Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Default New forum member

Hello or should I say "hi"? I just acquired a Hi-Lo 2003 Tow Lite 27 this week. I have a question about refrigeration. Can the refrigerator be left on when towing? I am sure to have other questions, and will be reading the forum.

Thanks to the moderators and all who have made this forum possible.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on getting a "new" HiLo, you are now a part of a special community of HiLo owners. We are a friendly bunch and always willing to help each other.

About your fridge, you can run it while on the road ,but there are a couple things you need to keep in mind. If you run it in the DC mode, which is preferred, you had better have a good charge line from the tow vehicle and a good battery. The fridge draws about 15 amps and can drain the battery easily. Although not recommended for safety reasons, many run their fridge in the LP mode. If you stop for more than an hour either raise the top or turn off the fridge because it won't be properly vented while sitting still.

If you have everything cold and the fridge started the day before you leave, you can keep the fridge turned off and travel for several hours with no problems. We do that most times.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on getting a "new" HiLo, you are now a part of a special community of HiLo owners. We are a friendly bunch and always willing to help each other.

About your fridge, you can run it while on the road ,but there are a couple things you need to keep in mind. If you run it in the DC mode, which is preferred, you had better have a good charge line from the tow vehicle and a good battery. The fridge draws about 15 amps and can drain the battery easily. Although not recommended for safety reasons, many run their fridge in the LP mode. If you stop for more than an hour either raise the top or turn off the fridge because it won't be properly vented while sitting still.

If you have everything cold and the fridge started the day before you leave, you can keep the fridge turned off and travel for several hours with no problems. We do that most times.

Thanks so much for the helpful reply.I just picked it up in Ocala yesterday, and got home to Tennessee today. I will winterize for awhile, and try to set up a solar battery charger. The trailer towed very well. So far so good.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Moonstruck Welcome to the forum. Were you thinking of putting on a solar panel so you could charge up your battery during the winter? Read through some of the back posts this winter. Lots of good information. Also a great video series on the operation of the HiLo is posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
sam

Default Won't complain

You got that right. Just watch the world news with pictures of our November snow storm. Now the temps will be 50degrees and many places will have severe flooding. Many have already had roof colapses. Lots of wet heavy snow and rain equals rood caveins. Yesterday 130 residets had to be evacuated from a Nursing home due to a buckling roof. Take care Ann
sam is offline   Reply With Quote