Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Default one way to transport my scooter . . .

Have been taking the rear tailgate off but still pondering mounting to the rear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0704161640a.jpg (285.5 KB, 32 views)

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #2

Id leave as is or mount to the front. seriously. That would be a hell of a lot of weight hanging off the back. I'm real of conscious of just hanging a couple of bicycles back there, especially with the short wheel base you are using for tow vehicle.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

I added a hitch to the back of my 2407T and got a hitch mounted carrier for my 300 lb WR250R. The trailer became un-towable. To much weight in the background? or too much weight taken off the hitch? I don't know but the tail was definitely wagging the Tacoma. I ended up mounting a small carrier to the hitch for the poop tank and grill, bike went in the back (angled corner to corner) but I had to add air bags. Didn't really like having the tailgate off but used four tie downs and traveled many miles without incident.

I haven't tried the bike on the back with the F150 but I expect the result would be the same. Plus the bike fits (again angled corner to corner) in the 5.5' box with the tail gate closed.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #4

I've carried my dirt bike in the back of my van while towing the hi-lo, and this works fine except one has to unhitch to off-load the bike. I have a receiver on the front of my van which made a front carrier usable. The bike weighs 280lbs which doesn't seem like a lot until it bounces around on a bumpy road. I'm also blocking the headlights which isn't the greatest. I'm now convinced a lighter weight errand runner like a Vespa scooter is the ticket because they weigh in at under 200lbs and smaller tires so it sits lower. I'm looking at one this weekend.

I just retired a week ago so it's time to get everything sorted out for longer road trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01076.jpg (351.0 KB, 18 views)
Yerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Site Team

I remember seeing the Hi Lo pix with the camo! As we generally park "in the trees", looks like a great idea. Thanks
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the input fellas I appreciate it. My bike runs around 220 lb and the hitch carrier is all aluminum. It also uses no tie downs (add-a-bike) and I'm able to slightly angle the bike toward my truck. I was thinking of mounting it in the back at at least two points. I'd like to think it's doable but sounds like the smartest way to go is to add air bags in and just keep doing what I'm doing. btw how does my rear sag look?

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote