Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Default Please identify this 1703T mystery switch

When we bought the camper, the Seller pointed at it and mumbled something but I've long forgotten what he said, duh, and male pride prevents me from asking after a few months have passed.

Here it be, right next to the furnace thermostat:

It has no effect on the furnace operation or, apparently, anything else.

Four wires connected: red, white and two black. The light is functional as I discovered when accidently shorting the red to one of the blacks! tsk.

Anybody know what this switch is, or is it an addition by a previous owner?

Thanks for looking.

Ted and Luisa.

Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Ted, I have a 27' Tow Lite and on my unit this simple looking switch is for my water heater. I open the tank valve, then light the stove burner to ensure flow. I turn off the burner, and flip that switch and after a while the water heater begins heating the water. Just a note though, it will take time for the gas to get to the heater, so this light will go on and off until the igniter actually ignites the fuel. This is of course if everything functioning correctly.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Ted, I have a 27' Tow Lite and on my unit this simple looking switch is for my water heater. I open the tank valve, then light the stove burner to ensure flow. I turn off the burner, and flip that switch and after a while the water heater begins heating the water. Just a note though, it will take time for the gas to get to the heater, so this light will go on and off until the igniter actually ignites the fuel. This is of course if everything functioning correctly.
Tree
Excellent. I just went out there and, in the dead of night, I set the mystery switch to ON (the gas was already on) and, lo, a noise came from the forward port side under the bed. Don't know whether it's functioning because I didn't wait - but at least I know now what the switch is!

I do like these campers - two or three ways of doing everything!

Thanks for your good info,

Ted.
Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Sure hope you had water in the system!
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa48 View Post
When we bought the camper, the Seller pointed at it and mumbled something but I've long forgotten what he said, duh, and male pride prevents me from asking after a few months have passed.

Here it be, right next to the furnace thermostat:

It has no effect on the furnace operation or, apparently, anything else.

Four wires connected: red, white and two black. The light is functional as I discovered when accidently shorting the red to one of the blacks! tsk.

Anybody know what this switch is, or is it an addition by a previous owner?

Thanks for looking.

Ted and Luisa.
Mine is for the pump, used when not connected to city water. Make sure you have water in your fresh water tank.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #6
sam

Default Water heater

Just to reinforce a point that could turn into an expensive mistake. Make sure you have water in your water heater before you turn on the water heater switch.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Since it has "Atwood" on it, it's probably the water heater.

Here's a link to the owner's manual for the 2004 model year trailers: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2004-hi-lo-78/ It should be correct for your 2003 trailer. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the switch.

Then, and this is a real bonanza, here's a link to the U-tube videos that Sting32 posted a couple years back: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/ The one in the link is just the introduction, but there are videos on virtually EVERY system in the HiLo.

The one that shows the control panel switches is Video #10. Your switch doesn't look like any of those, but with "Atwood" on it, I'm guessing water heater.

- Jack
Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

You may have the water heater with electronic ignition only. If it is one with an electric heat element there would be dual switches with a red indicator in between.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #9

Default I have this same mystery switch...

...and I'm learning a lot from this thread! As I understand it, if you have this switch and not the white box with a electric bolt and flame pictured, this switch only lights the water heater using propane? Electric heating is not an option? The manual is so vague. Second silly question... The water for the water heater is drawn from the fresh water tank and/or city water? There isn't a separate tank to fill?
Thanks!
KimmieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Hi Kimmie - Don't know anything about your water heater, but it could be propane only I suppose. Or maybe, electric only? I dunno. Fill your fresh water tank and turn it on. If it only lights when connected to shore power, I'd guess you have an electric water heater.

And yes, the hot water heater fills from the fresh water tank or city water. There's no separate tank on my trailer to fill. I THINK, if the water system is "pressurized" (city or pump), it forces water into the hot water tank. If you open a hot tap until water runs out, the tank should be full.

Thinking about this (always dangerous) if you run your fresh water tank empty, it SHOULD leave water in the hot water tank (possibly a nearly full level) since there won't be anything to "push" it out. This is important if you live where it freezes - you need to open the drain plug and get the water out of the hot water tank that way to winterize.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:47 AM   #11

Thank you for your reply!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

Not all water heaters had electric, it was an option. At least you have electronic ignition which saves on gas from not having to light a pilot light which stays on all the time and has to be lit manually. Make sure the heater is full before turning it on.

Things like it have separate manuals which can be found either in the Forum's library or from the companies that built them.

Here is a manual for an Atwood water heater:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f66/...or-manual-154/

Here is one for the Suburban brand:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f66/...sw-series-155/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #13

Thank you Rich! I've never used propane and I've been a little nervous about getting theese things up and running. ��
Old 09-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieB View Post
Thank you Rich! I've never used propane and I've been a little nervous about getting theese things up and running. ��
Kimmie - propane is very easy to use and is quite safe. It's also very economical. A tankful lasts a long time. If you've ever used natural gas in your home (water heater, stove, oven, furnace, etc.), it's not much different.

- Jack
Old 09-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Not all water heaters had electric, it was an option. At least you have electronic ignition which saves on gas from not having to light a pilot light which stays on all the time and has to be lit manually. Make sure the heater is full before turning it on.

Things like it have separate manuals which can be found either in the Forum's library or from the companies that built them.

Here is a manual for an Atwood water heater:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f66/...or-manual-154/

Here is one for the Suburban brand:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f66/...sw-series-155/
My trailer doesn't have the electric option.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote