Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

Default New owner of a 94 18'

Hi all, just purchased a 94 18' HiLo trailer. Always thought these made sense as far as towing, never had one before so I thought you folks could help me out on understanding what I have. Any issues I should be aware of on this year? I noticed the ribs behind the sofa/bed and next to the bath area are broken at the attaching screws, thought I would replace these with solid wood pieces so they may hold up better. Any issues with this? The rest of the trailer looks to be in excellent shape other than interior vinyl warping from the AZ heat. Any help would be great. Thanks

bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Congratulations on your HiLo purchase. I would love to see interior and exterior pictures. Post pictures of any problem areas and we will advise you.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Default Thanks Sam

I am still getting my tow vehicle ready so I can take possession of the trailer, I will post pics once I have it home. Just wondering if this model may have issues I need to look at, I already bought it so I just need to know where to look for known problems. (if any)
bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum!

Two major items that you need to be aware of are water leaks and the lift system.

Water leaks can cause major structural damage from wood rot. You need to check all exterior seams and make sure they are well sealed. The roof seams, around roof vents, windows, and any place water could get in.

The lift system requires regular maintenance to keep it working problem free and can easily be neglected. Proper lubrication is essential.

Attached is the video owners manual that covers lots of things we all need to know and review periodically. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/

Stay tuned to the Forum, there is lots to learn here. Use the search feature or just ask and you will get lots of info.

Enjoy your "new" HiLo!
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #5

Default awning

One thing I discovered this past winter was the roll up awning held water and allowed it to leak inside, messing up a perfect wall.
I was going to remove the awning because I see no use for it with our travel plans, but I let a fellow camper friend of mine talk me out of it. Needless to say, it is gone, along with the wind drag and 60 pounds of extra weight. While I can see some people would like these and enjoy them, we plan to travel daily with just an overnight rest stop. If we do decide on a week long outing a dining canopy will work swell.
By the way, I sealed the roof and all seams before closing it up last fall.
Charlie
charlie b is offline   Reply With Quote