Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #1

Default New Hi Lo Owners (Soon)!

Hi all,

Well, we put down a deposit on a Hi Lo today! We were originally targeting a 22' model but we ended up purchasing a 2407T in excellent condition. We really liked the way the tip-out opens up the trailer and this trailer looked practically new so we decided to pull the trigger on it. The seller is including an EAZ-LIFT brand WDH with sway control so that solves the issue of towing back home.

We will be driving to pick it up in the Sierra foothill town of Sonora, CA (about 5 hours away) this coming Thursday so wish us luck!

Thanks to everyone who has generously given me their advice, tips, and knowledge as I've made my way through this steep learning curve. Now the real questions begin!

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2407T.jpg (45.2 KB, 29 views)

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #2

Congrats.. I love mine. Haven't had it a year and still rearranging stuff in it.

Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

Don't forget that you'll need a brake controller in your tow vehicle. If you don't have one yet many here recommend a Prodidgy P2 or P3.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Don't forget that you'll need a brake controller in your tow vehicle. If you don't have one yet many here recommend a Prodidgy P2 or P3.
Yep! I ordered a P3 online. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday at the post office and installing it before I head up on Thursday.

About the only negative on this trailer is that the tires are the original ones from 2007. You wouldn't know that by looking at them as the tread looks new and there are no sidewall cracks noted. I'm thinking I can tow it home like that then re-pack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes. I'll probably replace the tires to be safe before going camping though.

Thanks,
Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

I just replaced my tires w/ Maxxis D rated tires
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
I just replaced my tires w/ Maxxis D rated tires
Hi Les,

Can you explain the difference between the tires you bought and the stock ones? Where did you purchase them and what do they cost, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
sam

Default soon to be HiLo owner

Just thinking of your safety and your family. Your tires are seven yrs. old. Wouldn't want you to have a blowout on the way home. Blowouts will cause thousands of dollars in damage to your HiLo. Have some type of roadside assistance. If it were me I would find a tire shop/RV place and get brakes/bearings checked before you hit the road. Bring new tires with you and find a truck shop that will install. New tires could cost around $100 to $150. a piece. Best of luck as you bring the HiLo home.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Hi Les,

Can you explain the difference between the tires you bought and the stock ones? Where did you purchase them and what do they cost, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Tires used on trailers should be ST tires designed for trailers, Larger trailers(over 10,000lbs.) have had better luck with LT tires designed for trucks. For our size trailers I would stay with ST tires.
I was not impressed with tires oftered by large tire shops. Over the years, tires are more common coming from china. Alot of people have had problems with these tires. I wanted a higher quaility tire.
I upgraded from c rated tires to d rated tires. I installed Maxxis tires that I bought from amazon.com with free shipping and had a local tire install them.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Tires used on trailers should be ST tires designed for trailers, Larger trailers(over 10,000lbs.) have had better luck with LT tires designed for trucks. For our size trailers I would stay with ST tires.
I was not impressed with tires oftered by large tire shops. Over the years, tires are more common coming from china. Alot of people have had problems with these tires. I wanted a higher quaility tire.
I upgraded from c rated tires to d rated tires. I installed Maxxis tires that I bought from amazon.com with free shipping and had a local tire install them.
Since I forgot to write down the tire size, can your tell me the size I should be looking for?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Just thinking of your safety and your family. Your tires are seven yrs. old. Wouldn't want you to have a blowout on the way home. Blowouts will cause thousands of dollars in damage to your HiLo. Have some type of roadside assistance. If it were me I would find a tire shop/RV place and get brakes/bearings checked before you hit the road. Bring new tires with you and find a truck shop that will install. New tires could cost around $100 to $150. a piece. Best of luck as you bring the HiLo home.
Good advice, Sam- think I'll take it. I just need to verify the tire size and find a good tire store near Sonora. We do have AAA insurance which has roadside assistance but I need to call them tomorrow to add the trailer to our policy.

Thanks,
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Since I forgot to write down the tire size, can your tell me the size I should be looking for?

Thanks
ST205/75/15 which is on my trailer but check yours, I would still upgrade to D rated tires. Most tire shops carring C rated in this size.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #12

Thanks, Les! I called the seller and verified the size, the same as you stated. There is a Les Schwab in Oakdale, about 40 miles away. I've never bought from them but have heard good things about that chain so I'll check with them. Looks like all the tire stores are closed for the holiday so will call tomorrow.

Thanks to any active duty and vets on the forum, by the way! God bless you!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

I have heard good things about Les Schwab too. I got my tires at Discount tire. Smaller than yours 13". I got 4 wheels and 4 tires on sale for about $500 w/ $200 rebate. Then I sold the used wheels with a disclaimer that the tires were worn to people as spares - or extra spares for about another $120.
You can check availability online before you drive up there.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
I have heard good things about Les Schwab too. I got my tires at Discount tire. Smaller than yours 13". I got 4 wheels and 4 tires on sale for about $500 w/ $200 rebate. Then I sold the used wheels with a disclaimer that the tires were worn to people as spares - or extra spares for about another $120.
You can check availability online before you drive up there.
Just found out that Les Schwab is a Maxxis dealer which is the brand campthewestcoast just bought for his trailer. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow morn. Don't guess I should try and sell the old tires on the new trailer since they are over 7 years old!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Just found out that Les Schwab is a Maxxis dealer which is the brand campthewestcoast just bought for his trailer. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow morn. Don't guess I should try and sell the old tires on the new trailer since they are over 7 years old!
As with any tire shop, watch what they do. The trailer must be disconnected from the truck when jacking up the trailer(the side ways stress with trailer connected may bind on the hitch and bend the frame). Have them jack up one side at a time to do the tires and bearings. Complete the work on one side, install tires and lower down. Then jack up the other side. This way will take the tire shop longer but stand your ground. I don't want you to have a bent frame like I had on my 97 towlite which I didn't know until after buying it. Also, watch where they jack-up the trailer because of the type of axles you have. DO NOT JACK UP ON AXLE. Only jack up on the frame between the two tires using a bottle jack( make sure the tire shop has one). A standard floor jack will not work because it's to wide. The other tire Les Schwab sells is TowMax, I didn't get the life out of these. Go with Maxxis.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
As with any tire shop, watch what they do. The trailer must be disconnected from the truck when jacking up the trailer(the side ways stress with trailer connected may bind on the hitch and bend the frame). Have them jack up one side at a time to do the tires and bearings. Complete the work on one side, install tires and lower down. Then jack up the other side. This way will take the tire shop longer but stand your ground. I don't want you to have a bent frame like I had on my 97 towlite which I didn't know until after buying it. Also, watch where they jack-up the trailer because of the type of axles you have. DO NOT JACK UP ON AXLE. Only jack up on the frame between the two tires using a bottle jack( make sure the tire shop has one). A standard floor jack will not work because it's to wide. The other tire Les Schwab sells is TowMax, I didn't get the life out of these. Go with Maxxis.
Hi Les,
The seller gave me the owner's manual for the trailer and in it it states "place a scissor jack under the frame (on frame only) adjacent to the wheel that is to be removed." It shows an illustration with an arrow pointed to the frame just in front (or behind) one of the tires. In this case it looks like they are changing one tire. If the tire store does not have a bottle jack, do you think it would harm the frame if two jacks were placed outside and adjacent to each tire (on the same trailer side), and that side was lifted simultaneously using the two jacks?

Thanks,
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi Les,
The seller gave me the owner's manual for the trailer and in it it states "place a scissor jack under the frame (on frame only) adjacent to the wheel that is to be removed." It shows an illustration with an arrow pointed to the frame just in front (or behind) one of the tires. In this case it looks like they are changing one tire. If the tire store does not have a bottle jack, do you think it would harm the frame if two jacks were placed outside and adjacent to each tire (on the same trailer side), and that side was lifted simultaneously using the two jacks?

Thanks,
yes that would work, disconnect the trailer from the truck.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #18

Quote:
The guy who bought my two used tires that were still mounted on rims was using them on a utility trailer that he pulls behind his UTV on his farm. I was upfront with him about their age and he was thrilled to get them.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #19

Campofthewest, I'm curious as to why you would need to take the Hi-Lo off the hitch. A well lubricated ball connection allows for flexibility when there is pivoting of the camper. Believe me, there is a lot of wide-degree pivoting of that hitch when you are on bad roads getting to your camp site.

If you prefer not to use a jack at all, we carry with us a tire ramp (you must have a double-axled Hi-Lo for this). For example, if you want to work on the back left tire (driver's side), disconnect the weight distribution bars, place the small tire ramp in front of the front tire on the left side, get in the truck and pull that front left tire up on the tire ramp, set the truck emergency brake, and then change or do what needs to be done to that left back tire. Same is true for the front left tire, place the small tire ramp between the tires, pull the back tire up on the ramp, and work on the front tire, always remembering to set that truck emergency brake. It is the same process for the right side tires (passenger side).

Dee
2509 Hi-Lo Classic
2010 F-250 Powerstroke Diesel
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #20

P.S. The only time I would think that you would need a jack is if you experienced two flat tires at one time on one side of the Hi-Lo.

Dee

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote