Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Default New owners of a 1979 21' Funchaser Questions

My wife and I just got a 1979 Funchaser, These trailers are pretty amazing. So far I am impressed.

I have some questions:

How should I go about replacing the padded "Seal" around the edge of the trailer? The pad is worn and the foam falls out like sticky grainy crumbs.

We camp in the desert so we are worried about getting a good seal (LOTS of dust will blow in) for now we have got Swimming Pool noodles and cut them in half and thet fit nicely around the outside gap. Any other tips you guys use?

I have a 2006 Double Cab Tundra 5.7l v8 to tow the 2700~ lb Funchaser, with the truck loaded with 1000 lbs of gear, do ou think I need sway control? The only towing I've done before this was my 1800lb jet boat and a 1500lb toy hauler.

Thanks!

Mekishiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #2

Mekishiko, congrat's on your purchase. The other members will tell you where to buy the seal and there are a number of videos on this site to help you install it. I can tell you this much about the towing: No, you shouldn't need any kind of sway bar, but you probably should invest in a weight distribution hitch (WDH). You have a relatively light weight pickup and a relatively light load, so don't go into the $600 range for this piece of equipment. There are a number of nice hitches on etrailer.com or at Camping World that will do just fine in the $250-$300 range. It will be all the handling you will need.

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
sam

Default welcome to the forum

I purchased my seal from J&R in Ohio. You can also try Midget Rv also in Ohio. You are correct in using the pool noodles or foam pipe insulation until you can get the seal replaced. This document explains how to break the two halves of the trailer apart and where to place the 2x4s. Another helpful post is outline for replacing the roof gasket (seal).By Sam Shields 4-3-2010. Someone will post a direct link to J&R.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

The pool noodles are as good as it gets for my trlr.
We also are desert campers and the heat and wind take a toll on everything squishy.
I personally don't think that a new waist seal will be as good as the noodles where wind and dust are concerned.
And if you add in the cost difference of $10 for new noodles ?????? for labor and a new seal, it is NO contest.
The noodles work very well keeping in the cold from the AC also.

A WDH is your trucks best friend, and will make your life more tolerable when towing. And added sway control is advised. Check out my TV below. Just back from a 8k mile trip.

just my $.02
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
The pool noodles are as good as it gets for my trlr.
We also are desert campers and the heat and wind take a toll on everything squishy.
I personally don't think that a new waist seal will be as good as the noodles where wind and dust are concerned.
And if you add in the cost difference of $10 for new noodles ?????? for labor and a new seal, it is NO contest.
The noodles work very well keeping in the cold from the AC also.

A WDH is your trucks best friend, and will make your life more tolerable when towing. And added sway control is advised. Check out my TV below. Just back from a 8k mile trip.

just my $.02
I like the pool noodle idea! They are inexpensive and lightweight. I noticed that the front curbside corner on my trailer has a gap in the seals. Doesn't seem worth it at this point to replace the seal. Even though my Towlite is officially a 2007 model, it has the older gray bulb seals from 2006 so noodles it is!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

When I bought my noodles @ wally world there were 4" and 3".
After taking measurements, I used the 4" for the front and rear spaces(uncut) and cut the 3" in half to lay at a level angle and they are pushed into the space to make a tight fit.
I used a clock method of numbering for installation. 12 oclock and 6 oclock are the ends.
It makes easy install in quick fashion.
And cheap is the key word
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #7

What about the seal between the screen door and lower door? That seems to be the only area on mine that needs replacement but I'm not quite sure what to use there.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
What about the seal between the screen door and lower door? That seems to be the only area on mine that needs replacement but I'm not quite sure what to use there.
There should be a piece that is mounted on the inside bottom face of the screen door that has a weather strip that seals against the lower door.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #9

It is there. At least the vinyl material that jacketed it is. There is nothing in it. No foam at all. Gonna have to replace it with something just not sure what.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
sam

Default Replacing door seal

Misfit,I replaced ours on Our 1990 Classic. I had some vinyl material left over from reupholstering a step stool. It is sky blue. The new material can be screwed in or pop riveted. Then we put in some round weather stripping. Put your new material and weather stripping together then reinstall. It may be possible to just insert the weather stripping if the material is okay. This area tends to get chewed up even after replacement. I used a little bit of duct tape. Perhape you can use a dowl rod to push the weather stripping through. The newer models have a different weather strip. Hope this helps. We also used weather stripping shoved in the casing at the water exterior door. Can't remember if their were any more exterior areas where we had to do this.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #11

misfit,

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware store and buy a length of copper water pipe insulation. It comes presplit, just cut to length and mount on the screen door. You can use self tappers to hold it on. This worked for me for several years.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
misfit,

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware store and buy a length of copper water pipe insulation. It comes presplit, just cut to length and mount on the screen door. You can use self tappers to hold it on. This worked for me for several years.

Bob
That's a great idea for the door, going to steal that one for mine, as it's in pretty sad shape as well.

guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote