Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Default new to forum looking at 17 ft HiLo

I am thinking about traveling across state to purchase a 17 ft hilo 2005.I am not sure what options are a must for comfortable camping. we have always camped in a tent. The *** stated it has solar, photo shows the pulldown bed. Is it important to have the manual override and an outside shower?

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

I personally like the idea of a manual pump/override for the raising/lowering mechanism. The reason is that the battery is inaccessible when the top is down.

As an alternative, some people have installed a set of battery cables to the battery terminals and routed them to a heavy duty connector or terminals that are accessible when the top is down. This allows one to hook up jumper cables and raise the top using a good battery.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I am thinking about traveling across state to purchase a 17 ft hilo 2005.I am not sure what options are a must for comfortable camping. we have always camped in a tent. The *** stated it has solar, photo shows the pulldown bed. Is it important to have the manual override and an outside shower?
Since you've always camped in a tent, ANYTHING is going to be "comfortable". The pull down bunk is fine for children, but I would not trust it for myself. The trailer comes with an inside, hand-held shower, so I doubt an outside shower is really needed. You probably would not want to get naked outside in public. I personally think the solar panel that was installed in these things is just a sales gimmick. It is a 15 Watt panel, that would probably maintain your battery charge while the trailer is not in use, but simply will NOT keep up with any normal camping demand.

I don't know what a "manual override" is - maybe a way to raise the trailer if the battery is dead? If so, you definitely want that feature and most of us have it.

But, the trailer has an indoor toilet, indoor cooking, a refrigerator, running water, a furnace, a non-lumpy, level sleeping platform, and more room than a tent, so it's a definite "step up". If you camp where there's an electrical hookup, it probably has air conditioning too.

- Jack
Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Here's the brochure for the '05's and the owners manual for the '04, which should be close enough.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/...-2005-hi-lo-7/

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2004-hi-lo-78/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Default manual override

Thank You for your reply. I thought it would be a good i to have a manual override especially if something went wrong! I am guessing that not all trailers have this option. Thank you Michele
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank You for your reply. I thought it would be a good i to have a manual override especially if something went wrong! I am guessing that not all trailers have this option. Thank you Michele
The manual pump/override was an option on later Towlite trailers like the 17' one. It was standard on the heavier Classic models. I understand that most dealers ordered the option for all trailers; but it is possible to find one without it.

Incidentally, I just looked up the official name of the manual override: Manual Lift System-Backup

2408T
Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Michele,

I'm about an hour south of Anacortes and keep my Hi-Lo at home (I actually keep a boat in Anacortes). If it would be helpful, I can go over the various systems on my trailer with you. Even if it's a 24-footer, many of the things work the same as on a 17-footer. Send me a private message if you want to do this.

2408T