Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Default New member with roof question

My wife and I are new to camping and are in the process of restoring a 1990 229D. The rubberized material on the roof was replaced by the previous owner several years ago, but he told me it really needs to be sealed. I did some research and found products by a company called Dicor. Does anyone have experience with their products, and if so would you recommend them? Which type of sealer is correct for a Hi-Lo roof? Apparently there are several different types of roof materials and I am not certain which is used by Hi-Lo. Thanks - Rick

Rick Humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #2

I used this product on a rubber roof on a 5th wheel I remodeled recently. It is extremely thick and makes a thick rubber coating over any type of roof membrane. It isn't cheap but well worth it.

Liquid Roof 4 Gallon 10 yr Warranty Valid Only If Purchased at Epdmcoatings Com | eBay

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll look into it.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
sam

Default Sealing rubber roof

I have a rubber roof on my 1990 25ft. HiLo. We just went to our RV dealership and bought Dicor rubber roof sealer. One gallon should be all you need. It is a good idea to seal the roof. A new roof could cost in the neighbourhood of $6000.00. Use blue tape where the edge meets the fiberglass siding. This will give you a nice crisp paint line. Remove tape carefully when you are through applying the coating. Follow all the directions on the can. You may want to do two coats.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how much sealer I should buy. According to the Dicor website I should need two gallons, but every review I've read says that you actually need much less than they recommend. I guess that's not surprising as they are in business to sell as much product as they can. - Rick
Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
I used this product on a rubber roof on a 5th wheel I remodeled recently. It is extremely thick and makes a thick rubber coating over any type of roof membrane. It isn't cheap but well worth it.

Liquid Roof 4 Gallon 10 yr Warranty Valid Only If Purchased at Epdmcoatings Com | eBay
How many gallons did you actually use on the 5th wheeler, and what was the size of same?
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

It was 34 foot X 8 foot with a 15 foot X 5 foot slideout and I used 12 gallons. That was actually a bit more than needed but it has a catalyst that mixes with it and once its mixed you have to use it. Can't be stored after catalyzing. This stuff is extremely thick and self leveling. I had a 1/2 inch drill with a mixing paddle to mix it and the drill was smoking while mixing it. Made a beautiful roof when dry. it was 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick after drying. Along with the original rubber membrane the finished roof was nearly 1/4 inch thick. Should last a long time. There is a new system out called RV Armor that a contractor will come put on and it is guaranteed for life. Materials and labor. It looks to be an incredible system and they are meticulous with installation. They have a website and a video of the install on there. No idea what the cost is though.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
It was 34 foot X 8 foot with a 15 foot X 5 foot slideout and I used 12 gallons. That was actually a bit more than needed but it has a catalyst that mixes with it and once its mixed you have to use it. Can't be stored after catalyzing. This stuff is extremely thick and self leveling. I had a 1/2 inch drill with a mixing paddle to mix it and the drill was smoking while mixing it. Made a beautiful roof when dry. it was 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick after drying. Along with the original rubber membrane the finished roof was nearly 1/4 inch thick. Should last a long time. There is a new system out called RV Armor that a contractor will come put on and it is guaranteed for life. Materials and labor. It looks to be an incredible system and they are meticulous with installation. They have a website and a video of the install on there. No idea what the cost is though.
Thanks Jon, I probably should do something with the roof on my unit, but I would be concerned about the dry weight of the finished product, as it sounds like I would need about 7 gallons for a 27T, based on your usage of about one gallon for 29 square feet.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
sam

Default Armor roof coating

A few years ago we went to a Good Sam Rallye where the rep. from Armor presented a seminar. He used to do conventional flat and other types of roofs. It sounds like an interesting process. He quoted about 6000.00 for our 25ft. roof.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #10

Yikes! 6K isn't cheap but we spent $1000 for the liquid rubber plus my cost of doing the work. Guess it depends on how long you want to keep the trailer. The lifetime warranty, which is transferable if you sell it, is a big plus. But that is a high dollar roof for a 25 foot trailer. Probably would have been in the neighborhood of 10K for the 5th wheel I did.