet search for the phone # or email address of the manufacture of your axles. Get your question answered right from the source. Take and post pictures of your mod.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Default interest

I think that several folks are going to have an interest in what your doing. Please share info and pics. Thanks

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Boy- ten inches will be a pretty sizeable increase. I raised mine 3 inches this year and that seems to put it in the range of some of the other trailers I see around. If I put larger tires on I will have a bit more. If you are not that far yet- stop and think if you really want THAT much of a lift as one of the attributes of a HI-LO is the low center of gravity when towing.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Hello hilltool, Yes I've thought a lot about it. I even thought about bigger tires and even went to a friend at a local tire shop and tried that, but with the triple axles there is not enough room unless I relocate the front and rear axles. I don't want to do a lot of re-fabrication, so as a bolt on, this makes better sense. As for the change in height, it still won't be as high as the top of the cab on my F-150 4x4. I'm afraid that if I don't raise the ride height I will seriously damage the frame at some point. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote