Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Default Newby question

Hi everybody,
We are about to buy a 2007 Hi Lo 22T from a dealer in Pa. The unit appears to be in great shape except for a little water damage right down the edge of the ceiling. The company is telling us that they believe that the A/C leaked and the camper was parked at an angle and the water ran to the edge. All of the roof caulking looks very good and they are going to install a new A/C gasket at no charge to US. I am good at remodeling and repairing so I can repair the roof if necessary. Have any of you experienced roof problems with your units. We can purchase the unit for $6995.00 which sounds reasonable. They will check the unit over and make sure everything is working when we pick it up. Of course there is no warranty on the camper. If anybody has opinions on this unit or advice, we would really appreciate it. Thanks.

mjdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
sam

Default Thinking of buying a Towlite.

My first thought is that several of our HTF members live in Pa. If you say which dealer it is perhaps someone would be willing to check it out for you. Certain years of the towlites have wood frames. Water dammage really travels. The dammage could be in the metal roof.walls and interior ceiling. I would ask to inspect the roof when the AC is removed to see the roof,ceiling dammage for your self. Water dammage can be very costly and time consuming. For that kind of money you could pick up a RV without any water dammage. We have a check list on the forum of what to look for in a used unit.I would hate to see you get burned with a lot of water dammage. One of our members in California had a towlite for sale. It was in great shape with extras. Water dammage of any kind is a big red flag.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
sam

Default Thinking of buying a Towlite.

You are very wise to ask for advice before you purchase. I don't know if this one has been sold. Try looking up this back post. 2203(22ft-2003) towlite for sale southern California. You could always have a transport bring it to you. If i was going to buy Towlite i would buy this one. This poster is very experienced and knows how to take care of an RV. Fireballsocal 2203 towlite for sale southern California. 9-28-2012. Let us know what you decide.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdaniel View Post
Hi everybody,
We are about to buy a 2007 Hi Lo 22T from a dealer in Pa. The unit appears to be in great shape except for a little water damage right down the edge of the ceiling. The company is telling us that they believe that the A/C leaked and the camper was parked at an angle and the water ran to the edge. All of the roof caulking looks very good and they are going to install a new A/C gasket at no charge to US. I am good at remodeling and repairing so I can repair the roof if necessary. Have any of you experienced roof problems with your units. We can purchase the unit for $6995.00 which sounds reasonable. They will check the unit over and make sure everything is working when we pick it up. Of course there is no warranty on the camper. If anybody has opinions on this unit or advice, we would really appreciate it. Thanks.
mjdaniel,

The price for your 2407 is pretty low as HiLo's go and you should beware of a potential problem, especially with the roof and the tell tale ceiling panel damage. Please take a few minutes and read the posts regarding roof repair. We have a 2406 T and I have done extensive repairs on the roof due to electrolysis and several otherson this forum have experienced the same problem.

Start here and scroll to the bottom and read up and see what had to be done to repair our roof:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/roof-repair-1685/

I am uploading a couple of pics that you should look at and compare to the roof on the RV you are considering buying. If the 'metal rot' [electrolysis] is present on your roof, you will have to go through some of the same steps we have all taken.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More holes in roof.jpg (78.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Multiple spots.jpg (80.7 KB, 21 views)
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

A 2207 Towlite has an aluminum frame.

I had 2 leaks on my 2209, both were where the aluminum roof sheets were crimped together, the crimping tool crimped to deep into the aluminum on the door side and when the sheet was bent down over the edge, one of the top crimps cracked open on both ends of the sheet. The factory guy must have saw it and put caulk on it, but he must have been blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other as the caulk was not centered on the cracks, only the feather edge of the caulk covered the cracks. In time the edge left go and allowed water in, these were very hard to find as the cracks was not visible. I only found them when I decided to remove all the caulk on the roof and re caulk. I found mine in time and there was little damage. So check very carefully.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

PopRichie77;16266]A 2207 Towlite has an aluminum frame

I would like to know if ours is aluminum or wood. How would I go about finding that info?

Kathy
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
PopRichie77;16266]A 2207 Towlite has an aluminum frame

I would like to know if ours is aluminum or wood. How would I go about finding that info?

Kathy
What year and model is your HiLo?
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

Towlites from 1993 ( first year I believe ) to around 1998 had wood framing, 1999 has steel framing. From 2002 up both models had aluminum framing.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
If I had read from the top I wouldn't have asked this question.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post

The metal tag on the front says the model # is 31 WBS but that doesn't look like other model numbers I've seen posted here. It is a 1999.

Kathy
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Towlites from 1993 ( first year I believe ) to around 1998 had wood framing, 1999 has steel framing. From 2002 up both models had aluminum framing.
What about the classics? We have a 1999 Classic

Kathy
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #12

Classic models always had metal framing, as far as I know. It was steel until 2002 then aluminum.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Classic models always had metal framing, as far as I know. It was steel until 2002 then aluminum.
Good to know. Thanks

Kathy