Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Default New owner 1988 22' with a couple questions...

I picked this up from my dad last week, he bought it as a project this spring fixed a few things and sent it my way. He ordered a new fridge that should be here this week, until then it has a small 110v apartment fridge.

The exterior is in decent shape

I plan on chasing some fun.

Apparently it's been around

The interior is in really nice shape, apparently my mom scrubbed it for 3 days though. I didn't see the before pictures.

more coming...

jmetteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #2

Now to the questions... is this vent supposed to stay in the roof and telescope when it is raised and lowered? When I got it I had to fish the pipe out of the lower section. I put a zip tie around it so it does not drop in there again. It doesn't seem to have a positive connection in the upper part though just slips up there.

Raising it seems to be a simple affair, hit the button and up it goes. Lowering it on the other hand is a two person job. You have to have one person hold the cable and push the button.

The second person has to pull this lever then down it comes. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Later,

Jake

Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to johnpeace

I have virtually the same camper, mine's a 1988 FunMaker (20')

There's a lowering solenoid that you can see if you remove the top cover on the lowering valve housing (the little box with the lowering valve handle sticking out of it's side).

Take that cover off and you'll find an adjustable piston on the solenoid, 2 flat wrenches will let you hold the one piece while you turn the other piece out so it makes contact with the lowering valve when the solenoid is engaged.

Take that cover off and have someone press the 'down' switch while you watch the valve...it'll make sense then.

My black water tank vent has a threaded fitting that secures it to the exit port in the ceiling...I just leave it connected all the time and it seems to slide in/out of the lower portion of the pipe with no problem.
johnpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the help!

That did the trick, now it is no longer a 2 person job.

We will be heading out for our first camping trip in it this weekend. I will post some pictures when we get back.

Later,

Jake
Old 09-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #5

Default My first Hi-Lo "1988 20' Funmaker.

I can't get mine to lower. I tried the lever, I tried the piston solenoid thing in the lever box... Is there a manual crank somewhere? I notice it's a little crooked, and one of the slides is off the track on the side that is a little bit lower. I have to get this thing lowered "ASAP!" I've been camped out in it so my apartment complex wouldn't tow it from their apartment complex LOL I'm afraid to move it with the top up, or is that ok to do if I'm not going far?
Funmaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #6

Default FIRST Hi-Lo "NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!"

[QUOTE=Funmaker88;26585]I can't get mine to lower. I tried the lever, I tried the piston solenoid thing in the lever box... Is there a manual crank somewhere? I notice it's a little crooked, and one of the slides is off the track on the side that is a little bit lower. I have to get this thing lowered "ASAP!" I've been camped out in it so my apartment complex wouldn't tow it from their apartment complex LOL I'm afraid to move it with the top up, or is that ok to do if I'm not going far?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funmaker88 View Post
I can't get mine to lower. I tried the lever, I tried the piston solenoid thing in the lever box... Is there a manual crank somewhere? I notice it's a little crooked, and one of the slides is off the track on the side that is a little bit lower. I have to get this thing lowered "ASAP!" I've been camped out in it so my apartment complex wouldn't tow it from their apartment complex LOL I'm afraid to move it with the top up, or is that ok to do if I'm not going far?
No, you should NEVER tow it at all with the top up. It can (and possibly did) cause the top to distort enough to make the slides come off the tracks. That, and having a side that is lower is probably enough to bind the top against the bottom so that it won't slide down freely.

You need to get the slide back on the track. Possibly, if you can raise the lower side (with a friend or two pushing or a farm jack), you can get it back on and things squared away.

I assume you've pulled the cylinder release cable before you hit the down switch?

- Jack
Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Default Oh boy

Yes I pulled the cable, I crawled underneath and cleaned the safety release bar. I tried the release valve on the hydrolic I tried adjusting the solenoid but nothing worked. This camper was in a cattle pasture for 15 years under a tree raised. Some of the wood under the top half (that creates the seal) has rotted out I noticed the back right corner slide off the track before I moved it up and I literally went 4 miles an hour for less than half a mile to a public parking lot across the street from my apartment complex. I'll try lifting the other side with a a couple guys and see if we can get it back on the track. Thanks for the help. If you have any other suggestions let me know. Feel free to shoot me a text if it's easier (214) 235-6351 names Skyler
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
sam

Default 1988 Funmaker

I have a 1990 25ft. Classic so I know all about repairs/rebuilds. No matter what goes wrong it can be fixed.These older trailers are very sturdy. Hang in and we will get your questions answered. Welcome to the forum.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Default Still stuck but I appreciate the input.

Thanks Sam glad to be here, this really has been a fun project. It was in really bad shape when I got it; I mean full of ants, a dead squirrel in the toilet busted plumbing no a/c LOL anything that coulda been wrong or broke was. Ok I jacked up the left side and got it back on the track, cleaned and greased the track but still not lowering... Any ideas?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #11

Default Funmaker 88

Just guessing but do you have a charged battery? The top half has to be raised before you pull the safety cable. After you pull the safety cable the unit normally will lower.

Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Default Got it :)

yes i had a charged battery the whole time, I crawled under the carriage and put a jack on the safety release bar until it hit the button so i didnt have to pull the cable since it was just me then i pushed the button to raise it until it squeeled, but when i hit the down button still nothing i gave the camper a little shake and boom down it came! Thanks for all the help guys I couldnt have done it without yall. a few more questions though lol any ideas on a place in dallas to get the skylight covers? keep in mind im 25 and college was expensive and so is my girlfriend so ive literally been fixing this thing up with materials that I had or got for a few bucks here and there. also ants bad coming out of every crack and hole in the thing, I bombed 7 times i got poison they take back to the nest (that worked for the most part but its been about 3 weeks and im starting to see tiny ants now... oh and i have to spare tire covers, does anyone have a pic of how they have them hooked on back? i will post pics shortly of progress. thanks again!
1988 Hi-Lo Funmaker
Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #13

I have the same year and model of trailer. My spare tire cover just slides over the tire and has a bungee cord that straps it down. May not be original but it works. I will try to post a pic when I get home from work. As for the skylight, Do you have the escape hatch? If so, I actually bought a brand new hatch on Ebay for $99. It's not translucent so it doesnt let light through but it's a very nice unit. I have the one I took out you could have but not in the best of shape. But I'm near Galveston. Here's a link to just a cover for the escape hatch.

Lid Only 22 x 22 Roof Vent Escape Hatch RV Bus Elixir Heng's Lid Only 90129 C1 | eBay

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote